World of Warcraft Classic Will Be Built on Patch 1.12 “Drums of War”

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In an update elaborating on the development of the classic MMORPG, Blizzard revealed they would use Patch 1.12 “Drums of War” as the foundation for World of Warcraft Classic because “it represents the most complete version of the classic experience.” This patch was released in August 2006 and introduced cross-realm Battlegrounds and World PvP.

Once we had our starting point, we began taking stock of what we had in the source code and what we could make available, which included restoring the original development database from archival backups. After stitching various key pieces together, we had a locally rebuilt version of Patch 1.12 running internally. The team could create characters and do basic questing and leveling—and dying, which we did many times. For testing purposes. Obviously.

Too bad I cancelled my wow account because ignore wasn't good enough and they had to change it to mob rule account silencing. Now I know why people in the game seem reluctant to talk.

Too bad I cancelled my wow account because ignore wasn't good enough and they had to change it to mob rule account silencing. Now I know why people in the game seem reluctant to talk.

Que?

In an update elaborating on the development of the classic MMORPG, Blizzard revealed they would use Patch 1.12 “Drums of War” as the foundation for World of Warcraft Classic because “it represents the most complete version of the classic experience.” This patch was released in August 2006 and introduced cross-realm Battlegrounds and World PvP.

Once we had our starting point, we began taking stock of what we had in the source code and what we could make available, which included restoring the original development database from archival backups. After stitching various key pieces together, we had a locally rebuilt version of Patch 1.12 running internally. The team could create characters and do basic questing and leveling—and dying, which we did many times. For testing purposes. Obviously.

Any idea when this is supposed to be released?

Looking forward to Barrens chat again.

Mom! Bring the bucket, quick!

watch

And this is what I've told people what Blizzard would do. On private servers they replicate the experience from the first patches to the later ones. Patch 1.12 is basically everything all at once, which means no AQ40 event, which BTW is epic, no Naxxramas event, which is also epic. You don't get to see how the class specs evolved. Basically everyone is going to race for Naxx and gear up like mad, which means hardly anyone will ever touch Molten Core or Black Wing Layer.

I don't see the private servers going away anytime soon.

And this is what I've told people what Blizzard would do. On private servers they replicate the experience from the first patches to the later ones. Patch 1.12 is basically everything all at once, which means no AQ40 event, which BTW is epic, no Naxxramas event, which is also epic. You don't get to see how the class specs evolved. Basically everyone is going to race for Naxx and gear up like mad, which means hardly anyone will ever touch Molten Core or Black Wing Layer.

I don't see the private servers going away anytime soon.

It's way to early to tell, they might be focusing on 1.12 for game features, artwork, and spell mechanics, but I don't see why they can't release dungeon content launch in stages starting from the beginning. I am curious how they would time the staging for rolling out content and updating mechanics if they end up also adding expansions as real time passes. And they could launch a new classic server to replace the outgoing expansion one.

Woot! I might actually be able to do Naxx as it was originally intended. I couldn't back when it was on Live because my guild broke up.

It's way to early to tell, they might be focusing on 1.12 for game features, artwork, and spell mechanics, but I don't see why they can't release dungeon content launch in stages starting from the beginning. I am curious how they would time the staging for rolling out content and updating mechanics if they end up also adding expansions as real time passes. And they could launch a new classic server to replace the outgoing expansion one.

This is whats going to happen otherwise people would burn through th3 content within months. Im still really skeptical about blizzards undertaking of this and what they said in thier post

People are still going to burn through the content in no time because the playerbase is far more knowledgeable, skilled and well connected to really emulate the feeling of playing Vanilla.

It would be completely awesome if Blizz could muster the resources to replicate the entire experience from beta.

It would be completely awesome if Blizz could muster the resources to replicate the entire experience from beta.
Even more awesome if people could muster the strength to remove the rose-tinted glasses and recognize how unwieldy and flawed Vanilla's systems were initially

Hopefully goblin hand grenades work the same and paladins get three 1 minute cooldown stuns again ;D

On private servers they're all using 1.12, but they replicate the patches through scripts. Blizzard doesn't care for Vanilla WoW, so this whole thing is just a way to appease those who jumped on private servers. But mostly, to get people to play WoW, current WoW.

I really doubt that Blizzard will do what private servers do, because the content of Vanilla WoW if done properly can last years, while releasing 1.12 with all available content it'll last 6-8 months at best. The frost resist gear you can make for Naxx had good enough stats that you could blaze through AQ40 and ignore MC, BWL, ZG, and AQ20. Blizzard doesn't want Vanilla WoW to be a game people only play, they want it for went the next expansion has a lull, just to keep you around until the next expansion.

Even more awesome if people could muster the strength to remove the rose-tinted glasses and recognize how unwieldy and flawed Vanilla's systems were initially

Flawed or not, it was still way better than any version of the game from the past 8 years.

Flawed or not, it was still way better than any version of the game from the past 8 years.
That's because it was new and it was fresh and it felt like you were discovering things as you went along. Smaller playerbase tied to realms, stronger communities. The game is far more fleshed out and more interesting now, as much as I enjoy reminiscing about the vanilla days I have absolutely no desire to sit and farm mats to craft consumables for a raid a week in advance then have to wait for 39 people to get online. The raids were easy, the mechanics were basically non-existent and the challenge lay mainly in getting to the point you could actually raid. I don't have time for that, but I do have time for the current wow model. I want to be optimistic about classic, but I've played on private servers for years... I know how it goes...

That's because it was new and it was fresh and it felt like you were discovering things as you went along. Smaller playerbase tied to realms, stronger communities. The game is far more fleshed out and more interesting now, as much as I enjoy reminiscing about the vanilla days I have absolutely no desire to sit and farm mats to craft consumables for a raid a week in advance then have to wait for 39 people to get online. The raids were easy, the mechanics were basically non-existent and the challenge lay mainly in getting to the point you could actually raid. I don't have time for that, but I do have time for the current wow model. I want to be optimistic about classic, but I've played on private servers for years... I know how it goes...

I think it comes down to that whole it being impossible to satisfy nostalgia. I started right at the end of vanilla, for me lich king was my favorite expansion. I still enjoy the game but worry if I try out classic it just wont feel right. I would actually prefer they just add new content that aligns itself to what people used to enjoy. I dont miss 40mans though but i know some do.

The times have changed, I can recall my play time back then fondly but I don't have the time or the desire to try coordinating 39 people any more to spend 6+ hours a day grinding mats and rep I'm just too old for it and even if I had time for it it just wouldn't be the same with the people I was playing with at that point that made it fun. They have moved on and I am sure that most of them are in the same boat, I am not sure who this is meant to satisfy but I doubt it will do. The original WoW days just can't be replicated, it was an event you had to be there for.

Nothing is interesting to me about everyone getting to max level in a few hours with legendaries and purples raining from the sky. BFA will be new just like Vanilla once was and I have no interest in playing it.

I don't get this. WoW was utterly terrible before wotlk. Why the hell would anyone want to play that again?

Back