World of Tanks MMO

Only thing I wish they would change is the ability to have more people in your group.

Three just isn't enough ;/

For any n00bs a few tips:

- Don't sell your crew when you upgrade a tank. Put them in the barracks and retrain them for the new tank. Otherwise you'll start out at a 50% crew or have to pay for higher level crews.

- When your crew gets to 100% efficiency then a little + sign becomes visible to add secondary skills that they start training - camo, repair, firefighting. I suggest a bias toward repair in tank destroyers (TD).

- Play artillery at least a few rounds even if you don't plan on doing it more than that. Use CTRL to bring up the cursor and right click in a map grid to go to overhead view. Use shift to get out of overhead view. You'll learn how artillery can and can't target you.

- Keep your front armor toward the enemy as much as possible, it's thicker.

- When you get some cash ($100k or more) you'll be able to add in upgrades like a camo net (highly suggested). You get three slots and some of them can be dismounted to use in another tank. Some are bound to the tank and are destroyed if you sell it. If you have a tank you'd like to keep for a while I suggest camo net, binocs, and a rammer.

- Hide in bushes and trees to mask your vehicle (takes a few seconds to mask). Moving the hull and/or turret unmasks you, but in a TD moving the gun does not.

- I find little difference in using the premium 'gold' ammo.

- If you are shooting a higher tier tank and not damaging it then use HE ammo. Your damage will be limited but since you're going after a higher tier vehicle you should still get some decent xp.

- Play each tank in your inventory each day to a win to get double xp.

- There is XP tied to each vehicle, and there is 'free' XP that accrues to use on any vehicle. Use the free XP wisely! It can saved and used to upgrade a new tank so that the initial grind isn't so painful. With enough of it you can even jump a tier.

- When you use your XP in the Tech Tree to research a gun, engine, etc. you still need to click on that item once more to actually buy it and mount it. Check your ammo loadout when changing guns and turrets.

- In the Tech Tree when you have all items researched you'll get a popup that you've gained Elite status. You can check the 'accelerate crew training' box, or you can accumulate XP that can be converted to the 'free' XP. This requires gold to do.

- Generally use AP ammo, target the middle of the vehicle at the turret/hull line and wait half a second when your round loads before firing to give a good chance at landing the shot.

- Keys 1, 2, 3 change ammo types. Hit the key twice to unload one ammo type and load another.

- HE works best on artillery, although AP will usually do plenty of damage.

- Shoot the tracks to stop an enemy.

- If you have bought a package use your gold to buy a Premium account. You get 50% more XP and money for battles.

Last edited:
Started to play... it's fun. Showed it to my grandpa, who commanded the tank destroyer platoon in WW2, and well, got some good tips on how to ride and hide the steel beast :) Though, as the grandpa said, it's a pity you can't kill nazis with machine gun, when the crew is fleeing burning tank :)

Still wondering where the MMO is..

I get the RPG side, where you can customize your tank.

Waiting and waiting some more for new maps, gametypes, and american TDs.

Its a good filler game... reminds me of COD UO with base assault gametype minus soldiers and jeeps

Its not really an MMO. Everyone likes to call their game an MMO since its a buzz word in the gaming industry. Its really just a match making system. My main complaint is premium costs way too much ($15/month basically) for a game with very few featuers. OTOH I can play it for free.

Still wondering where the MMO is..
There isn't one. It's a marketing ploy but sadly far too many current players drink the koolaid and try to argue how it is an MMO or will soon™ be one.

I am really surprised that some law firm didn't send them a C&D letter over this yet, after all we live in a litigious society and there has to be at least one who tries.

Also, iirc the camo net only works well for TDs who don't move (moving cannon on TD is fine, tracks is not) since its effect vanishes if you move tracks or move the turret.

I was trying to describe this game to a coworker today and realized that in short.. this is a Mech game in disguise. Large scale, mechanized combat that is medium paced, simple to control but very micro in tactic.

Knowing your tank, your upgrades and your enemies and playing to strengths and weaknesses really is what sets you apart here. The RPG elements aren't very light, I feel that they are quite rich and the customization and grinding rewards players who put in the time and research.

Dare I say this game feels kind of (kind of) like a Mechwarrior game, but tanks. Maybe that'll perk a few ears of lurkers reading this thread. Its a F2P game, go download and play. There is a medium to steep learning curve so read the Wiki and you will get out what you put in.

I was trying to describe this game to a coworker today and realized that in short.. this is a Mech game in disguise. Large scale, mechanized combat that is medium paced, simple to control but very micro in tactic.

Knowing your tank, your upgrades and your enemies and playing to strengths and weaknesses really is what sets you apart here. The RPG elements aren't very light, I feel that they are quite rich and the customization and grinding rewards players who put in the time and research.

Dare I say this game feels kind of (kind of) like a Mechwarrior game, but tanks. Maybe that'll perk a few ears of lurkers reading this thread. Its a F2P game, go download and play. There is a medium to steep learning curve so read the Wiki and you will get out what you put in.

I actually think its the opposite. Played it all through beta. Came to the conclusion that there really are not much in way of tactics. Not sure what RPG elements you are talking about. Unrealistic dmg models. And fairly quick paced.

