World of Warcraft Classic

This is huge indeed!

I quit WoW at the very end of Cata when they released the Panda patch in 2012. My Sub ended there. Game had changed too much from what i had enjoyed originally, and well... then there was Deathwing... LuLz.
From prolly about 2013-2015 i had reminissed about the goold ole days of WoW, Vanilla through Wrath (Ignoring the joke that was the re-release of naxx.... but hey... if you had a spare 45 minutes and were bored it was fun to run!)
I learned about Nostalrius in early 2015 and my private server life began.
Started on Nost PVP... Hated it... then they released Nost PVE... Rerolled and loved it.
Played there until it was taken down per blizz request.
Moved to a small private BC server known as VengeanceWOW which is overall good, then Elysium was released.... Moved my toons there and played for a while... Elysium fell to corruption and greed, was reborn as Lights Hope.
All of the unrest (and sometimes small population on lesser known servers like Vengeance) just made the experiance sometimes depressing.

This is a game changer... This means that it is back..... and it is back for good(?)!!!!

You can level your toons up get them to 60, gear them enjoy them and not have to worry about losing their relevence to the next coming xpac (Although i do hope they eventually release BC and Wrath servers).

This is such a move in the right direction for blizzard, and something i think they should have done long before now!

Apparently i will be resubscribing to my WoW account for the first time in 5 years.

I wish this had come a few years earlier.

I don't think I have the interest anymore.
That is how i felt about gaming in general, but i have recently played some pretty good games that have revived my want..... no, no, NEED for gaming. lolz

OMFG! They finally listened!
search

Last edited:
that's why they killed off the vanilla wow servers.

greed!

oh well at least people can play classic version.

Until I know how much "modernity" will remain, I'm skeptical. For instance the Addon API. Will it be like it used to be? Or will it be current. Back then for instance, encounters in BWL, AQ40, and Naxx were near predicated on the Decursive mod being a button you could literally hammer to auto-target-and-cleanse everyone in your 40 man raid. When Blizz devs found they were developing raid bosses who cursed inhumanly fast because of this mod, they changed the addon API instead and rolled the bosses back, so it wouldn't be a true "requirement" and anyone without it at a major disadvantage. Will they go back to resists? What about grouping tools - cross realm or otherwise and more...

I played during "Classic" WoW and it was a fantastic experience, but I can't say that I'm aching to go back there. There was a lot of tedium - farming resist gear, manually grouping/raiding and buffing that took minutes at a time, 40 person raids where the difficulty came from the organization more than anything , lack of grouping tools etc.. That was of course "as things were done" and less tedious than say... EverQuest (which was my first "true" MMO), but I think many look back with rose-colored glasses on the past. It wasn't that the game was "harder" back then, but it did put more blockers or tedium to draw out content. Raid bosses in the last few expansions for instance are much, much more player-skill and mechanics required - (ie Grand Magistrix Elisandre in the Nighthold!) than anything from Classic; back then, it was gear, numbners, occasionally resists etc... but the fights themselves were often tank-and-spank with one or two special features, or required a particular arrangement (ie Garr or Geddon needing warlock banishment or ideally , hunter pets etc). This is not to say that I didn't enjoy some elements back then - I rather liked Hunters having quivers and ammo, along with Rogues having their own poison making abilities, but frankly that was "fluff" a lot of the time..and in the case of Hunters, came at a cost of lacking a bag slot compared to others!

I may pop onto a Classic WoW server for old time's sake, but I'm frankly more interested in them doing something NEW than something old. I'd love to see another expansion designed to "remake the world" at a grander scale than Cata, where there would be high level and low level content in the same zones (a favored element from EverQuest that I've not seen duplicated), so instead of having a progression through areas which become ghost towns afterwards, there would be reasons for max level characters to go back to that "newbie garden" under certain circumstances because at night, the portal in the bottom left corner opens and max-level content is present etc. Likewise, I'd love to see the continued enhancement of "account wide" features to reduce tedium - especially if they're going to encourage people to make and level alts, there should be mechanics in place to ensure that not everyone has to say... grind up the Nightfallen faction again if they want rewards yet have done it once etc. I applaud some of the changes they've made so far, but for instance I want to see Legion reputations get at very least the "account wide mega-boost" upon reaching revered that happened in Pandaria...but really even that could be done better with an "Trusted Friend" system so that doing it again would not be necessary to unlock rewards etc. Alternately, there are things that Blizz has said would be coming to WoW nearly since the days of Classic, such as partner dances and especially - Housing. Final Fantasy XIV has been making a nice hybrid housing system that lots of people enjoy, so its crazy to me to think that WoW doesn't have one at least that good, if not better.

I suppose we'll see... and if it excites you then by all means, go for it. However, I think they can spend their time and money developing the new, instead of propping up the old for nostalgia's sake.

I got in to WoW late in BC, enjoyed LK and even Cata. Kinda fell out of it during the beginning of MoP. Tried to play both WoD and Legion and just couldn't get back in to it.
I'm definitely looking forward to the release of Classic just to see what it was like in the beginning. I actually hope it's way more difficult and requires interaction with other players. The "community" aspect feels like it's completely gone with the LFR, with no reason to join guilds or raid with others it lost that part of it.
Should be interesting at the very least!

With regards to the grouping tools etc, it would be nice if they kept all the logical improvements to WoW up till now and used them in this "WoW Classic," like group/raid finding tools, the various graphics upgrades made throughout the years, etc. Nobody waxes nostalgic about crappier interfaces and graphics, it's the core gameplay we miss.

is this gonna have new graphics or will it look like current wow? I started playing wow when BC came out, then stopped around cata. that was a long time ago. I remember raiding 2-3 times a week and that was it, there was nothing else to do, so I lost interest. the raids were locked or something so you couldn't do them more than once a week.

