World of Warcraft Documentary

Maybe it's sad maybe it's not but vanilla WoW when I was 14-16 were the best times of my life. The community, the gear, the PvP, the discoveries.. too good. I remember I was in the back seat of my parents car one night and the most loser-ish thought came to my mind: "I enjoy WoW so much I'll probably play this game and only this game for the rest of my life".. and I was okay with that thought, lol. I then quit sometime after TBC came out and cross realm servers were a thing and the sense of community was lost. Tried a few times in TBC and WOTLK to get back into it but it felt too different and I didn't enjoy it anymore...even though those expansions are considered good, I guess.

Raiding was hardcore business back then, epics were epic, gold was hard to acquire, accomplishments were accomplishments, PvP was super exciting and adrenaline inducing. It just didn't cater to casuals and took skill and dedication instead of things being handed to you. I liked it a lot. One big thing that was broken was gaining rank 13-14 in PvP. You really had to share the account with friends/Chinese because you almost (and in some cases, especially towards the end) had to literally PvP 24/7 if you wanted to get R13/14 because of the way the honor (PvP points) system worked back then. I was part of our server's premade and that's what those people had to do. It felt sleazy and unfair.

The days before gaming was mainstream and relegated to loser nerds. The good old times 🤓

Last edited by a moderator:
Crt were absolute trash. Haven't had a headache due to monitors since switching to led.

Crt were absolute trash. Haven't had a headache due to monitors since switching to led.
Despite their amazing response times they were. I can still get headaches from displays with really bad PWM, but for the most part I don't unless I'm looking at monitors for 18+ hours which does happen.

I have to know, do you use the gentle glide tampons as well?
CRT's were terrible. They had bad geometry and noticeable flicker compared to nicer LCD's. Aside from the response times and better blacks, they weren't good. The Trinitron was the gold standard and all of them had a clear visible flaw in the image and yet it was praised time and time again. They also generated a ton of heat and weighed a metric ton. I had some of the best CRT's that ever existed and you couldn't pay me to go back.

CRT's were terrible. They had bad geometry and noticeable flicker compared to nicer LCD's. Aside from the response times and better blacks, they weren't good. The Trinitron was the gold standard and all of them had a clear visible flaw in the image and yet it was praised time and time again. They also generated a ton of heat and weighed a metric ton. I had some of the best CRT's that ever existed and you couldn't pay me to go back.
It's only been in the past few years that I could live with LCD's. For me the response time was critical. I love CRT's.

The early 13-15 inch LCDs had extremely terrible input lag, very low refresh rates, and were mostly using VGA inputs. It took a long time for LCDs to catch up to CRTs in a lot of ways. People compare current LCDs to CRTs and forget about passive matrix LCDs and how terrible the color was on early LCDs. You could have 2 of the same LCDs side by side and the colors could be wildly different between them.

The early 13-15 inch LCDs had extremely terrible input lag, very low refresh rates, and were mostly using VGA inputs. It took a long time for LCDs to catch up to CRTs in a lot of ways. People compare current LCDs to CRTs and forget about passive matrix LCDs and how terrible the color was on early LCDs. You could have 2 of the same LCDs side by side and the colors could be wildly different between them.
And the ghosting was pretty bad too when LCDs were just becoming mainstream in offices if I remember right.

I used to play CS 1.6 and CS:S on cheap eMachines CRTs and didn't find reasons to complain back then (y) eye fatigue was a bit... fatiguing. But other than that all was good with CRTs in my eyes (ha.. ha. good one.). The sounds they would make when turned on and off were cool, too. Kind of a "rev up your engines" feelings.

WoW documentary turned into CRT discussion :)

Anyway I started in vanilla like many. I'm still playing, and actually even raiding, but I'm going to quit in a couple of weeks when my sub expires.
The game is too much repetition.
Repetition, repetition, repetition.
Raids, dungeons, daily quests, Torghast, the other activities. I'm not autistic, I have issues with repeating things.
So I'm going to give New World a chance, play that until it starts feeling repetitive/boring, quit then find something new to play. There will always be something.
I still haven't touched the new ESO expansion or finished my season char in BDO. I also want to give the new SW:TOR expansion a go because I find the single player/story rather fun.

My account started Nov 23 2004. Collector's Edition too. People used to ask me about my Mini Diablo all the time. I think a lot of people forget how much of a pain it was to find 39 other people to raid with. But if you did, it certainly was the golden years. And we primarily did it for the bragging rights. The set bonuses on stuff would give just enough mp/5 for a healer to cast one extra heal during a boss fight. I mean, really? I've tanked Rag in Vanilla. Ran T3 Naxx. That whole bit. BWL was a pain for us. We just couldn't get a solid 40 people together. Running 15-man UBRS every night was a great way to spend some time.

The best was WotLK. We had 25 of us and raid three times a week. We had it nailed. Top guild on the server. Bleeding edge content. Had everything nailed down by the second week. I sat on millions of gold by playing the AH. Nothing can bring that back.

