workstation 771 mobo for dual quadcore xeon

drunknbass

Limp Gawd
are there any good workstation mobos out yet? or maybe coming out soon.. i read that pretty soon there will be alot more that wont require fbdimm memory

Would be nice but I'm not aware on any new generation Xeon platforms that do not require FBDIMMS. I'll be on one of they do come out with one though.

Nah, your stuck with the 5000 series chipset which all require FB-Dimms. I'm still contemplating what board to go with as well, since I want to run crossfire on it. Torn between the Tyan 5000p and 5000x boards which have two full length 16x PCIe slots that run at 8x each. A lot of the boards have two full length 16x slots but the second only runs at 4x. That's the last piece I need for crossfire V8 though. FB-Dimms have gotten pretty cheap, around a 100 a gig, you buy 4 and your set for quad channel.

i read something about nvidia licensing intel something and pretty soon there would be alot of workstation mobos for dual socket 771 that are designed more for gaming and home use than server. and would not require fbdimm.
and these would be coming sometime around or after the july price drop. i wish i could find the article.

I believe you're thinking about Intel's upcoming Skulltrail motherboard. It's supposed to sport dual and be targeted at enthusiasts. I also read articles about the board sporting 4 PCI-Express 16 slots for graphics. One article mentioned that it would also have DirectX 10 support, too. So it may also have integrated graphics as well. Unfortunately, Intel has been mum about the sockets it will use as well as memory support. I hope its LGA 775. With the price cuts in July and September, an affordable dual quad core may be a real possibility.

Just buy a regular workstation 5000x board. Mac Pro board is crippled with only 4 expansion slots and very poor cooling for the memory.

It's almost worth getting a Mac Pro for the twin 3.73GHz clovertowns and selling the rest of the guts, heh. ;p

I'm pretty sure the 5365s are the fastest they have at 3.0, unless your thinking of the Dempsey 5080, but as far as I know, no Mac Pros ever shipped with a Dempsey.

Either way, no one else has the 5365s available for sale.

Back