World of Tanks MMO

wrbt what tank did you go for. Also until you get the better guns in the tier 2 tanks they are a bit puny usually. I have a panzer 2 thats only tier 2 and its quite effective. The Tank destroyers starting guns are weak so if you have one of those they will take a bit of work to upgrade past the starting ones. If you choose an SPG then the matchmaker will treat you as a higher tier, as you have so much power.

If you choose an SPG then the matchmaker will treat you as a higher tier, as you have so much power.
That is good info to know, thank you very much. I'm a jagdpanzer I, I'd like to get the next one up and I had the exp to research it but nowhere near the money needed and it sure is slow going since I can't seem to kill anything in the games I'm dropped in.

I've heard people saying your job is to be a scout when everyone else has better tanks but a tank destroyer isn't much for scouting, for me it seems my primary role is to hide in a bush until someone else comes by, shoot them in the arse 4-5 times, then have them turn around and kill me. :)

Nah a TD shouldnt be used for scouting unless its an emergency. Try different gun combinations. What tier Jagdpanzer are you? The Jagdpanzer 4 is a tier 5 TD but its relatively powerful theres also the Tier 1 TD thats powerful for its tier. For the shooting of tanks try aiming at viewports. Tend to be a weak area, also it gets a lot easier when you have an 80% + crew.

That is good info to know, thank you very much. I'm a jagdpanzer I, I'd like to get the next one up and I had the exp to research it but nowhere near the money needed and it sure is slow going since I can't seem to kill anything in the games I'm dropped in.

I've heard people saying your job is to be a scout when everyone else has better tanks but a tank destroyer isn't much for scouting, for me it seems my primary role is to hide in a bush until someone else comes by, shoot them in the arse 4-5 times, then have them turn around and kill me. :)

Ideally as a tank destroyer should be hanging back out of sight of most of the enemy tanks.
Pick locations you will have good line of fire so your own scouts can highlight enemies for you to pick at. If you're not one of the stronger tanks on the team, leave the heavies for SPGs and focus on the medium tanks and other tank destroyers that will be carving up your scouts.

For the most part, tank destroyers have or can be equipped with pretty good guns for their tier so you should be able to fire into the front armor of most vehicles with some success. It's often very hard to see, but the little ^ in the center of your crosshairs will change color to indicate how likely you are to penetrate enemy armor
Green : Fire away, your shell should always go through
Yellow : it's a dice roll, armor is more than the minimum penetration, but less than the max.
Red : Get out and throw rocks for all the good you're doing.

If your shells are bouncing off, either switch to HE rounds (if your gun supports them), or find another target and let the SPGs deal with them.

Anyone still playing this? How far are you guys? Here is my progress so far. I've been focusing mainly on the German line (because I focused on Soviet in CBT). American line is the least interesting for me...

shot_028.jpg

shot_029.jpg

shot_030.jpg

How are you doing in the upper tiers, meaning say 6 and up? I assume you are paying for Premium? Was the Panther II worth the grind?

How are you doing in the upper tiers, meaning say 6 and up? I assume you are paying for Premium? Was the Panther II worth the grind?

I'm doing fine. I'm not a great player, but I'm also not that bad. I did start running into money problems (at first) when I got to tier 8 (even with premium account). But the Lowe (great for making money) and upgrades fixed that.

Was the Panther II worth the grind? Eh... That's a hard question. Both the Panthers are sniper tanks and they must stay in groups with heavy tanks. The Panthers will almost always lose in a 1v1 engagement with a similar tier 8-9 Soviet/American medium. I grinded for the Panther II because I wanted the free tank slot and 100% crew that will come in patch 6.6 when the E-50 is released. If you don't care about this, then I say go for the USSR or US medium line. They seem way more fun.

PS: my stats - http://uc.worldoftanks.com/uc/accounts/1000268918-Quake897/

Lowe still worth it to farm credits? Saw on the forums that a bunch of people complained that the earnings had been nerfed with 6.5. What's your take on that?

