World Exclusive RTX 2070 Review

The whole Tech Youtubers, its like a community. They work together and they have "you scratch my back I scratch yours" attitude. Hardware Unboxed Steve also has something to review (I dont remember what) and he is not under NDA but he chose to wait out of respect to his fellow reviewers. If he would make the review then he would get alienated fast.

Kyle is one of the old guard reviewers, it is business first and only community he has is us, this forum, and he doesn't give a shit what other people think. That said, times have changed. Kyle IS legally within his rights but I can't help but to think that he is committing a career suicide. :/ I REALLY hope I am wrong.
Suicide how? if he is black balled by other reviewers how does that affect his business?

I'm not sure how this will affect him as the other reviewers aren't scratching his back at all. If manufacturers sees this and decide to stop sending him stuff, then maybe but then again, he can always purchase the equipment and still do the reviews.

Suicide how? if he is black balled by other reviewers how does that affect his business?

I'm not sure how this will affect him as the other reviewers aren't scratching his back at all. If manufacturers sees this and decide to stop sending him stuff, then maybe but then again, he can always purchase the equipment and still do the reviews.

It is exactly the manufacturers I am worried about. And Kyle has said that this business does depend a lot on review copies, IIRC. His wallet is not infinite.

It is exactly the manufacturers I am worried about. And Kyle has said that this business does depend a lot on review copies, IIRC. His wallet is not infinite.

True, but wouldn't the manufacturers be more dependent on someone who is able to review their product fairly and has a lot of volume followers vise a site that only reviews samples given?

I'm sure this act has increased [H]'s foot traffic quite a bit.

i don't know what kind of impact it'll have down the road but even with msi having to officially ask kyle to remove the review i'm sure behind the scenes they're actually happy about it given it'll probably give them a sales increase even though they had nothing to do with the review it's self. either way given how long Kyle's been in the industry i don't think manufactures are going to instantly condemn him for this. Nvidia will though, but fuck'em.

True, but wouldn't the manufacturers be more dependent on someone who is able to review their product fairly and has a lot of volume followers vise a site that only reviews samples given?

I'm sure this act has increased [H]'s foot traffic quite a bit.

True, but only momentarily. MSI is very likely to blacklist HardOCP, and other manufacturers may take notice that Kyle is someone who doesn't play ball or so I fear. My fear is that manufacturers start to think that HardOCP is not the only player in town and Techtubers draw millions of viewers daily and as an added benefit they self-regulate which makes them easy to work with (or if I'm allowed to be cynical, easy to control).

True, but only momentarily. MSI is very likely to blacklist HardOCP, and other manufacturers may take notice that Kyle is someone who doesn't play ball or so I fear. My fear is that manufacturers start to think that HardOCP is not the only player in town and Techtubers draw millions of viewers daily and as an added benefit they self-regulate which makes them easy to work with (or if I'm allowed to be cynical, easy to control).
To be honest, I think the [H]'s black list is already finished as hes on Intels and NVidia's (and AMD's for a short while) those are the big ones, with that said if more companies cross off the site but the site still pulls in a lot of traffic then they lose the chance to get a better review from the [H]. Nvidia doesn't care as they are the only player in town, Intel might start caring pretty soon and AMD has already reversed their stance.

I think they will be fine, truly its easy for a company to only want to get a good review and thus only reward those who will only give good reviews but those sites often don't attract much traffic either, so its in their best interest to smooth things over the best they can.

Reactions: MaZa
like this

doesn't play ball? i mean nvidia basically tried to gag Kyle and [H] just to get review product access.. the only one not playing ball was Nvidia.. as long as i've been reading [H] i've never seen them break rank on NDA's they've signed so i don't think that's really an issue. the only real risk is Nvidia pressuring manufactures not to deal with Kyle but that only pretains to Nvidia products so woopty do.

To be honest, I think the [H]'s black list is already finished as hes on Intels and NVidia's (and AMD's for a short while) those are the big ones, with that said if more companies cross off the site but the site still pulls in a lot of traffic then they lose the chance to get a better review from the [H]. Nvidia doesn't care as they are the only player in town, Intel might start caring pretty soon and AMD has already reversed their stance.

I think they will be fine, truly its easy for a company to only want to get a good review and thus only reward those who will only give good reviews but those sites often don't attract much traffic either, so its in their best interest to smooth things over the best they can.

if i remember correctly from a post he made in the other thread he's no longer on Intel's blacklist. either way i'd rather read reviews from some one that's going to speak the truth about a product even if it's going to get them blacklisted..

I find it funny people using "out of respect for other reviewers". Did these same "other reviewers" rush to help get Kyle a card so he could release a review the same time the NDA expires? Doubt it.

You sleep in the bed you make. As long as the review is honest and accurate, this is literally the only thing that matters at this point.

If the manufacturers haven't figured out which drummers beat we march to in the last 21 years they are never going too.

And by doing honest reviews and not just regurgitating ad copy or provided test results I have gotten us cut off from manufacturers before.

I rather doubt MSI will blacklist Kyle. They probably only asked Kyle to pull the review due to Nvidia throwing a fit and blaming them for Kyle getting the card. I would be surprised if MSI ever actually expected Kyle to pull the review. I'd imagine MSI is happy with how positive the review was and how much [H] liked their card.

I find it funny people using "out of respect for other reviewers". Did these same "other reviewers" rush to help get Kyle a card so he could release a review the same time the NDA expires? Doubt it.

You sleep in the bed you make. As long as the review is honest and accurate, this is literally the only thing that matters at this point.

