World of Warcraft has just stolen my life!

wiskeychris

Limp Gawd
WOW! This game is amazing. I heard all the hype for months, but never thought I could really get into a MMORPG. Boy was I wrong. I started on Friday with a level 1 Paladin. I'm now a level 10 paladin. I've been playing almost non stop all weekend, and I'm having a blast! Coolest moment was sitting in the bar at Goldshire and meeting some people, chatting with them for about a half hour, then forming a party and going out and kicking some tail! Awsome game.

Youll get your life back once you hit L60 since the game takes a massive nosedive for most at that point.

Its like climbing a mountain, reaching the peak, then falling off the other side to your death.

I don't ever remember a game that was so great then turned so bad that quickly as with WoW.

I gotta second Doom's opinion. WoW was the first MMORPG I managed to enjoy.. for a while. Interesting world, decent levelling speed, lots of stuff to do... until you hit that glass ceiling known as lvl60. The fun goes down the tube.. you get two options A) Join a guild and play the same 5 instances from now until eternity, or B) Join a larger guild and do two superinstances from now until eternity. Well, I suppose these days there is C) Play PvP instances that don't particularily affect the world or provide anything other than a diversion.

Not to say I don't mind being a team player, but I'd like a team that went new places, did exciting things, and discovered unknown portions of the world.... not a team that kills the same freaking guy for the 50th time so that person #5 can get the same item the other 4 people have, which all bear this guy I've helped kill 50 times' name. Yay, continuity!

Seriously, is there ANY MMORPG where the lategame premise isn't to kill the same NPCs repeatedly for some new item everyone else has? Couldn't they at least have some random name generator give the guy a new name, and just refer to him/her by their title I.E. "go kill warlord _insert name here_"? Even that would make more sense...

diablo 2... which isnt really a mmo as it is just an rpg/something else

good times diablo 2, good times

Toilet Duck said:
I gotta second Dooms opinion. WoW was the first MMORPG I managed to enjoy.. for a while. Interesting world, decent levelling speed, lots of stuff to do... until you hit that glass ceiling known as lvl60. The fun goes down the tube.. you get two options A) Join a guild and play the same 5 instances from now until eternity, or B) Join a larger guild and do two superinstances from now until eternity.

Not to say I don't mind being a team player, but I'd like a team that went new places, did exciting things, and discovered unknown portions of the world. Not a team that kills the same freaking guy for the 50th time so that person #5 can get the same item the other 4 people have, which all bear this guy I've helped kill 50 times' name. Yay, continuity!

^100% Correct

L60 in a nutshell:

1.Farm UBRS for Onyxia keys
2.Farm Onyxia
3.Farm Molten Core
4.Bang your head against Blackwing Beta-Test Lair
5.Play their skilless poorly designed PvP
6.Put up with untested content and nerfs or have your class ignored completely
7.Run around with thousands of other L60s who aren't any good and got there in weeks
8.Have your Uber Guild all quit because the game sucks at L60
9.Watch your class flatline and learn no new skills or become unique
10. Base the whole end game on getting better gear that gets soon trumped by new gear in easier areas

is WoW a game where u dont have to play warcraft I,II, or III to understand the game?

roninblade said:
is WoW a game where u dont have to play warcraft I,II, or III to understand the game?

Yes.

I never like RTS games and WoW requires no WC knowledge other than the lore of the world to enrich the experience.

what about expansions, i haven't read into it any at all, but they'll be on their way soon enough.

Kortiz DZ said:
what about expansions, i haven't read into it any at all, but they'll be on their way soon enough.

If their expansions are anything like their "new" content they have been adding then it won't be worth the price of the disc its burned on.

Just look at Raganros 1.0+, Onyxia, or the ultra buggy Bug-wing Lair

Who wants to pay $14.99 a month to beta test?

The only person who would enjoy it would be an Orkin man because you know it will be full of bugs.

Well.....Level 60 is a long way off for me, so I'm going to have a lot of fun until then I guess. Then I may move on to a different game. Either way, I'm having a blast right now.

wiskeychris said:
Well.....Level 60 is a long way off for me, so I'm going to have a lot of fun until then I guess. Then I may move on to a different game. Either way, I'm having a blast right now.