Also, free slot and 100% crew? I guess I need to start reading more about this stuff since I have no idea what you are talking about. ;)

Lowe still worth it to farm credits? Saw on the forums that a bunch of people complained that the earnings had been nerfed with 6.5. What's your take on that?

Also, free slot and 100% crew? I guess I need to start reading more about this stuff since I have no idea what you are talking about. ;)

Right, it was nerfed, but it's still a pretty good credit maker. Before 6.5 I was able to make up to 120k credits per match. Now it's about half of that.

Regarding free slot and crews. Here's the link explaining everything:

http://overlord-wot.blogspot.com/2011/04/full-tech-trees-revised-and-improved.html

As you've noticed, some of these changes have already taken place, others will come in later patches. If you want free tanks, crews, and slots, I suggest going for KV line. Keep reading that blog for interesting info on the game. It's updated quite often.

Is anyone still playing this game i'd like to be in a team or something. I don't know anyone else that plays this so playing random battles gets annoying. Everyone just rushes or splits up and gets picked off.

A friend showed me this at the last LAN, the game is neat but the leveling up and new kit is what keeps me playing and the grind is too harsh, like an order of magnitude too harsh.

I like the game just have a hard time with random battle with people i don't know its everyone for themselves and game is over in 2minutes

You should try and join in a clan. makes the experience much more worthwhile platooning with 3 other players where your able coordinate and even better playing in tank companies. Next release will split the tank companies battles into 3 brackets to allow lower tier to play.

Here is a good Group to join and play with:
http://uc.worldoftanks.com/uc/clans/1000000265-HYPE/

A buddy of mine got me started on it recently, yea the grind can be bad and the matchmaker will very often make you want to throw shit, other the that its pretty good.They are introducing more game modes soonish.

A friend showed me this at the last LAN, the game is neat but the leveling up and new kit is what keeps me playing and the grind is too harsh, like an order of magnitude too harsh.
You must not have been playing the original Everquest. ;)
The grind in WoT is fine imho especially since there is nothing to do once you get to Tier 10. Doesn't actually take that long to "level up", about 200-ish battles once you are in the higher tiers.

The server population as a whole is in upper tiers now which makes it a bit tricky for new players since they will often be put in a team and vs opponents which are significantly stronger.

Basically the game is stagnating in terms of new players, and vets are leaving because there's nothing meaningful to do once you are at the "level cap". The dev is trying to quickly cash in with a couple different clones (World of Warplanes, World of Battleships), but overall the concept can only keep one entertained for about half a year of casual play and then there's nothing to do and one is burned out.

I been playing since way back in beta last year. The game does have a grind to it but not anything as bad as any MMO I have ever played before and I have played a few in my time. I don't consider WoT a true MMO however. Its more of a MP type game than a MMO IMHO.

I been playing since way back in beta last year. The game does have a grind to it but not anything as bad as any MMO I have ever played before and I have played a few in my time. I don't consider WoT a true MMO however. Its more of a MP type game than a MMO IMHO.

It's become very top heavy (so leveling up never feels like real progress since most people are still better than you) as several people have said and it really pushes the 'pay to win' mechanic by sticking you against vastly superior tanks on a regular basis.

When I finally got my Tiger tank, I played some matches, realized it was the same exact thing that I'd been going through since I had a Panzer III and haven't logged in since. I'm was still hopelessly out-gunned by half the enemy team in most battles and now it costs twice as much to repair and rearm and takes twice as long to research upgrades.

It's become very top heavy (so leveling up never feels like real progress since most people are still better than you) as several people have said and it really pushes the 'pay to win' mechanic by sticking you against vastly superior tanks on a regular basis.

