World First Carbon Fiber Case

The vents on the side ruin it. If I want a vent I'll cut it out myself...

preferably i like it, i like the vga vent nice touch, but the ultra fan grill... not so much, i think i'd take it off and add my own

i wonder if it is the REAL CF or just the look alike. A lot of stuff will say real CF but actually just be the look alike :(

If it is REAL CF, it will be expensive as CF is expensive to make.

carbon fiber is really freakin expensive. i have some carbon fiber parts on my bike and they cost a ridiculous amount of money and are only a tiny bit lighter than aluminum. carbon fiber is mostly for morons who want to look cool by throwing away money needlessly.

if i want to throw away money on a case i sure as shit wouldn't buy anything that says "Ultra" on it.

As everyone knows companies can always change there ways. Sure, Ultra is known for cheap cases, but maybe this case is differant. looking at the pics i see that alot of thought has gone into the design, I am sure the carbon fiber is more for asthetics then anything else, but it does look good. My only complaint as is others is the plasic on the front, it looks out of place on a carbon fiber and aluminum case that is designed to look like function over form.
I like the idea of the "Power Strip" could really help with wire clutter if and only IF it is done right, I don't see any SATA power plugs on it, but this dont mean it does not come with adapter cables which would work just as good.
I personally see ALOT of mod potential in this case, however I will wait for revies and a actual retail price before I make any final decisions before buying it.

I like that power distribution strip thing, thats kinda sweet. Makes for good cable mgmt.

but that distributed power thing looks amazing for cable management

BLAHHH!!!
And I was telling people like 3 years ago at another forum how that would be such a good thing to have and pretty much no one agreed with me.

Well the vents are requred for atx form factor, arn't they:confused:
No, there is no ATX vent requirement. To me, vents on the sides of cases are lame. The one generic case with a vent that I've had didn't come cose to matching up with the CPU. I think it's better to focus on proper front to back airflow than mess with side vents.

This case is FUGLY. The vents, combined with the silver frame/trim, what apears to be plastic feet and front... lame-o. It's no different than someone taking a POS car and adding $2,500 in wheels/tires and an annoying fart can for a muffler.

People knock ultra, but the aluminus is one of the cheapest aluminum cases available, and its a good case!

I like this I think, might pick one up.

Hmm.. the carbon fiber, although great bragging rights, doesnt really look any different from other black cases.. And, its Ultra, which makes it instantly a crappy case. :p

But I really like that power strip thing..

Hmm.. the carbon fiber, although great bragging rights, doesnt really look any different from other black cases.. And, its Ultra, which makes it instantly a crappy case. :p

But I really like that power strip thing..

That Powerstrip Thing is also Ultra, which means it is Crappy! well in your world anyway!

I think the carbon fiber idea is great, it would be perhaps better suited for SFF or M-atx cases that get carried to LANs, I think that is a market that isn't really exploited nearly as much as it could be. (i.e. why is there only 1 sli matx?). Since they are only using a couple of panels out of carbon fiber, it shouldn't be that expensive. I think it'll cost as much as a decent to high end aluminum case, and that will be a hard fight, a very nice silverstone, coolermaster, lian li, or an ultra carbon fiber? Astetics will mean everything for this product to sell. Sorry for the ramble. Len

I don't really like this case that much but what's with people knocking ultra, I have aluminus and it's a sweet cheap aluminum case. I have the 500w Xfinity PSU and I've never had a problem with it, doesn't have fugly cables either. I've heard about their bad psus however long ago but come on....just because they had a bad shipment doesn't mean it's eternally bad.

I knock ultra because they have such problems selling their crap, that they are regularly giving them away for free, or for < $20. For a while there, probably a few months straight, you could get one of their cases for like $10 all few months.

It is so ugly; I mean carbon fiber is ugly one 99.99% of all cars, so why should I spend the money on it for a case?

Carbon fiber isn't meant to look pretty, it's meant to be strong and light. It's stronger than steel and lighter than it as well.

Carbon fiber CAN be painted over the weird pattern on it. Many high performance cars' bodies are made entirely out of carbon fiber, yet are painted and look normal (and more often than not, quite sexy also).

Using CF for the weight advantage over aluminum I can see, but I don't see how a case needs to be stronger than steel. Given that, I can see how CF is kind of a ricey thing to have for your case.

I'd like to see others making CF cases before I buy one -- and who knows what the price will be.

I always thought carbon fiber was pretty easily breakable though.. I know they say its stronger then steel, but I thought you could just crack it into peices..like if you hit something..

Anybody ever worked with it.. ?

Doesn't look to bad considering some of the other cases on the market. The "Power Distribution System" Looks like it could be pretty cool as well.

Needs removable bays.

I always thought carbon fiber was pretty easily breakable though.. I know they say its stronger then steel, but I thought you could just crack it into peices..like if you hit something..

CF is a tad brittle compared to, say, Kevlar. It is also great in tension while being a bit weaker in compression. Mixing CF with Kevlar is sometimes done to offset these problems.

If you need that kind of strength to weight ratio in a computer, stop wrestling with it. Leave it on the floor/desk/whatever and just use it. :D

CF is for looks mostly in this application. A CF/Kevlar blend could make a decent laptop. though.

Ah.. I've dropped my PC before.. I was just wondering if the CF wouldnt just shatter if I dropped it..

Ah.. I've dropped my PC before.. I was just wondering if the CF wouldnt just shatter if I dropped it..

Nope, CF is used alot in Remote Control Cars, not the cheap ones at Toys 'R Us, But the full blown Race versions, these cars easily hit well over 60MPH on the race track with some extreme models hitting well over 100MPH in whats called an Insane Speed Run, this is a race where a single car at a time see's how fast they can go in 2 laps useually in a Velodrom (sp?) which is used for olimpic style bike racing, its a really smooth banked oval.
These cars often lose control and go flying, rarely is there any major chassis damage to the CF parts. However some problems it does have is Delamination on the edges when struck hard enough, but if your computer case is hit this hard, you have alot more problems to worry about.

The CF panels will be alot more durable then even a steel panel, as they will not dent or bend as easy, but they are lighter than an Aluminim.

I am sure that the CF used in this case was chosen for one reason, Looks! there is simply no reason you need something so strong and so light in a normal computer case, I personally like the look of CF, it has a 3 demisional pattern to it, something that cant be captued in any other material, I have never seen a CF style finish that even looks close to it, only the real thing looks like CF.

carbon fiber is really freakin expensive. i have some carbon fiber parts on my bike and they cost a ridiculous amount of money and are only a tiny bit lighter than aluminum. carbon fiber is mostly for morons who want to look cool by throwing away money needlessly.

if i want to throw away money on a case i sure as shit wouldn't buy anything that says "Ultra" on it.

That CF price on bike parts is all markup.

That CF price on MOST ANYTHING is all markup.

^^^ I edited that for ya.

I liked how at the auto show I went to last week, the new Viper motors had a carbon fiber name plate, mounted on top of the aluminum heads. It was so worthless, I laughed.

If antec or Lian Li made a carbon fiber case, no mater how overpriced you would still think its the best thing since sliced bread, but since ultra makes it, it automatically sucks without afterthought. The "VGA vent" I could do without though.

At least it comes with a lifetime warranty.

Back