Workstations Lose Connection To Server

rosco

Gawd
We are having several workstations that are momentarily losing connection to our Windows Server 2008 machine that hosts their Documents etc.

It seems like a momentary disconnection and not everyone has complained although I'm guessing that unless you are trying to locate a file etc at that moment you might not notice.

Here is the error message I see in the event logs on the server:
Source: srv
EventID: 2012
Level: Warning
While transmitting or receiving data, the server encountered a network error. Occassional errors are expected, but large amounts of these indicate a possible error in your network configuration. The error status code is contained within the returned data (formatted as Words) and may point you towards the problem.

Binary data:
In Words

0000: 00040000 002C0001 00000000 800007DC
0008: 00000000 C0000184 00000000 00000000
0010: 00000000 00000000 00000587

So, where would you guys start with something like this? Either my HP Procurve 1800-24G doesn't have much in the way of error logs, or I don't know where to look.

Would you start with changing port on the switch, changing network cable or do you think it's more likely to be something on the server itself?

one thing I always like to turn off is power save mode for NIC's(depending on the model). I've seen it cause weirdness in the past.

have you confirmed that the ports they are connected to are set for the proper speed duplex? auto negotiate as opposed to 100/1000 full, etc? do the cable runs terminate to a patch panel, if so have you tried re-terminating them?

First, (if you haven't) upgrade the NIC drivers and firmware on the server. If that doesn't work, disable all of the TCP offload features. TCP Offload, RSS, and large send offload. That should fix it.

What type of NIC is it, out of curiosity?

The computers have been in place and working properly for over a year up until about a month ago. So, I don't tend to think it's something with the nic setting on the workstation or the port they are connected to being configured properly. They are all set to auto negotiate.

The NIC in the server is a Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II GigE
I can try updating the drivers for that.

how many network cards are installed, and how many users connecting for files?

It could be an overload (Not likely, but just an idea)

Are all of the workstations losing connectivity simultaneously?

Gotcha. Yeah, I've seen this several times on Dell boxes with Broadcom NICs. Most of the time getting the latest driver will fix it. If that doesn't, usually disabling all of the offloading does. You can disable all of that in the Broadcom suite.

Back