When I finally got my Tiger tank, I played some matches, realized it was the same exact thing that I'd been going through since I had a Panzer III and haven't logged in since. I'm was still hopelessly out-gunned by half the enemy team in most battles and now it costs twice as much to repair and rearm and takes twice as long to research upgrades.

Sounds like what happened in CBT. I remember getting burnt out really fast after 200+ matches.
And that was with the free premium every day, I can't even imagine how bad it is without.

+1

I've about had it with this game. I only play a little bit every couple days now and it is a real grind. I have a Tiger, T-20, JagdPzIV and Hummel. Each has all it's upgrades unlocked and each is still less than 1/2 way to unlocking the next tank. Earning money is slow at this point and that would severly limit my future tank purchases.

I have not paid one cent to play so I'm not going to complain too loudly. I had some fun but now BF3 is in my sights :)

Honestly the whole "omg I am so outgunned" is really a matter of "you need to learn to play".
No game in inherently lost before it starts and for each low level gun on your team there is a low level gun on the other team (give or take).

I have played 3,900+ matches thus far and from that experience I can tell you that there aren't any bad tanks or bad matches, only bad drivers.

Many players get a new tank and are like "Whee, I will WTFPWN everyone now!" except that they don't because they don't realize what their role in the battle is and how to properly play that role.

If you are in a Tiger I (as example), then your role isn't to go head to head with tanks which are vastly superior. Your role is to intercept the scouts and then provide support for your heavies by tracking the hostiles, going around them to shoot them in the rear, or occasionally drawing fire and die so that the hostiles don't shoot your heavies.

WoT is a lot like LoL in that aspect. Some tanks are your carries and the purpose of the other tanks is to support and at times sacrifice yourself so that your carry can live and win the game.

I see people in "lesser" tanks than the one I am in go head to head with me, just sitting there waiting to reload somehow magically thinking that they can outgun me in a one on one. That will never happen. At the same time you need to be aware of your own capability, the capability of the hostile tank, have situational awareness to see what's going on around you and enough analytical capacity to decide what to do about it.

As a sidenote, I do run premium but I won't renew it now that I don't really need the experience anymore. In terms of credits I'd suggest to buy a Loewe and not worry about credits anymore (whether or not you have premium).

Overall WoT is still a fun game for some instant action where you can log on, shoot something, and log off a few minutes later if that's what you want to do. However, the lack of end-game really hampers the long term appeal.

I don`t agree with no tank being bad or something. There are better tanks and worse tanks. And new tanker is always at great disadvantage (no upgrades).

Tiger I as a scout chaser/killer? Man, that thing is one of the slowest tanks and has poor armor. Tiger I is pure long range damage support.

Games still mostly hang on what team does, in 15vs15 one guy rarely can make enough difference to sway a bad game (unless he is in top tank). WoT is fun and definitely not a game one should take seriously. Running premium seems futile, silver mine like T-59 or Lowe should give player enough money to continue. Or grinding lots with tier 5...

I've come to the conclusion i must be terrible at this game, about 1500ish games and not a single top gun or confederate medal.

All tanks have their strengths and weaknesses, that's a given, and a stock tank is typically at a significant disadvantage. When fully upgraded, I've had decent luck with most tanks however.

My personal best is actually with a Tiger I, 10 kills in a single round. I think I was the strongest tank on my team and there certainly was some luck involved :)

Honestly the whole "omg I am so outgunned" is really a matter of "you need to learn to play".
No game in inherently lost before it starts and for each low level gun on your team there is a low level gun on the other team (give or take).

I have played 3,900+ matches thus far and from that experience I can tell you that there aren't any bad tanks or bad matches, only bad drivers.

Many players get a new tank and are like "Whee, I will WTFPWN everyone now!" except that they don't because they don't realize what their role in the battle is and how to properly play that role.

No, I appreciate that different tanks have different roles; that's important for the game.
What frustrated, or at least caused me to lose interest is that the role is at least as much defined by your level as the research path you've taken. And it seems to stagnate for a long time in the middle.

