World of Warcraft Classic

I was playing it. I started playing WoW shortly after AQ went live. My goal in Classic was to participate in the opening of the Gates of AQ. Did it. Have not played since.

I was playing it. I started playing WoW shortly after AQ went live. My goal in Classic was to participate in the opening of the Gates of AQ. Did it. Have not played since.
I started about the same time but didn’t participate in any raiding whatsoever. It was just leveling for me. I stated raiding hard core content in BC and I’m looking forward to it being rereleased. For me, BC was my perfect version of wow. I’ll probably keep a toon there for arena.

I played from Phase 1 (launch) through Phase 4 (ZG/AB), quit for Phase 5 (AQ), and came back for Phase 6 (Naxx) to clear the raid once and then quit again. No way I'm farming all the consumes and world buffs necessary to consistently and easily clear Naxx every week.

I'm waiting for TBC Classic to launch since world buffs will thankfully no longer be a raiding requirement/expectation. Until then, I've been casually playing Shadowlands.

I remember when World of Warcraft was about to be released. Some of the Blizz devs would hop on IRC to chat. Was supper hyped about it.

On released date, never got the game as planned. I still have not played it. Not sure what has been the brick wall but someday I will have to give it a swing.

I played from Phase 1 (launch) through Phase 4 (ZG/AB), quit for Phase 5 (AQ), and came back for Phase 6 (Naxx) to clear the raid once and then quit again. No way I'm farming all the consumes and world buffs necessary to consistently and easily clear Naxx every week.

I'm waiting for TBC Classic to launch since world buffs will thankfully no longer be a raiding requirement/expectation. Until then, I've been casually playing Shadowlands.
Power to you man. I always felt Classic had such awesome and epic dungeons but the raids were so packed with trash it was crazy. I never did Naxx or AQ40 but I heard the prep for Naxx was legendarily painful.

TBC had the better raids, IMHO. Kharazan, to this day, is one of the best small group raids I've ever experienced.

Power to you man. I always felt Classic had such awesome and epic dungeons but the raids were so packed with trash it was crazy. I never did Naxx or AQ40 but I heard the prep for Naxx was legendarily painful.

TBC had the better raids, IMHO. Kharazan, to this day, is one of the best small group raids I've ever experienced.
100%. I played through everything in Vanilla 15 years ago except Naxx. So I just wanted to experience that in Classic before quitting. TBC improved the game in every way, can’t wait to go through it again soon.

WotLK incoming.

1650387452429.png

Last edited:
Interesting decision that they will not include dungeon finder. Other than that, I’m all in. My favorite expansion. Time to re-level a resto Druid for nostalgia!

WoW is dead. Makes me sad because I spent years enjoying the game. They are just trying to bring back old content to keep revenue IMO

WoW is dead.

Got anything to actually back that up? The only place where they are "bringing back old content" is WoW Classic, which is totally seperate from the main game. "Bringing back old content" is literally the entire point of WoW Classic... If you want new content, the main World of Warcraft game still exists, currently in the Shadowlands expansion, with the new Dragonflight expansion just announced today. Why would they still be making new expansions for a "dead" game? In fact, this new expansion looks to have more "new" things in it than any other expansion in a very long time. They are revamping the UI, the talent system, etc.

Got anything to actually back that up? The only place where they are "bringing back old content" is WoW Classic, which is totally seperate from the main game. "Bringing back old content" is literally the entire point of WoW Classic... If you want new content, the main World of Warcraft game still exists, currently in the Shadowlands expansion, with the new Dragonflight expansion just announced today. Why would they still be making new expansions for a "dead" game? In fact, this new expansion looks to have more "new" things in it than any other expansion in a very long time. They are revamping the UI, the talent system, etc.
They have revamped the talent system 14 times now. Clearly they can't fix it, so leave it.

One of the reasons I liked the release of classic. The classic 51 point talent trees. Kinda the point of classic, really. To bring back items people wish hadn't left.

I am basing my assumption that WoW is dead because everyone I have ever played with that was hardcore stopped playing halfway through BFA because it was terrible. When Classic was released it brought back a lot of the gamers who quit during BFA. When Naxx was released, Classic lossed quite a few players after the first couple of weeks and never saw them return to either Classic or BFA. Also the top WoW streamers like Asmongold that would religiously play only go back when there is a major patch release.

Please... retail WoW is a dumpster fire. The lore is a total joke; its actually worse its insulting to the players who are still slogging through. You know it, I know it and I think even though they won't say it, the WoW devs know it. Player numbers have been on a steady downturn. Streamers and content creators have been dunking on WoW retail the entire last two expansions.

