Workstation redo worklog, (2 weeks worth)

mobiux

2[H]4U
Here's my latest project, up til last night anyway.
Painting, and building a new desk.

Old office
1start1.JPG

1start2.JPG

Building materials.

4mdf.JPG

Starting construction.

5rail.JPG

5support1.JPG

5support2.JPG

5support3.JPG

Starting the top...

6top1.JPG

6cuttop1.JPG

Finished top...

7finishedtop1.JPG

7finishedtop2.JPG

Primed for painting

9doneprime1.JPG

9doneprime2.JPG

Will be painting the top and underneath tonight.

Putting in the network area and side boards while the paint is setting up.

I'm most impressed with the window fan mod -

nice work overall - keep us posted

How smooth of a finish did you get with the primer and paint? Is it still rough like sandpaper?

SarverSystems said:
How smooth of a finish did you get with the primer and paint? Is it still rough like sandpaper?

The primer was pretty smooth.
There were a few specs of dust that i found. But i'm not too picky so I just cleaned it up the best I could. No sanding or anything.

The mdf takes the paint like a dream. even coverage with 2 coats.
I would recommend a foam roller if you are going to use a roller. For part of one of the first coats I used a normal wall type roller, with thick matting, and it left small bubbles.
It was fine when I used the foam roller on the second coat.

Updated painting pics.

I didn't get the supports painted because the humidity was a little high so the coats took a while to dry. Still somewhat tacky this morning.

Although, oil based paint is probably a large reason for that.

Here's the paint...

hammered.JPG

Here's after the final coat...

paint2.JPG

paint1.JPG

Nice paint job bro. I am looking to do something similar to my garage sometime this week. Looking forward to the outcome of this.

Couple more updates,
Was gone this weekend so didn't get alot done, but I worked for a little while last night.

Painted the underlying supports and got one computer setup.

almost1.JPG

almost2.JPG

My printer stand...
Built this in a couple hours last night.
Going to paint it tonight and have it in place by the weekend (hopefully)

printerstnd.JPG

.................. *DROOLS* if only I ahd the equip/skills/money....great stuff man...

Where do the wires go for the monitor's and such? Looks like there is no space between the desk and the wall...

aZn_plyR said:
.................. *DROOLS* if only I ahd the equip/skills/money....great stuff man...

It's not too bad on any of those things.

Money was probably $225 total including paint and paint supplies.

Equipment was pretty easy. The pics show alot of tools, but I could have gotten by with a $20 jigsaw and $10 in blades. All the rest of that just makes things easier.

The router I had to borrow to finish the edges. But in my area you can rent them for $20 a day. And a set of basic bits is like $6.

As far as skill goes, I am in no way, shape or form a carpenter. I did this because I was sick of my office not looking decent. And I planned it out for months, almost planned it to death really. Too much thinking, too little action.

The hardest part for me was just getting going. Once I did, things came together pretty well.

I would suggest giving it a try, more than likely you'll impress yourself with the results.

wow!!! thats exactly what i did a few years back! mbf is great stuff and youve done a great job designing and cuttting your desk.

cudos! looks awsome

Borgschulze said:
Where do the wires go for the monitor's and such? Looks like there is no space between the desk and the wall...

I cut a bunch of holes with a hole saw and routed the edges.

You can see them best on the picture with just the primer.
Should have pics of the painted printer stand in the correct place tomorrow.

I'm having trouble getting the final finishing pieces of hardboard to fit in my car.
Taking a saw to the lumber yard tomorrow and should have everything done this weekend.

Here's the pics of the finalized project.
Finished late last night.

My side (no flash)

jd.JPG

(w/ flash)

jl.JPG

Wife's side (no flash)

s1d.JPG

Wife's (flash)

s1l.JPG

Network

network.JPG

Network w/ door shut (tinted plexi)

plexidoor.JPG

Network with door shut (no flash)

doorshut.JPG

That first "finished" pic is awesome. the lights on the "The Game" poster make it look like a billboard you'd see on the top of a building.

Nice job!

fantastic project - i cant wait to buy the house i am in, then i can d things like this!

Obviously, you have made a big improvement from old & boring workstation into awsome workstation - this new workstation is really impressive outcome especially lighting effect

;)

That must make you enjoy your time up there so much more!
GREAT WORK! ;)

When I saw that first finished pic my jaw dropped to the floor :eek: . I am really surprised at how much lighting plays a unique role in your setup. Light enough to work in, dark enough to game in, simply brilliant. :D

JonnyB said:
When I saw that first finished pic my jaw dropped to the floor :eek: . I am really surprised at how much lighting plays a unique role in your setup. Light enough to work in, dark enough to game in, simply brilliant. :D

That's what I was trying to get to.

Actually, in the entire remodel process, the single most expensive item purchased was the lighting. But it was worth it.
Low voltage halogens just rock.
I would have likes to put in actual track lighting around the top of the room, but time and my not wanting to crawl into my attic played a big part of not doing that.

mobiux said:
Here's the pics of the finalized project.
Finished late last night.

My side (no flash)

jd.JPG
Where did you buy the lights, that's trick. I got a picture that would look awesome with that effect.

very nice setup you've got there. my only suggestion would be to paint the window frame to match, but I'm sure you're already thinkin about that since it's pretty obvious.

Yeah, the white windows frames bite, but i'm a little afraid of screwing that up. So i tried hiding it the best I could.

I got the lighting at Home Depot. I think the single halogen's were $20, and the 3 light bar was $40. Bulbs included.

Back