With regards to the grouping tools etc, it would be nice if they kept all the logical improvements to WoW up till now and used them in this "WoW Classic," like group/raid finding tools, the various graphics upgrades made throughout the years, etc. Nobody waxes nostalgic about crappier interfaces and graphics, it's the core gameplay we miss.

I certainly am not one to comment on Vanilla WoW as I didnt play in the beginning, but I did start long before the LFR tools. I miss joining a guild where you earned a spot on the raid by learning the fights and doing well in you class/spec. There seems to be less of that now, with everyone just running full speed into the fight, standing in one spot, and spamming whatever attack they want. It could just be my perception of it as well, not saying the current way is bad, just that I look forward to trying the original way.

I want weapon leveling.
I want hunters needing ammo.
I want the slower leveling.
I want the class specific quest lines (Druid forms, Paladin mount, etc).
I do not want LFG/LFR (it destroyed any sense of community and made instances face-rolls).
I do not want flying mounts.
I do not want multi-specs.
I will not miss the quest hubs.

Hopefully Blizzard is able to stay true to Vanilla, with necessary modernizations (graphics, stability, etc).

I want weapon leveling.
I do not want LFG/LFR (it destroyed any sense of community and made instances face-rolls).

Hopefully Blizzard is able to stay true to Vanilla, with necessary modernizations (graphics, stability, etc).
This sounds like the game Im hoping it will be.

I dunno. EQ2 tried to do the "classic" game with their modern architecture and it ruined the experience. Hopefully Blizz does a better job, they certainly have the resources and seem willing to try. I do think that they are right per their original statement that the game will consist of many tourists and likely a smaller group of die-harders, but that's totally acceptable. Makes it easier to actually be apart of a guild and raid when it's not insane numbers. I'm tired of playing half assed emu servers that get some things things right and many critical things totally wrong (oh and they're always flooded with cheaters in one way or another). Definitely on my radar but I truly wonder how long it will take them to accomplish. Not trying to wait years to play it, already did emu servers for a solid year plus, even vanilla gets stale. Progression would be fun though. None of the emu server's have had a legitimate progression.

I dont think I can relive the magic that was the original WoW. I havent been interested in the game in years. I think I have grown beyond it to tell you the truth. However I am glad they made it for those who want to play it again. Personally I am leary of just how original it is though. When they shut down that private server and some people asked for the old WoW Blizz said it couldn't be done and if they did do it players wouldn't like it. I'm wondering if they made it to fail? Hopefully not.

Will definitely give this a go. I grew up on the original EverQuest when it launched and that was a pretty unforgiving MMO. (all your gear staying behind on the ground when you died and ported back to town was just so cruel!).

But then again, my best loved times in WoW were around the Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King when things were more "casual".

Guess we'll see if I can reset mentally to getting my nuts kicked in every time I log in to play. =P

He'll ya bring back multi day av's with lok, wolf riders, and infantry. So much fun with 40 man premade av's!

I want weapon leveling.

So far they have commented there will be no server shards, cross play or lfg/lfr functionality. Sounds like this is going to be a true call back to classic wow and not just new wow reskinned

this is like revisiting your high school girlfriend 20 years later only to immediately discover that it was best to keep the mental images intact.

this is like revisiting your high school girlfriend 20 years later only to immediately discover that it was best to keep the mental images intact.

Except your high school girlfriend is flippin hot & doesn't have any kids!

memberries

Are they going to simulate the servers not being up for the first month or two also? Although I'm thinking a Hogger group might be in order...

memberries

Are they going to simulate the servers not being up for the first month or two also? Although I'm thinking a Hogger group might be in order...

I think they joked about that when they announced it. Would be funny though if they took the servers down randomly for a couple of hours on launch day. Hogger must be stopped!

i hope they do add some modern features like LFG and the quicker leveling, lower level mounts, quick change specs or get rid of the 50g to respec are a few that would suck to go back too, also curious what patch level they will use as the last patch before BC made alot of classes very OP at 60, but normalized pretty quick once into BC

they might have to make 40 mans raids variable to be successful as well, then 10-20 sliding scale makes it much easier, even the 20 man mythic stuff now is a pain in the ass to get exactly 20 and the right classes

i hope they do add some modern features like LFG (NO!) and the quicker leveling (NO!), lower level mounts (NO!), quick change specs (NO!) or get rid of the 50g to respec (NO!) are a few that would suck to go back too, also curious what patch level they will use as the last patch before BC made alot of classes very OP at 60, but normalized pretty quick once into BC

they might have to make 40 mans raids variable to be successful as well, then 10-20 sliding scale makes it much easier, even the 20 man mythic stuff now is a pain in the ass to get exactly 20 and the right classes

Sounds to me you aren't interested in Vanilla WoW.

I'm in the same boat. Those sound like the exact things I dislike about the current state of WoW.
You summed up my feelings exactly with this:
"I want weapon leveling.
I will not miss the quest hubs."

memberries

Nobody here can answer that question for you. You'd need to post questions like that on Activision's own forum to receive a non-speculative answer.

I want to see them re-release WoW Classic, then annually re-release Burning Crusade and WOTLK. After a year of WOTLK, it resets. 3 year classic-WOTLK "ladder" style season, relive the best portions of the game before it got terrible, and love on the nostalgia. Each year when the first set of servers goes from Classic to BC, Another set of servers launches classic and does its own 3 year ladder.

I am but if its going to work and survive and have a healthy populations those things will have to be part of it, todays players who didnt play classic wont make it past level 30 and theyll go back to the current servers and youll have low pop and never fill a 40 man raid.

Back