That said, I'm also in for WoTLK Classic. IMHO, it was the last good expansion; peak WoW. Leveling in Cata was OK but the raids were mostly garbage. Cata/MoP is when they really started phoning in the lore.

Anxious to see what Blizzard does for Classic after WoTLK. They better be cooking up something good because the classic gravy train is going to dry up.

I think the game has just gotten too complicated. So many reagents, professions that new and old players coming in have no clue what they do, players being able to live for minutes on end while they are getting nuked. If they could somehow bring back the classic, BC, WoTLK play style i think the actual gameplay would be a lot better.

Also the environment just seems so cluttered and dark. I get they are going for detail but i think its a bit much. Thats just my .02

#boomermillenial

Interesting decision that they will not include dungeon finder. Other than that, I’m all in. My favorite expansion. Time to re-level a resto Druid for nostalgia!
That's too bad I actually loved the LFD. I think they went too crazy with it in newer expansions, though. Using it for 5-mans was great as a tank and healer.

I think the game has just gotten too complicated. So many reagents, professions that new and old players coming in have no clue what they do, players being able to live for minutes on end while they are getting nuked. If they could somehow bring back the classic, BC, WoTLK play style i think the actual gameplay would be a lot better.

Also the environment just seems so cluttered and dark. I get they are going for detail but i think its a bit much. Thats just my .02

#boomermillenial

Complaining about them somehow bringing back classic game in the thread for the game where they have done exactly that.... To the literal letter of your complaint "if they could somehow...".

They did it. Its been done for several years. Its called WoW classic. its the title of the thread you posted in.

Complaining about them somehow bringing back classic game in the thread for the game where they have done exactly that.... To the literal letter of your complaint "if they could somehow...".

They did it. Its been done for several years. Its called WoW classic. its the title of the thread you posted in.
You missed the point of my response. If they could take classic wow, BC, WoTLK and take all of the good stuff from each of those and put them together it would make a better game than what is currently out. I dont mean reverting it back to classic WoW.

Classic+ will always just be a dream I guess
Good news you aint dreaming buddy.

https://www.wowhead.com/classic/news/classic-plus-is-official-wow-classic-season-of-discovery-335835

In Season of Discovery, players will discover new secrets by scouring Azeroth to find class-altering abilities. Tanking Warlocks, Mage healers, and more will be possible. The Season will launch with an initial level cap of 25, and upon reaching max level, players will be met with a new level-25 endgame! Discover a 10-player Blackfathom Deeps raid with new and reimagined bosses, mechanics, and rewards. Not long after, the level cap will be increased by a few levels, bringing even more endgame content.

Maybe I'm weird but I'd be happy to do the classic cycle again. I still haven't done everything I wanted to do, nor have I had time to follow the expansion progression. Classic Plus sounds like a cool idea too, but I do appreciate the simplicity of classic.

I don't need to go through life experiencing a million varieties of something that was essential. I am perfectly happy just experiencing and appreciating that essential thing time and give again.

Good news you aint dreaming buddy.

https://www.wowhead.com/classic/news/classic-plus-is-official-wow-classic-season-of-discovery-335835

In Season of Discovery, players will discover new secrets by scouring Azeroth to find class-altering abilities. Tanking Warlocks, Mage healers, and more will be possible. The Season will launch with an initial level cap of 25, and upon reaching max level, players will be met with a new level-25 endgame! Discover a 10-player Blackfathom Deeps raid with new and reimagined bosses, mechanics, and rewards. Not long after, the level cap will be increased by a few levels, bringing even more endgame content.
This sounds so interesting and fresh! Definitely curious to try it and hope they also consider some pvp!

Legitimately sounds like the most interesting thing to happen to wow in years and I'm very tempted to give it a whirl

I played a lot of WOW back in the day... I played a ton of different MMOs. I dont know exactly what happened, but one day something in my brain clicked that the never ending cycle of getting more items to get more items had me stop MMOs cold turkey.

World of Warcraft was great and the announcement of Classic almost had me jump back in. Im sure my characters are long gone or else I would jump back in for an hour or two for the nostalgia.

Reactions: t1k
like this
I played a lot of WOW back in the day... I played a ton of different MMOs. I dont know exactly what happened, but one day something in my brain clicked that the never ending cycle of getting more items to get more items had me stop MMOs cold turkey.

World of Warcraft was great and the announcement of Classic almost had me jump back in. Im sure my characters are long gone or else I would jump back in for an hour or two for the nostalgia.
Hence why I like faction based territory control games, or at least ones that have it on top of their pve, as well as horizontal progression with low vertical. Gear grinding for the sole purpose of grinding even better gear ad nauseum would make me quit too! Games like Dark Age of Camelot, Warhammer Online, and ESO (back towards launch, not nowadays) were great for that.

