World of Tanks MMO

I was thinking more along the lines of some solid folks for when they do those platoon events, not so much the crazy obsessive clan wars business.

That's tough though. I used to be in a smaller clan (about 40 players) made up of quality players. We used to platoon and company all the time. Company playing is a great way to farm creds. We used to kick ass in medium companies. We'd regularly go 20 or so wins to 1 loss. However, once you get into the platoon size events, a group like that will do well until they face an organized CW platoon. Those groups have a ton of practice playing together. We'd go undefeated in those events against regular clans, but when we'd go up against a top clan, they clean our clocks. It wouldn't even be close.

I eventually ended up in a two "top CW clans". Both were filled with arrogant asshats. Now I just play by myself and chat with friends on TS.

BTW, finding one or two friends to play with is great if you play the exact same amount, and are in the same place in your grind. Otherwise, you'll spend a lot of time playing by yourself doing double before you can play effectively together.

That's tough though. I used to be in a smaller clan (about 40 players) made up of quality players. We used to platoon and company all the time. Company playing is a great way to farm creds. We used to kick ass in medium companies. We'd regularly go 20 or so wins to 1 loss. However, once you get into the platoon size events, a group like that will do well until they face an organized CW platoon. Those groups have a ton of practice playing together. We'd go undefeated in those events against regular clans, but when we'd go up against a top clan, they clean our clocks. It wouldn't even be close.

I eventually ended up in a two "top CW clans". Both were filled with arrogant asshats. Now I just play by myself and chat with friends on TS.

BTW, finding one or two friends to play with is great if you play the exact same amount, and are in the same place in your grind. Otherwise, you'll spend a lot of time playing by yourself doing double before you can play effectively together.
I already have a few friends, just not enough to pile together when they're doing one of those gold platoon events.

I maintain tier 3-7 tanks pretty much all the time. T49 and Hellcat I'll probably own forever.

I am just starting out, what is decent noob path.

So far I have done the best with Vickers Medium Mk1.

The real question is what kind of a tank do you want to play? Fitting a tank to your play style is one of the keys to enjoying the game.

In an extreme over simplification of the game, Speed, Fire Power and Armor are the primary attributes of any tank, you can generally pick only 2.

Scouts, Mediums, Heavies, Tank Destroyers, and Arty each have their own play style. In side each of those types are even more play styles. Find out what kind of play style you enjoy and then find a tank line to suit it.

I was watching some of the video's of the SPG's I think I am going to try one of those out tonight.

It doesn't take too long to advance in the first few tiers, so I'd suggest playing a few different types and seeing what you like best. Then you can decide if you like a faster-moving flanker (medium), a slower tank that can take some hits (heavy), or a hard-hitting but more vulnerable tank destroyer.

I was watching some of the video's of the SPG's I think I am going to try one of those out tonight.

SPGs run a wide gamit and are very different at high tiers than low tiers. Play around with some and see if you enjoy them. Remember that the real grind on tanks starts around tier 7-8, so don't be afraid to try out a lot of different tanks to see what you like.

I am just starting out, what is decent noob path.

So far I have done the best with Vickers Medium Mk1.

I agree with Vengence, the early tiers are easy to fly through so just try a bundle and see what you like. I ended up being masterful at high mobility tank destroyers, M8A1, T49, Hellcat line, and totally abysmal at low speed tank destroyers. :D

great game to play with a group of freinds in a clan!. also easy to get "hooked" on.

I agree with Vengence, the early tiers are easy to fly through so just try a bundle and see what you like. I ended up being masterful at high mobility tank destroyers, M8A1, T49, Hellcat line, and totally abysmal at low speed tank destroyers. :D

Play the AT 2. It is a GOD, even above it's tier. It'll probably get nerfed going forward. It's slow as hell, but simply unpenetrable from the front by most tanks if you don't know the weak spots. Even knowing the weak spots, it's still damn hard to pen w/ gold. 30+ bounces a game are quite common.

Play the AT 2. It is a GOD, even above it's tier. It'll probably get nerfed going forward. It's slow as hell, but simply unpenetrable from the front by most tanks if you don't know the weak spots. Even knowing the weak spots, it's still damn hard to pen w/ gold. 30+ bounces a game are quite common.

They do seem to pretty much decimate the less thoughtful population. I've never had much trouble with them, but I don't try to engage them from the front unless they can't see me. Their command turret is a huge weakness, but it still takes enough hits that you'll likely lose to the rate of fire if you're visible.