WoW is some of the most fun I have ever had gaming on the way to L60. Don't be worried, just take your time and savor it. Some of the best parts of the game are Deadmines, Scarlet Monastary, Uldamann, getting your mount and just riding around, your first Blue, your first Purple, joining a good guild, and just the feeling of being strong enough to see parts of the world that you previously couldn't.

I am just incredibly bitter that the fun comes to a screeching halt so suddenly. Once I realized I was playing a virtually unfinished game and I knew it was quitting time I was gutted.

The game begins petering out at about L50 and really drops off at L60 into the abyss.

[Fate]Doom said:
WoW is some of the most fun I have ever had gaming on the way to L60. Don't be worried, just take your time and savor it. Some of the best parts of the game are Deadmines, Scarlet Monastary, Uldamann, getting your mount and just riding around, your first Blue, your first Purple, joining a good guild, and just the feeling of being strong enough to see parts of the world that you previously couldn't.

I am just incredibly bitter that the fun comes to a screeching halt so suddenly. Once I realized I was playing a virtually unfinished game and I knew it was quitting time I was gutted.

The game begins petering out at about L50 and really drops off at L60 into the abyss.

Well I have some good times ahead of me, being on my second try now with a Warrior class 10th level, and the game seems all that much the second time, feels like I missed alot of parts or areas the first

Don't be fooled, the game is a blast at 60 if you like to PvP or have a guild to run high-end instances with. Almost half of my /played time has been at level 60 now, and I won't be quitting any time soon.

The game really comes into it's own at level 60 if you have the time to put in for it. If you join a guild that is just starting to learn Molten Core and can learn with them you will have a great time. It's really who you play with that will make your experience.

D1sc1pl3 0f Mal1c3 said:
Don't be fooled, the game is a blast at 60 if you like to PvP or have a guild to run high-end instances with. Almost half of my /played time has been at level 60 now, and I won't be quitting any time soon.

Been there, done that.

You can't possible tell me you are enjoying Molten Core, Onyxia kills every five days, and the worst instance ever Beta-wing Lair.

I have seen 99% of the end game content. I quit about 10 days after BWL was realeased when alot of people started quitting out of frustration. I would guess about 30 members of my old 80 member guild quit in a three day period for the same reasons, end game sucks.

If you are enjoying it I am happy someone is, but most people I talked to before quitting were fed up also. Alot of the Elite guilds have had alot of people quit or take "time off" due to being sick of MC, Onyxia, and BWL just sucking.

Toilet Duck said:
I gotta second Doom's opinion. WoW was the first MMORPG I managed to enjoy.. for a while. Interesting world, decent levelling speed, lots of stuff to do... until you hit that glass ceiling known as lvl60. The fun goes down the tube.. you get two options A) Join a guild and play the same 5 instances from now until eternity, or B) Join a larger guild and do two superinstances from now until eternity. Well, I suppose these days there is C) Play PvP instances that don't particularily affect the world or provide anything other than a diversion.

Not to say I don't mind being a team player, but I'd like a team that went new places, did exciting things, and discovered unknown portions of the world.... not a team that kills the same freaking guy for the 50th time so that person #5 can get the same item the other 4 people have, which all bear this guy I've helped kill 50 times' name. Yay, continuity!

Seriously, is there ANY MMORPG where the lategame premise isn't to kill the same NPCs repeatedly for some new item everyone else has? Couldn't they at least have some random name generator give the guy a new name, and just refer to him/her by their title I.E. "go kill warlord _insert name here_"? Even that would make more sense...

Completely agree, WOW's endgame SUCKS. Even the levelling up is just quest grinds, and nothing really else. I play Dark Age of Camelot, which has a good endgame in both pve, and realm-versus-realm PVP combat. It is incredibly fun, and very deep.

I have also heard good things about City of Heroes, with its upcoming City of Villains expansion pack, though I have never played it myself.