After hundreds of battles to grind out the experience required for the Tiger and get a heavy tank, but it just didn't make a difference in how the game expected me to play. And if I had to guess, if I spent the time to grind out a Tiger II, I'd probably feel the same way again.

It's probably a lot more like what I was wanting when you get up to the top couple levels and you're never vastly inferior (level-wise) to what you're going up against so you can do what the class of vehicle is meant to do rather than what you have to do to not die immediately.
But I think they deliberately made it very hard to get to that point without paying. Which is OK, they're here to make money, and that's the business model for them.

Tiger I as a scout chaser/killer? Man, that thing is one of the slowest tanks and has poor armor. Tiger I is pure long range damage support.
Which is why it's a great tank to shoot incoming scouts with. It doesn't need to move and it doesn't need armor vs lights. Learn how to lead fast moving targets and you get to help your team in the first minute of the game. Once the most obvious scouts have rushed you then have time to provide support to other tanks which have meanwhile advanced and light up stuff you can shoot at long range.

I've come to the conclusion i must be terrible at this game, about 1500ish games and not a single top gun or confederate medal.
Top gun doesn't matter, neither does confederate.
In terms of xp/credits what matters is the damage you do. The more damage to a higher tier tank the more xp/credits you earn.

In terms of winning the game both top gun and confederate are actually hindrances. Top gun requires you to get killshots, so while you are chasing those you aren't killing the one target that may turn the tide. Confederate is similar. It doesn't matter how many tanks you damage, you want to damage the right tank at the right time.

After hundreds of battles to grind out the experience required for the Tiger and get a heavy tank, but it just didn't make a difference in how the game expected me to play. And if I had to guess, if I spent the time to grind out a Tiger II, I'd probably feel the same way again.
I am not sure that I can follow what you are saying. The Tiger I plays differently than the VK3061H, not just because of stats but also because of the playstyle needed and when you do what in game.

It is true that in the current state of the game the Tiger I tier is a bit at a disadvantage because most often you will be paired with substantially superior tanks. So don't go head to head with stuff that can one-shoot you. With the Tiger II the matchmaker results improve significantly.

It's also true that you are basically expected to pay for premium to grind through Tier 7 to 10. Otherwise it may be hard to pay for losses/new tanks.

Meh, medium tanks are far better scout killers because they can also ram those light tanks and keep up with them.

yesterday a T-50 I think decided since he was almost dead he would ram my KV-3, no damage, no critical, t-50 went boom

Tiger I is my best tank also. You have to learn how to play it's role exactly though. It's pure sniper/long range unless you start the match near the top of the list, then you are the designated heavy.

Get 116% crew with vents and get a rammer and it's a great tank.

xCantoniousx if you want to add me to your contacts.. I usually play a few rounds a day, sometimes more.

Every tank has it's share of good and bad, and some are easier/more forgiving than others. In my experience, it comes down more to the team than anything else. Granted, being a good driver helps, but not much you can do when your the only one defending against a push, while the rest of your team mates are: afk, camping, shooting each other, playing bumper cars, or typing how bad you suck because your light/medium tank couldn't stop 5-8 other tanks while getting artied. Random battles are just that, platooning can help, and then there's always clans. Someday, I might join a clan, just no time now.

Meh, medium tanks are far better scout killers because they can also ram those light tanks and keep up with them.

This is a really great post to show the difference in play-style one will encounter when playing WoT which makes battles a highly dynamic environment that keeps it interesting (to me at least) even though the maps are always the same.

My highest mediums are the T-44 and the Pershing (well and the T-59 I suppose) and I don't use the medium to kill lights unless the opportunity just happens to present itself. In a medium my armor is my mobility, ramming a light and risking to be tracked isn't worth it to me and I believe it's not worth it to the team either. Ramming is also problematic because everyone and their child is shooting at the light and you may just get into the line of fire. Since I am on the move in a medium my accuracy is worse than that of a heavy who takes aim at a scout while standing still.