They do seem to pretty much decimate the less thoughtful population. I've never had much trouble with them, but I don't try to engage them from the front unless they can't see me. Their command turret is a huge weakness, but it still takes enough hits that you'll likely lose to the rate of fire if you're visible.

Yeah, command turret is comparatively weak. It's over 100mm thick IIRC, so it can still be near invincible to a lot of tier 4s and lower. But then again, the number one thing on TDs is never engage from the front.

Since the game's release it is generally accepted that the Russian line of tanks are the easiest to get in and grind up. Good for newbs to cut their teeth on until they get the hang of things. Its not the only good line of tanks but easiest to start out with. Individual tastes, preference, and play styles come into things heavily however. For example I much prefer American mediums and TDs over the other national lines of same but that's just me.

American TDs have their points in clan matches. I've been grinding through the E4 line and about to fork off the T28P to get onto the E3 line as well. IMHO though, for grinding and pub matches, the 268 line is just scary and amazingly fun. Simply no bad tanks between the tier 5 and up.

Last edited:
Currently if you interested in the end game clan wars aspect, russian heavy tanks are pretty much obselete, the american heavies are the most used. Of course by the time you get there, it may be buffed and used again, who knows, WG buff/nerfs pretty much with every patch.

Currently if you interested in the end game clan wars aspect, russian heavy tanks are pretty much obselete, the american heavies are the most used. Of course by the time you get there, it may be buffed and used again, who knows, WG buff/nerfs pretty much with every patch.

Honestly, there's not that much difference between an IS-7 and an E5. I'd much rather have a more skilled driver than the minor differences between the two, especially after you factor in everyone running gold in clan wars. Is the E5 a small preference? Sure, but that preference has really tightened since the E5 has become much more common (and people learn where to shoot it).

That being said, anyone on their first grind path whatever they chose will most likely be out of date by the time they reach the end of the line. It is extremely rare for a new player to pick a single line and grind it start to finish and put in significant time into the game.

There is a big difference, the E5 by a landslide is the preferred tank. Very seldom see is7 or is4 in clan wars anymore. I actually like most of the tanks in both trees leading up to it. T29 was the best tier 7 heavy when I was still playing, Is3 is was great in tier 8.

In medium to high level clan wars people obsess about having every advantage equipment-wise. Gold ammo, full equipment cadre, right tank, etc.

On the NA server most of the clans I'm referring to use the E5 as the go-to tank. Other tanks are useful for specific scenarios, but the E5 is the workhorse. Tank locking may change that; we'll see. I say this as I'm about 150k exp away from a 113 myself, so I'm not biased.

Is3 is was great in tier 8.

The IS3 is still a major pain if played by anyone who has at least a little clue how to angle it properly.

I totally hate shooting the IS3 when I am in my T95 with my Tier X 155 mm gun. It goes bounced, ricochet, didn't go through, bounced, etc., makes me furious. Yes yes ... l2p, aim better yadda yadda yadda, at range those things become more of a gamble than anything else.

Last night I had placed three shots almost perpendicular into the side of an IS3 turret and none of them resulted in a critical or any damage at all. Sucked so bad.

I try to just not shoot the IS3 at range if I have another target available. Hate having that tank on the other team.

Hate my T95, hate that fucking thing. Anyway, at range tho, the IS3 will also have trouble hitting its target consistently. The IS7 is in reality a puffed up Is3, same weak spots and everything.

In medium to high level clan wars people obsess about having every advantage equipment-wise. Gold ammo, full equipment cadre, right tank, etc.

I'm not sure obsess is the right word for the high level clan wars people. Expected is the better word. You are expected to run gold and gold equipment. Then they'll select the person who has the tank they need for the job they want done in their strategy on a particular map.

In a competitive clan wars, gold ammo and equipment is expected not optional. I however do keep regular rounds in my tank if the other team is a joke who bring tier 8s and shit like that into the match. Same in the tournaments too, when gold is on the line, its expected you fire premium rounds. I usually put equipment on all the tanks I plan on keeping, I do sometimes wait for an equipment sale.

Hate my T95, hate that fucking thing.

I hated my T95 as well, I even made a raging mad post about it on the official forum how it totally sucks now that everyone has at least a few gold rounds with them and even scouts can penetrate sides/rear easily now.

Then some dude responded who's WR is like 57% and who has over 1k games in the T95 saying how much he loves the tank and how it's really his most favorite. So I thought to myself; what is this guy doing that I am not doing? Sure, different strokes for different folks, but how can the opinion about one tank be so extremely opposite?

