World of Warcraft Classic

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by AltTabbins, Aug 27, 2019.

1. mlcarson

mlcarson Limp Gawd

With respect to multiboxing, I don't blame this guy at all. The WOW community has way too many idiots in it for random grouping. You get the enchanter or just some greedy bastard who rolls need on everything including the BOP item that that you needed. You get the tank or healer who says "Oh, I just needed that one boss -- bye". Or the "I didn't know this was going to take so long and have to leave". The hunter that brings no ammo. The warriors that refuse to wait for the mana users to drink before a major pull. DPS classes refusing to do any CC and letting the healer die. Tanks breaking the CC before dealing with primary mobs. Healers spec'd for DPS for leveling but trying to heal a dungeon run. Tanks spec'd for DPS but trying to tank a dungeon run. The entire community is obviously not bad but there's a high enough percentage to just make it toxic in general. Even if you have 4 friends that want to play with you, it's hard to get everybody to level at the same rate and play at the same time. Guilds can help but they have their own problems and generally are geared towards later content and not the leveling process. The nostalgia is not worth the time sync for me any more when you take off the rose colored glasses and see what the WOW community has become.

2. exlink

exlink [H]ardness Supreme

Man... some of you guys have really unrealistically pessimistic views of other players in this game. You may run into a bad apple once every so often but never to the point that I’d think about removing the “multiplayer” aspect of a massive multiplayer online role playing game.

I’ve ran multiple dungeons multiple times in classic (WC, SFK, SM, ZF, Mara) and not a single group failed and not a single group had a single bad or inconsiderate player. In fact, every group has been accommodating to ensure everyone completes their quests and farms loot if you need it.

This has also pretty much been my experience in the 15 years I’ve played WoW. Maybe 5% of all my dungeon groups either failed or had a dumbass in the group.

Armenius, horrorshow and auntjemima like this.
  3. mlcarson

mlcarson Limp Gawd

What class/role did you play? I suspect as the healer or the tank that your experience would be better than average. I'd say the percentage was more like 20% unless the group had some guild composition -- maybe higher. Combine the bad group behaviors and the lame global chat dominated by teens and guild membership almost became mandatory so you could filter out the bad. I started WOW Classic in my 30's though so maybe I had a lower tolerance for the "kiddies". The anonymity in the game and the fact that there's very few consequences for your actions really bring out the worst in a certain segment of the population and that segment just kept getting larger as time went by.

4. exlink

I tanked and DPS'd in Vanilla 15 years ago, have been pretty much every single class over the 15 years through retail and in Classic I'm playing a Warlock. The only "lame" global chat I've encountered is Barrens chat which is notorious for being the meme chat channel in WoW since the beginning. But other than that nothing lame in the other channels. I guess if you have an absolute zero tolerance for bullshit you should avoid multiplayer games altogether. But if you can deal with the occasional idiot I don't understand why you'd not play the game or multibox just to avoid everyone else. I PUG nearly all my dungeon groups and still stick with the 5% estimate.

horrorshow and Denpepe like this.
  5. mlcarson

mlcarson Limp Gawd

Apparently the reason you don't understand is because you've had only 1/4 of the bad interactions. I'd suggest that if your main was a healer or tank that most groups will kiss your ass since it used to be very difficult to get those roles in dungeons. You could kick a dps from a group and get another person almost immediately -- granted there was travel time involved without a warlock but that time was nothing compared to the amount of time to get a new healer/tank. I've played mage/lock/druid at raid content in classic. I obviously preferred DPS but also played healer on the druid and even tank on normal dungeon runs. There was definitely a difference in group depending on role. With respect to global chat, it's almost universally bad. I remember so many 1:1 conversations going on over global chat and always wondered, why don't you just whisper the person directly? I'd love to see a large MMO with an age restriction on realms (not for XXX talk) but in hopes of reducing the amount of chatter or at least elevating it to a bit higher standard. I ultimately shut it off unless I needed it for something specific and mostly replaced it with just guild chat. I think the most fun part of the game was the lvl 60 dungeons -- not the raid content. My personal favorite was Dire Maul.

6. Nytegard

Nytegard 2[H]4U

I play a priest, and on my server, there are more priests than any other class, yes, that includes mages too. It's the followed by paladins and druids. So there are a glut of healers.

But the amount of blaming going on is unreal. As you mentioned above, there's so tanks who decide to pull 3 mobs while the healers and mages/warlocks are completely drained of mana, and then they start blaming everyone else but themselves as to why the group wiped. And this isn't a rare occurrence. Nor people rolling on gear that the can't use. Just a couple days ago, I had a paladin in my group who decided to roll need on everything. His reason? He was an enchanter and needed the shards they produced. Well gee Mr. Paladin, I'm a priest, and I can use that cloth gear. I think that comes before your enchanting. And that too isn't a slight occurrence. I've gone to LBRS now about 21 times, and I have yet to even get a gem. The leader will claim only roll greed if you need it, then someone holds off until the very last second to see everyone else claim greed, they'll then roll need. The next gem that comes up, it then becomes a need fest.

7. mlcarson

mlcarson Limp Gawd

That's the kind of crap that I remember. Everybody must have also remembered that priests used to be in high demand which is why you have so many. Never understood why the tanks were always in such a hurry. The instances go so much smoother when your mana users are actually able to function. As a mage, I've always wanted to just do a few pulls with wand only when the tanks did that shit but it wouldn't be fair to the healer and I'd just be kicked from the group since DPS was disposable.

auntjemima likes this.
  8. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

I play a Priest, when a Tank decides he wants to be billy bad ass while I have no mana, I just let him die. And if group members get greedy like above, I just leave the group.

I am however fun at parties.

Armenius and Denpepe like this.
  9. exlink

Had my first bad group experience yesterday in Classic after about 30-40 groups. Still don’t see anywhere near as many bad of groups that some people in this thread claim there to be. But to each their own, I am thoroughly enjoying my non-neutered experience through Classic.

Anyway to move on from the topic of whining and shitting on the game; I hit 51 tonight on my warlock. Going to level a rogue as an alt since these final levels are getting a bit long in the tooth without rested XP. Saw that Azeroth Auto Pilot released their add-on for Classic so I can level much more efficiently.

Armenius likes this.
  10. Denpepe

Denpepe [H]ard|Gawd

Things can vary a lot, I usually play late in the evening/night when most of the drama queens are already gone to bed. But that also means there are less people around if I need help.

11. SineDave

SineDave Limp Gawd

I've been enjoying classic a lot. We formed a guild composed of people who PUGed MC together for a few weeks, and last week we one shot the entire instance, and single phased Rag.

Armenius likes this.