[LYL]Homer;1037116323 said:
For any n00bs a few tips:
- Generally use AP ammo, target the middle of the vehicle at the turret/hull line and wait half a second when your round loads before firing to give a good chance at landing the shot.

An excellent list.
I'll say a bit more on ammo:

AP rounds are 'hit or bounce'
If they penetrate the armor, they do full damage, if they don't, they don't do any damage.
If you're fighting a enemy where you're consistently penetrating, AP rounds are generally best.

HE rounds are more complicated. They penetrate very little armor in comparison to AP rounds, but even when they don't penetrate they 'explode' and can do damage (less damage than if they went through, and less damage than an AP round that penetrates, but usually more than zero). HE rounds are excellent against lightly armored targets (SPGs, the rear armor of take destroyers, or tanks several tiers weaker than you) because of their high damage values, and the only way to do any damage to very tough targets.
If you're crew keep telling you 'that bounced' or 'didn't go through' switch to HE, at least you can do some damage that way.

I actually think its the opposite. Played it all through beta. Came to the conclusion that there really are not much in way of tactics. Not sure what RPG elements you are talking about. Unrealistic dmg models. And fairly quick paced.

RPG as in tech trees for tanks, and all sorts of grindable vehicle upgrades. You also upgrade your crew, train them and can buy things like camo etc.. if you have the cash (xp). Its very RPG actually, as far as skill trees are concerned.

Tactics in general? Not sure we're playing the same game. This game controls easily but is far from arcade. Knowing the strengths of the battlefield, your tank and the exact model of tank you're 1 on 1 against will tip the scale in your favor every time. Last night I finished numero uno 14 games in a row.

If you choose not to use tactics or assume they dont come into play, enjoy being at the bottom of the list. This game is a perfect example of you get out of it, what you put in. 3 days in and I'm so smitten that I've already clanned up with one of the highest ranked clans and their strats are unreal.

Game has some real potential and should not be overlooked.

.... Doesn't sound like WoT.

RPG as in tech trees for tanks, and all sorts of grindable vehicle upgrades. You also upgrade your crew, train them and can buy things like camo etc.. if you have the cash (xp). Its very RPG actually, as far as skill trees are concerned.

Tactics in general? Not sure we're playing the same game. This game controls easily but is far from arcade. Knowing the strengths of the battlefield, your tank and the exact model of tank you're 1 on 1 against will tip the scale in your favor every time. Last night I finished numero uno 14 games in a row.

If you choose not to use tactics or assume they dont come into play, enjoy being at the bottom of the list. This game is a perfect example of you get out of it, what you put in. 3 days in and I'm so smitten that I've already clanned up with one of the highest ranked clans and their strats are unreal.

Game has some real potential and should not be overlooked.

Glad you enjoy it still but it still stands that its an arcade tank game if anything. I am also spoiled though with games like Battleground Europe so all the inaccuracies bother me.

I played this a lot for about 3 weeks then stopped because I wanted to enjoy this with the real game and not lose all the time I'm putting into it since the beta will be wiped..

I'm playing as I did in beta - I'm getting each tank on each tree to Elite. Been having a great time doing it. I'm Tier 3 across the board now with a few Tier 4 vehicles. Some like to grind to the top fast, I play the whole field.

I've come across some that get burned out eventually. I just play with the intention of having fun instead of an expectation of getting some tank or another.

[LYL]Homer;1037138315 said:
I'm playing as I did in beta - I'm getting each tank on each tree to Elite. Been having a great time doing it. I'm Tier 3 across the board now with a few Tier 4 vehicles. Some like to grind to the top fast, I play the whole field.

Yep, I'm playing everything except for SPG right now. Elited every single tank up to Tier 3. Currently working on completing Tier 4. Getting to the highest tiers will take a LONG time, but I'm in no rush.

Last edited:
I started to do that, and finished the tier 1's off but im trying to get an S-51 again so decided to just go down the KV tree for now, will come back later and unlock lots of the smaller tanks, it will help the player base anyway later on.

On the plus side, being in a KV or KV3 atm really kicks ass, been top player loads of times and with bigger people hardly any. Trouble is I wont be able to play for 5 days so Ill be bottom of the heap again :(

I am still in love with this game, quite possibly the best game I've played in something like 5 years. I have a few their 5's now.. working on 100%ing my T34 then moving onto a T54 to destroy!

I am still in love with this game, quite possibly the best game I've played in something like 5 years. I have a few their 5's now.. working on 100%ing my T34 then moving onto a T54 to destroy!

I know man, this is my first game "addiction" in a while. I just moved up to my first Tier 5 yesterday (since the beta, not counting the pre-order tank). Got myself a PzIII/IV. Good tank, but I've been getting nothing but Tier 7 matches where I can only plink away with my lowly 75mm.

I've picked up on a lot of groaning over people working through the M3 Lee. I just finished mine last night and thought it worked quite well - as a tank destroyer. I had one battle in it with 7 kills, and four battles with 6 kills.