Now I am about 300 battles down the road with the T95 and I love it, love it very much!

Use vent, rammer, toolbox. That was the first change I made (from camo, bincos, vent). Crew at 100% made an unbelievably huge difference from 90%, particularly in acceleration, climbing, and turning speeds.

I currently have 100% repair and 100% camo on crew, working on BIA.

What really turned the tide for me in my T95 gameplay was to not be a bunker. I start games moving into the positions I tend to like, but if I see that there are too many on that side I turn around and drive all the way to the other end of the map if necessary.

So what if I am slow. I am also not afraid of arty unless there are 4-5 arties per side in the round. I played arty myself for a while (quit it, too infuriating) so I know that arty has a hard time hitting me if I move perpendicularly to their aiming. I also know that once arty has zeroed in on the heavies they are often reluctant to lose their aim to shoot a T95 elsewhere (the better players will, but most players suck).

IMHO the key to having fun with the T95 is to be mobile. Yes, it's slow, but if you start moving and you keep moving you will eventually get there. I have a couple of Invader medals with the tank because I move, and not just when I am the last tank standing. Especially in Himmelsdorf Encounter I am often at the flag just as soon as I can get there. See:

v0Yf8kJ.png

In my experience you also get a lot more support from your team if you move as opposed to just camp the base. A lot of times I have had team mates save me from hostiles who had moved in behind me or locked my side.

Ideally you find a medium player with whom you can platoon and who will keep an eye on you. T95+Med combo is pretty deadly.

Also, even though I have thousands of battles played I really only learned how to angle properly in the T28 and then the T95 because both are simply too slow to try and move back behind cover. If you move behind cover to avoid a frontal-ish shot you expose your side while you are turning and that's when they nail you. If you just stay put and angle you have a good chance of not taking any dmg at all.

Not sure how many battles you have in your T95, but mine started to shine about 30-40 battles in once I figured out how this tank actually works. I try to not shoot at long range if I can help it. Even with everyone having a few gold rounds there is still a lot of "Oh shit! A T95 is coming at me!" to be had in this game so I try to get in under 400m on most targets to make the shots count. Obviously that doesn't work in some maps, but still the key is to move up.

If I have multiple targets I shoot the one that can hurt the team the most, not necessarily the one that's shooting me. I just trust that the team will get that guy that's plinking me with zero to 70 dmg at a time while I shoot the E5 or whatever.

only times i remember having a decent game with a T95 is on either himmesdorf or ruinberg where its narrow and arty have a hard time hitting me in the city. On a map like El Halluf? forget about it, it take me the entire match to get up the hill.

Nice post Thuleman. It's a pleasant surprise to see someone 'thinking' about their play style. I've got a friend that rages on people telling him to 'angle his armor', then I cringe as I watch him give side shots in slugfests with his Super Persh ( he's got a good record, I dont know how he does it :D )

Man i don't miss these guys..

I was trying to take down this KV-5 with my Jag 8,8, i was using AP shells for most of it, and most were bouncing or just doing critical damage to modules,k shooting at vents, ammo, tracks (knocked off his tracks several times), so i switched to HE and finally killed the guy, then he goes off on a rage about how only a n00b uses HE and blah blah blah.. meanwhile i just killed him, using HE...

I explain i just switched to HE cause all i was getting was module damage, so like most brats in WoT he rages and feel's the need to rage in chat as well..

Blocked now but was fun none the less..

kY9P9U7.png

I suck arse :D my first while on WoT i was a rushing twat with al the tanks, wasn't till i got to higher TD's i started to play properly, and even then i still suck :D

I've been playing since 2013. The past year I haven't taken the game that seriously and just have been playing to complete personal missions and in game missions. I left a top clan wars clan about a year ago. Now I'm considering getting back into clan wars after the changes to Clan Wars 2.0 made it less of a grind.

EDIT: fixed typo

Last edited:
I've been playing since 2015. The past year I haven't taken the game that seriously and just have been playing to complete personal missions and in game missions. I left a top clan wars clan about a year ago. Now I'm considering getting back into clan wars after the changes to Clan Wars 2.0 made it less of a grind.
Not sure how CW2.0 could have improved things for top clans, all it did was improve things for clans that could never win land by adding lower tier areas for them.

Ya, i find myself going back to it now and then for a week or 2, but i am at the point i need 2-3 million coin to buy a new tank, getting to lvl9 tanks now for my TD's...

Back