Yep my point earlier about being selfish was about this. No there is no respect amoung youtubers or other reviewers there is only selfish behavior masked as respect, IE its just virtue signaling. Matter of fact is if any reviewer on youtube or elsewhere found out they had some magical trump card they would use it. That's how capitalism works. The difference is right now in this situation they don't in fact they have the opposite, they have a gag order and they are pissed that they are stuck in that situation. In this case kyles selfish endeavors lead him to source and release this early review. I think your point is the best one no reviewers were jumping to give kyle a free sample card so he could be respected, no screw that they were probably secretly hoping one of their competitors would die a slow painful death and there would be one less player to fight for clicks against. Afterall it goes both ways when the GPP scandal erupted a lot of reviewers looked like tools for not taking an early stand. People will fall in line with their own emotions and side with which ever site they want to.

I sure as hell don't remember anyone saying anything about how the NDA signers should have waited for those without having signed the NDA to get their cards and put out their reviews.

Fuck 'em. They didn't give a damn about people who hadn't signed an NDA then and I don't care about the NDA signers now.

Exactly.

The guys that signed the NDA sure as hell weren't loaning out their sample cards to the sites that didn't. I'm pretty sure that nobody at Gamers Nexus or Linus called Kyle and Brent and offered to let them use their 2080 to publish a review. Ya know, cause fairness.

It would be in their best interest to just see if he will sign the normal NDA and give him cards. They are not going to win the war so maybe they can compromise.

Thanks Trimlock and Derangel for putting my mind at ease, that does seem plausable and I hope that is the case. (y)

Hardware Unboxed did a 20 game benchmark and is seeing an average of 7% performance increase over a GTX1080. At around $600 it doesn't seem like a good performer to me for the money.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
If the manufacturers haven't figured out which drummers beat we march to in the last 21 years they are never going too.

And by doing honest reviews and not just regurgitating ad copy or provided test results I have gotten us cut off from manufacturers before.

Isn't that why we keep coming back? I know that of the sites I used to go to 21 years ago, that's the only one I still frequent. The others either disappeared or are shady.

The review business isn't axtu
KARMA IS A BITCH NVIDIA

SUCK IT.
You do understand that [H] giving this card the Editors Choice award makes the review one big advertisement for Nvidia, yes?

End of the day, everyone's still thirsty for their GPUs. In light of that, all the bickering and hand wringing over NDAs and embargoes are almost academic.

Last edited:
Good job Kyle.

I can see I chose the right tech community to join.

I really like the way you do things.

Editors choice award? I simply don't get it.
The huge price increase and the slight performance increase doesn't sit well with me at all, especially when looking at used cards pricing. I paid $200 for a used 1070 that is running perfectly fine, but I can't see myself paying $600 for a midrange card and a 200% difference in price.
Apparently a lot of other reviews only has the 2070 about 7% faster than 1080 on average.

The huge price increase and the slight performance increase doesn't sit well with me at all, especially when looking at used cards pricing. I paid $200 for a used 1070 that is running perfectly fine, but I can't see myself paying $600 for a midrange card and a 200% difference in price.
Apparently a lot of other reviews only has the 2070 about 7% faster than 1080 on average.
Yeah, you don't get it. Verified.

Did you read the bottom line in the review?

He directly addresses the price. The award is based on the performance of the product, not the price. He straight up says if you want to play 1440p go for the 1080. If you want the best performing 2070, pay the premium.

Did you read the bottom line in the review?

He directly addresses the price. The award is based on the performance of the product, not the price. He straight up says if you want to play 1440p go for the 1080. If you want the best performing 2070, pay the premium.
Reading is hard. Or. Reading is [H]ard. Pick one.

The vega64 I bought based on a review here gave it the silver award. At the time vega prices were through the roof. Seems consistent to me.

The vega64 I bought based on a review here gave it the silver award. At the time vega prices were through the roof. Seems consistent to me.

Reading is mission critical, mission failed we'll get them next time.

In light of that, all the bickering and hand wringing over NDAs and embargoes are almost academic.

Not entirely. Obviously the current rift between [H] and NVidia stems from GPP and [H] actually won that round. NVidia's current NDA has lumped reviews and general reporting of NVidia into a package that seems aimed at reviewers and keeping them quiet about NVidia's business practices in general if they want review access.

Kyle,

Good review, too bad others are so far down in the sand to see that you are actually trying to help them fight the proverbial Goliath.

Don't mess with Texas NVidia :D

5fingers.gif

tank.jpg

I'll echo and expand on my Twitter comments.

I for one see the [H] choice to eschew free samples to avoid the nda as the right choice if for no other reason than it does remove arbitrary and artificial limits on the reviewers. In the wake of the Intel issues with PT I think this will become the norm going forward for those that an afford to do so.

Also to those who think Kyle cares about the naysayers, you must be new here. However brief my time on staff was it was made clear over and over that they seek accuracy of results over the feelings of anyone and everyone, even when reviewing the product of a sponsor this was key, and that he would back us up tooth and nail as long as we could back up our results and conclusions based there on.

Except I do get it. The card can be priced ridiculously, but if the performance is better than previous generation it deserves that Editors Choice Award, ok got it!
Now you didn't do a full review of the 2080, but I'm guessing that would also get your stamp of approval too?
Everybody else gave them shit for not only the price but the mostly disappointing increase from previous Pascal generation as well, but for some reason it gets the stamp of approval here.
Only card I fine somewhat exciting is the 2080ti and that's because of the actual performance jump over previous generation.

You should read the review again, the reasoning is right in the conclusion.

This is why you don't get it. You're comparing a used previous generation card with a new release.
I also bought two 1070 at release for $380 each in the summer of 2016 and still find the 2070 ridiculously priced when considering the performance. Will DLSS be significant? Can't say, but you are gonna have to install GeForce Experience for that.

Back