I'm at the farming MC status with my guild, working on taking down ragnaros now :)

So far I've gotten some kick ass gear for my warrior:

Quel'Serrar
Drillborer Disk
Gloves of Might
much more epics to come

When I first hit 60 back in January I never thought id come this far.(Rare sets were awesome then lol) That was back when only like 2 guilds even step foot in Molten Core(Ascent and Fury, both on my server).

There definitely is life after 60, but blizzard needs quests that explain the story of MC more.

I don't think the detractors (including myself) are complaining that nothing exists for level 60s. I think the complaint is that what does exist is excessively repetitive.

Another way of saying it is this: When you are doing similar quests constantly from 1-55, you are also exploring the world, seeing new places, and taking in the scenery. From time to time, you stumble upon a unique quest that keeps ya interested in levelling further. This, combined with the feeling of progress (i.e. "Heck yes level 40! I can survive in ____ now!") keeps people hooked.

But, from 55 to 60, things switch gears. At first, all of the above applies, since you have finally entered the "end game". However, a week or two later, you lose all sense of progress. There are no levels to be gained, no new zones to explore, and few if any quests left outside of instances. Instances themselves are interesting, to an extent... but after you've explored the entirety of the places, gone back a second, third, fourth, and fifth time to complete most of the quests inside, and then go back another five or six times to help a friend get through it, followed by going another fifteen times on quick runs with your guild.. Do you see where I'm going with this? At some point in time, there's nothing "new" left. The only interest/progress there is to be had is the "Well, _____ has a 5% drop rate, so if I'm lucky I only have to endure 10 more 4 hour instance runs for it! Unless someone else is awarded it/outrolls me".

For some people, that's exciting and rewarding. They like knowing that they had to do 50 runs and win a lucky roll to recieve some rather rare armor or weapon that only two or three people have (as opposed to every other level 60 for their previous equipment). For others, though, this is a complete reversal from how the rest of the game was laid out. Hence the whiners, like myself.

It's just a gameplay preference, I suppose. I'd still be playing WoW 8 hours a day if there was some long term goal to work towards. Something meaningful, that is. Not "I spent 1 week of my life (playtime), but I got this armor that's 10% better than everyone elses! I AM SUPERIOR!" But, facts are facts.. every game has to end sometime, and for one without much player driven content like WoW, that's when the quests/world dries up. Which, for many people, is right about the time of Blackrock Spire Run #142.

yah i am kind of dreading hitting 60... think once i hit 60 on my alliance lock i'll try an orc warrior and see if that is as fun.

and when you get to the point where all the content is dried up...do you look back and think...wow I just spent several months indoors, using all of my time exclusively to play pc games....i'm a computer nerd....i need to get a life?

That's why I never got into MMORPG's....I can't stand the thought of spending all that time in a single game. It seems terribly distasteful...they are like the borg, absorbing all your free time.

HAHA
i feel your disgust and hope i do not become a borg, cause i just bought the bitch

Archaea said:
That's why I never got into MMORPG's....I can't stand the thought of spending all that time in a single game. It seems terribly distasteful...they are like the borg, absorbing all your free time.

I totally understand what you are talking about. I've played EQ prior to WoW and knew some people that played EQ all day... all night.. slept here and there every single day... Obviously un-employed, or on welfare, or a rare instance where the person is filthy rich and can afford to sit there all day..

However, I hope you don't label every mmorpg player like how you just described. Myself, and fiancee have both played mmorpgs at a casual pace, logging less hours some weeks than people are online to check e-mail. There is NO arguement that you are competing to get the highest level or best loot... people think it matters, but it doesn't. What matters is the social aspect of these games.. raiding MC with friends, some you know outside the game, and others you have met through the game is just the same as logging into a CS server, playing poker online, or hitting a chat room for the night... Its a fun way to spend an evening with friends many nights... Other nights you hit the bar and get wasted embarrasing yourself with bad karoke and bad jokes.. Other nights its movie nights just the two of us with our cat..