I use mediums to close the distance to the enemy quickly to deny them the opportunity to settle into their camp spots and then I stay alive via mobility/cover to take potshots and keep em light up and occasionally kill a heavy stupid enough to come out and play even tough his turret traverse can't keep up with me circling him.

I am also using the hitbox skins which really help brawling mediums/heavies to get in excellent hits at close ranges.

I've discover most of them aren't stupid enough to let a medium circle them, how is the T-44 btw, I have a T-43 now and I hear lots of whining about the 44 being a ticking time bomb.

I've discover most of them aren't stupid enough to let a medium circle them, how is the T-44 btw, I have a T-43 now and I hear lots of whining about the 44 being a ticking time bomb.

T-44 needs the wet ammo rack or you may as well not play it. Without it you will get one-shooted in every other game as your ammo rack explodes. Can't mount it till you get tracks so it does suck if you don't have enough free xp saved up.

I honestly can say that I don't enjoy the T-44 much, I got it fully upgraded and 60k xp toward the T-54 and I sold it to make room for other tanks. These days you get mostly thrown into matches where you are in the lower half of the team tier-wise and the 100mm gun can often not penetrate since you are shooting on the move rather than having time to aim at weak spots.

The 122mm gun, with 100% crew and vent has a reload time of 17-ish seconds which is unacceptable for a medium brawler. With the wet ammo rack you still get racked often so you need to blow your repair kit on that rather than tracks, which means that when you do get tracked you are basically dead.

The T-44 needs to be played very very carefully trying to mostly stay behind cover and that's really not my playstyle for mediums.

I'm going to chime in and say that most of the opinions here about what tanks to use are pretty spot on.

Each tank in the game is starting to really flesh out to certain playing styles.

A great example would be my Marder. I still play with it even though I own higher-tiered tanks. It's actually the first tank I upgraded the gun and the sound that thing makes just makes me giggle as I watch my enemies get shredded. I have 29 Top Guns with it.

Another great tank is the VK3601H. Specifically if you fit the konisch gun and premium rounds you can punch through IS4 armor. Yes, the amount of damage is horrid, but just being able to damage higher-tiered tanks gets me gobs of XP and credits.

Another particularly fun tank is the Ferdinand with the 128mm gun. Just don't let anyone get behind you...

I do play Russian heavies, but I'm not a fan of the reload times even with 100% crew and a rammer.
I've not played US tanks at all, but I heard the T92 is a BEAST, so I might be moving along that line soon.

I play all my tanks pretty aggressively. My wife complains when I play because I get so focused and competitive.

You get out of WoT what you put into it.

Eh when I played this it was still in beta, the match making was really bad at that time and there were a lot of balance issues but it may have changed I guess. Might give it another go. At the time it seemed that the russian heavies for the most part were wholly out gunned by any weight equivalent german tank, and I realize that may have been a more realistic feature but the rest of the game really never struck me as being all that realistic so the balancing just really didnt seem to fit. I loved the medium tanks higher on the tree, they always felt fun even when you were at a huge disadvantage.

The only other thing that bugged me was that a few of the maps really promoted a sit still and wait for the first idiot that exposes himself to give us a kill, style of play, those maps always seemed to drag and weren't very much fun.

matchmaking is still very umm shit. They did say they are going to change it in the next patch i think.

I prefer to use medium tanks defensively and as heavy support. On certain maps there is actually room to really maneuver so you can get to flanks relatively safely but unfortunately many maps are not good for this.

HE rounds work well against lightly armored scouts and have decent chance of blowing out their tracks as well. Usually I ram lights that are trying to pass me head on and I`m not concerned about friendly fire at all. I can`t remember getting shot like that, most friendly fire is simply driving in front of some camping tank or getting shot from longer range by accident. Your mileage may wary of course.

Back