I also loved the secret world, which was heavily story based and had very challenging dungeons (nightmares) to play through. It had fusang which was a mini faction control area to fight in and was fun enough.

Hence why I like faction based territory control games, or at least ones that have it on top of their pve, as well as horizontal progression with low vertical. Gear grinding for the sole purpose of grinding even better gear ad nauseum would make me quit too! Games like Dark Age of Camelot, Warhammer Online, and ESO (back towards launch, not nowadays) were great for that.

I also loved the secret world, which was heavily story based and had very challenging dungeons (nightmares) to play through. It had fusang which was a mini faction control area to fight in and was fun enough.
My favorite MMO was probably Shadowbane. The PVP was awesome and I had built a little merchant city.

My favorite MMO was probably Shadowbane. The PVP was awesome and I had built a little merchant city.
Nice! I missed out on that one myself. :( Played EverQuest then went to daoc thinking it was shadowbane :ROFLMAO:.

Playing Path of Exile a lot did something similar to me :D. I will probably still check out POE 2, but I find it difficult to commit to the grind of arpg's and similar games now. It feels like an exercise in futility in some ways. My takeaway is that I've just experienced all I wanted to and reached my personal threshold, and it's okay to have the desire to stop and/or not play as much.

Fortunately there are still other great, more accessible genres and games out there to play that aren't such a hardcore grind and that feel like less of a chore. I've enjoyed Nintendo's exclusives a lot lately since they are easy to jump into and out of and generally have pretty tight gameplay and nice atmosphere. Having no extreme grind, layered systems, and complexity to grapple with is refreshing to me. I don't say any of this to detract from the greatness of POE/WoW though, because they are really amazing games for what they are.

I don't say any of this to detract from the greatness of POE/WoW though, because they are really amazing games for what they are.
These are the only games I play now. I hit my end league in Path of Exile, bounced between six games, nothing stuck, so I fired up my retail account. Leveling something like my tenth druid healer. I can throw a movie on and carry on. Just what I need after a long day.

Reactions: t1k
like this
These are the only games I play now. I hit my end league in Path of Exile, bounced between six games, nothing stuck, so I fired up my retail account. Leveling something like my tenth druid healer. I can throw a movie on and carry on. Just what I need after a long day.
I let go of Path of Exile after defeating A10 Kitava in HCSSF Ruthless mode (or maybe it let go of me? ;) ). I jump in and mess around once in a while, but that is not a very interesting game played casually. I will probably give PoE 2 a solid go of it though when it releases.

I may play WoW again at some point since it's a pretty relaxing game, and I like its atmosphere and overall vibe. Something timeless about WoW.

Anyone still playing this? The new 'Season of Discovery' event is pretty sweet. Between all of the people playing, the new features, and Barrens Chat it's feeling like when I first played during 1.0.

I've been playing, level 17 warlock. Barren's chat is indeed just as dumb as it's always been.

I have been playing Classic SoD. I find it fun, but have concerns about longevity of it, as it would be all too Blizzard-like to abandon it eventually. I had forgotten how much simpler WoW was back in the day, and how much I had missed that. No carpal tunnel inducing rotations all while trying to dance around circles in the ground. Currently leveling a warlock, rogue, warrior and hunter. I do miss some of the QOL stuff from Live, but the tradeoffs are worth it currently. I guess I will reevaluate when I hit max level. That is when Live went from fun to a PITA, trying to get into Mythic+ groups and hit dps numbers.

I've been leveling a Hunter, Priest, and Druid. I had forgotten how much 'harder' old WoW was in regards to post-TBC WoW. Even getting money takes forever if you're not dual-gathering and auctioning everything. I would like to have more Windrider's and access to faster traversal options; the back and forth slow running is brutal early game.

It's been a lot of fun so far even with the grindiness of it. It blows my mind how many people are playing and they've all been eager to group up to get quests done.

Definitely been having fun with it so far, but
only still doing the journey and I've always enjoyed leveling in these classic zones.

Has anyone made it to Ashenvale yet?

I lasted about two weeks before I got tired of all of the walking and grinding. The new stuff is cool but there's not enough of it to get me over the hump to where it feels fun to do instead of like I'm working for nothing.

I lasted about two weeks before I got tired of all of the walking and grinding. The new stuff is cool but there's not enough of it to get me over the hump to where it feels fun to do instead of like I'm working for nothing.
What level did you get to and do you have friends that also play?

I've still been enjoying it but I don't play all that much. Just hit 23 last night. All of my friends are already on their second characters (or 3rd), so apparently there's not a whole lot to do at 25

Back