[LYL]Homer;1037147472 said:
I've picked up on a lot of groaning over people working through the M3 Lee. I just finished mine last night and thought it worked quite well - as a tank destroyer. I had one battle in it with 7 kills, and four battles with 6 kills.

The Lee has a very good cannon (for its tier) and very nice front sloped armor, but the problem is with the rest of the tank's design. The cannon is placed pretty low, and the tank itself is very tall. It's too easy to become exposed, and when you are exposed, it can be difficult to return fire.

I'm almost done with 100%ing my T34 which is just destroying tanks in similar tiers or even 1 up. I need to grind through the 34-85 to get to my 43, then 44 and finally the glorious T54. She will be mine.. oh yes, she will ... be mine.

Hey guys, post your game names also...So I can add ya as a friend and then in a platoon if we are on the same time :p

Mine is Bowhuntr11

M37 SUCKKKKS

Feels like 2 shots a minute and can't kill shit.

Haha...the m37 is horrible...I kept feeling the more I went up in teirs the worse they got...

The m7 sucks even more when you first get it! It can only shoot like halfway across the map! Once you upgrade the gun though it is pretty awesome... So thats your aiming point for your next decent SPG mark :p

I am just earning XP now for the m41.....halfway there...

polarman is my ingame name, although wont be on much until the weekend, got to try and get the footage that I captured from last weeks airshow sorted.

Been playing this the last two nights.

Holy.. **** it's brilliant....

If I have to level one criticism it's that the game often pairs you up with much higher level tanks (I'm tier 4 and was in several games with tier 9 tanks tonight) that you can't actually dent. So you either die within the first minute or you try and find a bush to hide in and hope you might be contributing in some fashion and that nobody drives past you and gives you away. It's also like Counterstrike so once you die you have to wait it out. You can't even quit out and join another game after you die as your tank stays in the fight until its over.

I have a feeling they do it on purpose to make you spend more real money advancing faster. I refuse to believe with 26k players online that it can't pair me up with 30 other people of the same tier in a reasonable amount of time. That would be infinitely preferable to doing nothing for 15 minutes because of the crazy matchmaking system.

It's also like Counterstrike so once you die you have to wait it out. You can't even quit out and join another game after you die as your tank stays in the fight until its over.

You just exit battle and use one of your other tanks...I have my main US SPG tank, and then I have 2 other smaller tanks I am advancing in the German tree whenever I am waiting for my SPG to get out of battle

In game name is the same as my [H] username, so: Angelus897.

Been playing this the last two nights.

Holy.. **** it's brilliant....

If I have to level one criticism it's that the game often pairs you up with much higher level tanks (I'm tier 4 and was in several games with tier 9 tanks tonight) that you can't actually dent. So you either die within the first minute or you try and find a bush to hide in and hope you might be contributing in some fashion and that nobody drives past you and gives you away. It's also like Counterstrike so once you die you have to wait it out. You can't even quit out and join another game after you die as your tank stays in the fight until its over.

Remember that by upgrading modules you can raise your tank's tier. Though you still shouldn't be facing anything higher than maybe Tier 7 at that point. Matchmaking is one area they really need to work on.

In game name is the same as my [H] username, so: Angelus897.

Remember that by upgrading modules you can raise your tank's tier. Though you still shouldn't be facing anything higher than maybe Tier 7 at that point. Matchmaking is one area they really need to work on.

I found out that A-20's, Leopards and M5's all get put in maximum tier games as scouts. As my friend (we are in a two man platoon) is driving an A-20 on his way up the Russian tank tree, we both get dragged into these impossible matchups.

They really need to work on their whole matchmaking thing. If someone has been playing for months and enjoys the role of a scout in high tier matches then fine but every player on their way up the tree shouldn't be subjected to that almost every match.

Yeah Finkus - just quit the battle and join another. You'll still get xp and cash without having to wait.

And as far as the matching system - as a lower tier tank in a battle you will get a proportionally higher amount of xp/cash for participating. When I'm in that situation I try to follow a heavy or two and use them as a shield an pop out from behind them to get a shot off. Even damaging a higher tier tank a little has a good payoff, use HE ammo if AP isn't doing anything.

As Angelus said - if you're finding yourself in higher tier battles than you are comfortable with try swapping to a different gun, engine, or turret to try to 'downgrade' your tier ranking. I personally like being in with higher tier stuff to advance quicker (if I can survive!), though it can be a challenge to land decent hits.

Right now I've got all armor to Elite up through Tier 3, and I'm working on getting a mix of Tier 4/5/6 to Elite.

Just got my first heavy tank (only played medium in CBT), the KV. Man that thing is slow, but sure has a lot of armor.

I really enjoyed this game when I was brand new, as the random games would be mostly other newbies running around confused and having a good time.

Then I got my tier-2 tank and I'm nothing but fodder. Almost every match I'm either on the very bottom of the team listing or in the lowest five. I can ambush enemy tanks and hit 'em four times like an annoying mosquito and they'll turn and swat me with one shot before being on their merry way.

I'm not interesting in being just a scout while I grind my way higher, so will probably turn my eyes back to the upcoming Brink release.

Back