I know many couples and friends that work fulltime, some in the medical profession, that play MMORPGs very casually and suceed in raids, loot, epic quests all the time. I also knew a guy that weighed 350+ pounds in real life, played 12+ hours everyday, lived on welfare, yet... he had the most uber warrior on that EQ server.. When his life hit a huge slump, he hit addiction counciling (yes im serious) and quit EQ... Kinda funny tho, he ebayed his account and got $2000 american. Then ebayed his money seperately for $800 american. :p

ojax

Meh, I got sick of it after a month. Too damn repetative. Go get this, go get that, go retrieve 5 of these, go take this message, go return this message. They are all "different" quest but they are exactly the same.

If you are going to play WoW wait a few years, I quit when my guild got Ragnaros down to 17% becasue it felt like work and any time I spent playing outside of MC was boring.

I just passed 60 days logged on the other day, and I am still having a blast.

Have cleared MC/Ony multiple times, and I agree it does get boring... but thats what ventrillo is for.

PvP is a lot of fun for me still... haven't had a chance to hit up AV yet, stupid hordes wont queue for it :(

I imagine I will be playing this game for at least another year or two.

I've been level 60 on my rogue since january or february and i'm still having fun too. Molten Chore is kind of lame, but I have fun with onyxia and I enjoy Blackwing Lair sinc it is challenging. It's all about finding a good guild and some friends to have fun with.

I have not hit 60 yet with my second character, almost, hit 55 yesterday. I look forward to doing the high level instances and getting some might gear for my warrior. I have not tried either BG yet, so that is something else I have to look forward to.

I would really like to see more battlegrounds added, yes I know arathi basin is on the way, but I would like to see some dealing with the historic events in the warcraft universe. I mean how awesome would it to be to have a Omaha beach level, just like the opening cinematic of warcraft 2, where the horde are landing there craft a la tides of darkness.

Coming in patch 1.8:

--Azshara Crater

A blood war rages between the Quel’dorei Exiles and the Sunstrider Legion as they battle to the death to claim sources of ancient magic buried beneath the vast Azshara Crater. Destroy all opposing strongholds with mighty siege weapons to declare victory in this epic 40v40 battleground!

And also...

Siege weapon combat has been introduced to the Alterac Valley battleground.

Hmm i still have a lot of fun at lvl 60.. matter of fact i have 2 60's.. Warrior is well decked out in gear and my rogue is getting to that point quickly. I think a lot of fun goes towards playing other classes. Some people only like to concentrate on one character. I think you lose a lot of gameplay by doing so. I like seeing how the other classes work.. Their strengths and weaknesses during battles etc. Comes in handy when I jump onto my Warrior to pvp because I know what they can and can't do.. Small example is knowing the dead zone of hunters, warriors, rogues etc. Or if you see a warlock casting shadowbolt.. run through him so it cancels his spell because he can't see you (not in front of him no more).. stuff like that.. Comes in very handy.. gotta hate mind flay though ^-^

Right now i'm working on a lvl 51 priest.. then after that working on my 22 mage then maybe my 24 hunter ^-^

I do realize some people get bored easy though. I like to even take time out to follow a guildy around stealthed w/ my rogue to make sure he doesn't get ganked on the PVP server. When they see me pop up and kill the guy about to gankem they are nothing but thankful .. STV ftw rofl.

Just my 2 cents
-Dill

WoW is deffinitly an Awesome game! I started playing it about 2 months ago and have already logged over 15 days on my main character, not to mention my alts. I started with the Alliance side and haven't gone to the darkside in hopes that once i reach lvl 60 i will find a new begining with the Horde and it will keep the game fun for that much longer.

-seg-

Play AO, one of the first MMO's out there and has about (with new expansion comin out) 300 levels to get through. I think it's free now w.out expansions.

Seems like an awful lot of [H] members here that aren't in the [H] guild.....what's up with that? :p

hardguild.net

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[ said:
Seems like an awful lot of [H] members here that aren't in the [H] guild.....what's up with that? :p

hardguild.net

meh... I'm just too well established on Skywall. Kinda hard to leave when I am well respected enough to not even need to look for instance groups (in and out of guild groups)... they seem to find me.

Oh... and I'm a Gnome riding a NE mount, which took too much work to just walk away from.

Back