I've since closed my account. Like Nebell mentioned, its too repetitive. Too many chores you pretty much have to do.

I tried FFXIV and it hasn't stuck. I still have the code in my email that I haven't activated yet. Perhaps I'll just sell it off. I am trying Guild Wars 2 now with mixed feelings. No idea why, but I've skipped this Path of Exile league. Usually I'm way into that game. Not sure why I've passed.

CRT are fine I have a few arcade machines around with them and some monitors/TVs for retro stuff. That said they are a pain to maintain and quality does vary wildly.

WoW documentary turned into CRT discussion :)

Anyway I started in vanilla like many. I'm still playing, and actually even raiding, but I'm going to quit in a couple of weeks when my sub expires.
The game is too much repetition.
Repetition, repetition, repetition.
Raids, dungeons, daily quests, Torghast, the other activities. I'm not autistic, I have issues with repeating things.
So I'm going to give New World a chance, play that until it starts feeling repetitive/boring, quit then find something new to play. There will always be something.
I still haven't touched the new ESO expansion or finished my season char in BDO. I also want to give the new SW:TOR expansion a go because I find the single player/story rather fun.

Yeah I am in the same boat here with WoW, Ive been playing since 04 and have played nonstop and never cancelled my sub for all that time....and I am thinking about finally doing that. My guild offically died this expansion, my sever is basically dead, and I am burned out on farming old content and transmog. You are correct that the game has become a grindfest of repetition, and everything you do for a patch doesnt matter for the next patch...you then start over with the grind again. The only patch that seems to matter now is the last one of the expansion...by then they seem to have fixed a lot of system issues and the game is mostly out of beta by that point. Then the next expansion starts and it repeats itself again...the game seems designed to waste your time in systems then being fun to keep you playing...

I loved CRT monitors. Still have my 19" Samsung Syncmaster 955DF. The only thing I didn't like was lugging that heavy bitch over to my friends house every weekend. Good workout though :)

I'd love to watch - WoW is part of my story. I even played WoW Classic recently. Thanks a lot for sharing the video

Yeah I am in the same boat here with WoW, Ive been playing since 04 and have played nonstop and never cancelled my sub for all that time....and I am thinking about finally doing that. My guild offically died this expansion, my sever is basically dead, and I am burned out on farming old content and transmog. You are correct that the game has become a grindfest of repetition, and everything you do for a patch doesnt matter for the next patch...you then start over with the grind again. The only patch that seems to matter now is the last one of the expansion...by then they seem to have fixed a lot of system issues and the game is mostly out of beta by that point. Then the next expansion starts and it repeats itself again...the game seems designed to waste your time in systems then being fun to keep you playing...

Yeah, I wouldn't have an issue doing grinds from time to time, but not as weekly thing that has to be done almost daily. Like Torghast. I don't even use more than two chars (priest for pve and warrior for pvp) and find it annoying after floor 2 on the first char (even after they cut floor amount from 6 to 5).
I had fun in Torghast in 9.0 and even cleared Twisting Corridors. But then they changed the name of Soul Ashes and sent us back to farm Torghast with barely any changes to the dungeon itself.
The worst part is, the repetitive grind is all connected. To get new Cinders, you do Torghast, but if you want more (who doesn't), you need to do the new assaults twice a week.
I also miss the zone design from earlier expansions. The current ones just get worse and worse.

your refresh rate was to low.
No, it wasn't. It was the maximum refresh rate for the resolutions I was running, which were the maximum the monitors could do. Looking at this type of monitor caused me severe headaches if I did it for long enough. I can go considerably longer on even a 60Hz LCD without the same discomfort. However, mintors or TV's with bad PWM will cause me headaches rather quickly.

Many CRTs support resolutions with too low of max refresh rates to prevent screen flicker. This is why CRTs were marketed with a optimal resolution that was often far below the max resolution wile sporting a higher refresh. Etch CRT is different but a good rule of thumb is no less then 70hz, 75-85hz if not higher being preferred.

That being sad I'm a little amazed you did not state anything about phosphor glow/ghosting effect you get from a CRT in low light settings. That always drove me nuts with CRTs. Noting funner then crowing in a under ground cavern in fallout NV only for everything on the screen to gosh like the response time is over 100ms.
You aren't telling me anything I don't know. I remember as I was buying these things and using them we they were new. When I was an onsite service tech, I used to sit down and adjust every customer's display to 85Hz or better for whatever resolution they were running. Most were at 60Hz and I have no idea how they tolerated that. I'm well aware that CRT's have a sweet spot and it wasn't necessarily their maximum rated resolution. That said, I was running some of the best CRT's ever made and I wouldn't put up with less than 85Hz at any resolution I used. As for the glowing and ghosting effects in low light conditions, this never really bothered me as much as some people. I ran IPS displays for years after the CRT days. It has to be pretty egregious to be an issue for me.

Back