World of Warcraft in 3x1 Portrait SLI, good or bad?

Boyiee

Limp Gawd
Looking through some threads I see some people saying WoW doesn't respond well to portrait in SLI, be it in DX9 or 11.

I'm grabbing either a new 30inch or 3 u23/u24's this month, but I mostly play WoW. Running 2x 570's in SLI and want to make sure the game I put the most time into will run well on the setup.

Whichever one runs it better will probably be my choice. Screenshots and videos don't say much, Vega's spreadsheet was 3x30inch monitors so I don't know if I can go by that as far as performance goes since I'd be 23 or 24inch.

I've found WoW works fine in portrait in both DX9 and DX11 with SLI surround. My benchmark thread that includes WoW is under revision.

Well damn, guess that makes it a bit more difficult to decide.

I understand the thought process of getting a 30inch, that way down the line you can add another, etc. I don't know about that, that's the price of a decent used car lol.

It's really hard to determine if I'd enjoy 3x1 or one 30inch with a secondary monitor on the side without any opportunity for hands on. This makes the 30inch seem like a safer buy since it's just bigger of what I already have.

I play Wow on 480's in sli in Nvidia Portrait surround. No issues here at all @ DX11. Everything in Ultra and 4 x Anti. In SW with lots of traffic never see it under 56 fps. Usually its over 100.

Well good to know it runs well. That does indeed make me debate the 30inch vs 3x1 setup even more.

How long have you been running it? Still enjoyable/any regrets? Think you'd prefer it over 1x30"?

Yeah I've watched that which is one of the main reasons I want to go for it.

Looking over eBay I found this http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DELL-U2410-...ryZ80053QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

U2410 for 495, free shipping, that makes 3 for 1485. The U3011 from dell would run 1400, so for pretty much the same price as one 30inch, I'd get 3 24s and a ton more pixels.

at that price point I'm almost forced into getting the 3 24inch monitors. Now it's a question of if the U2410's are worth the premium over the U2311's. I think it's about a $645 difference.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah I've watched that which is one of the main reasons I want to go for it.

Looking over eBay I found this http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DELL-U2410-...ryZ80053QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

U2410 for 495, free shipping, that makes 3 for 1485. The U3011 from dell would run 1400, so for pretty much the same price as one 30inch, I'd get 3 24s and a ton more pixels.

at that price point I'm almost forced into getting the 3 24inch monitors. Now it's a question of if the U2410's are worth the premium over the U2311's. I think it's about a $645 difference.

Well 16:10 seems preferable over 16:9 in portrait modes. His video looked cool but the bottom bars spanning on to the side monitors bugged me too.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Most of the videos and pictures of 3x1 in portrait were of the 16:9 monitors, doesn't look bad at all. It's come down to U2311H vs U3011 at this point. 800-850 for 3 new 23", or 900-1400 for one 30" with one of my old 26" on the side.

I can always go the cheap method and get the U2311H's, if I don't like them I should be able to resell/return them for a 30inch without much trouble.

You sound sold on the 2311's so go ahead and let us know how you like it. Be sure to post pics!

Well 16:10 seems preferable over 16:9 in portrait modes. His video looked cool but the bottom bars spanning on to the side monitors bugged me too.

After playing for a while I forget the bars are there and just enjoy the game. I cant tell you this, from my entire gaming experience, from the day to the Atari 2600 to now, I have never felt so immerse in a game until I got this setup. First time I played I was like OMG and all you see is the actual game in-front of you and boom your in the game.

Batman AA was an awesome game to play this way, I beat it and was a bit sad that my adventure was over. No more adjusting my wrist when I left my computer office.

Last edited:
I use landscape.
Don't play WoW, but I wouldn't trade Surround/EyeFinity for anything but a holodeck.:D

It's just a crime how much game you miss on a single monitor.

Damn raiding would be awesome with a setup like that. Raid awareness must shoot through the roof.

3x24 WoW user here. My system is 1x2407wfp and 2xU2410's on a single 5870 so less eyecandy but still great overall experience. I have done both portrait and landscape extensively. My suggestion, if you like the look of 1x3 portrait, forget multimonitor and grab a 30". However, I started off with portrait and moved over to landscape and stayed that way almost exclusively. Back when I first did portrait I was almost agrivated with myself for adding 2 more 24"s instead of selling off my original 2407 and buying one 30", until I really tried landscape and have been happy with my purchase ever since. Of course if you do go 30" route, don't come crying to me when you want to add 2 more and are selling your body for crack. This is not my problem :D

Omegas - When playing in landscape, what Mods do you use to fix the great divide between the Minimap and the Status bars?

(Also text is HUGE)

Thanks

crits/damage are fixed with SCT-Damage (there's two SCT's), MoveAnything - name says it all. About the only thing I can't figure out is the "V" targeting where the names/healthbar show up HUGE. Everything else is good.

Most of the videos and pictures of 3x1 in portrait were of the 16:9 monitors, doesn't look bad at all. It's come down to U2311H vs U3011 at this point. 800-850 for 3 new 23", or 900-1400 for one 30" with one of my old 26" on the side.

I can always go the cheap method and get the U2311H's, if I don't like them I should be able to resell/return them for a 30inch without much trouble.

Hey you'd better look at this:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1574792

U3011 is 33% off! ;)

If you haven't pulled the trigger yet, then I think the decision just got made for you. Hell, I'm not even in the market nor can I really afford it atm, but I'm soooo tempted.

lol I think it did just get made for me. Shit I was all set to go buy a new desk and those 3 23's but damn, almost $400 off. You don't need to put a gun to my head for that.

Back