Worklog: Rack mounted modem and 802.11g router

nomar

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm sick of my cable modem and router dangling by their cables in my rack closet and I'm sick of them being the only thing that is not rackmounted so that is about to change.

I have a 2u enclosure that had an old Intel PII mobo in it that I didn't need. It also has some wacky configuration with the I/O plate on the left side of the case and fans all around so it wouldn't fit with any other mobo I have.

My equipment:
- Compex NetPassage 26G 802.11g router with print server. I have my printer mounted on a shelf in the rack so this works perfectly for network printing.
- Toshiba cable modem (property of Road Runner)

At first I wanted to take the internals of the Toshiba modem out to mount it but it had an aluminum shield around it that would have made it really tough to mount (and not damage) so I decided to just mount it in the plastic case.

The plan:
Cut out the front of the case to allow the 2 devices to stick through. Cut a faceplate to fit all of the necessary holes and mount everything internally. The case doesn't have a top so I"ll have to make one also. I will put an APC surge protector inside the case so the 2 power units can be internal also. I will also mount 2 80mm fans on the right side which will exhaust to the left and rear.

Here is what I am working with:

router1.jpg

The Compex NP26G 802.11g router. I took it out of its casing and put it on standoffs.

case1.jpg

The case before I started.

case2.jpg

Yup, looks like they will fit.

.... a few dremel cutoff wheels later... It works.
rackmount3.jpg

What's next:

Cut and mount the faceplate and top cover. I bought some sheet metal and cut it the exact size of the front. I need to cut the holes in the faceplate for the router and modem ports. I will cut a hole above each power plug and route the power cable through it (and seal it with a rubber grommet). I will mount status LEDs above each port.

Questions for everyone:
1) I'd like to route the LEDs to the front of the case. I don't want to de-solder the existing LEDs so can I just piggyback new ones off the existing ones?

2) Paint the face plate black or polish the bare metal? I'm thinking black.

3) How can I power 2 80mm fans? Maybe another transformer block?

you know what would look realy good, actualy fitting ethernet ports onto the front of the rack cage. Using like a 2in cat5 from the router to the inside of the case and then just female ports on the outside.

1. I am not sure if that will work or not, it will not hurt it to test it. I believe it will work but like I said I am not sure. It seems like it will just be like running the leds in parellel, if that is the case then they will not get enough power.

2. Paint it black, from the look of it the rest of your rack is black.

3. Another transformer block sounds like it will work to me. All you realy need for each fan is 5v min. You could always get some old atx powersuply and then wire it up to a switch that can power the fans and then some.

It is nice to see some projects in here besides your clasic case mods in here. Keep it up as I am dying to see the finished product.

JEEVES

I agree. My choice would have been to mount the cable modem front wise, have the cable and power come in through the old I/O hole, then just mount a cat5 outlet on the front and wire it to a rj45 connection inside to put a connection from the modem to the router. I would then mount a small psu, wire it up to a switch in the front, and have it drive your fans.

Hmmm I see where you're coming from. That's a good idea and I just might do that. thanks for the input guys. That would allow me to put plexi in the front where the cable modem is so I can see the activity lights if I want. The only problem would be if I needed to reboot the cable modem I wouldn't have access to the plug.

I'll think about it a bit more...

nomar said:
Hmmm I see where you're coming from. That's a good idea and I just might do that. thanks for the input guys. That would allow me to put plexi in the front where the cable modem is so I can see the activity lights if I want. The only problem would be if I needed to reboot the cable modem I wouldn't have access to the plug.

cut the cord and throw a switch in there and mount it in a place of your liking...voila :)

siege said:
cut the cord and throw a switch in there and mount it in a place of your liking...voila :)
The modem is owned by Road Runner so that wouldn't be a great idea.

nomar said:
The modem is owned by Road Runner so that wouldn't be a great idea.

bummer. put an electrical socket on the inside and leave the cord in the case connected to the socket. then put a switch on the socket and wire up your own cord. I think a switch would be a much cleaner solution than making it so you can pull the plug from the back of the modem. just my $0.02

siege said:
bummer. put an electrical socket on the inside and leave the cord in the case connected to the socket. then put a switch on the socket and wire up your own cord. I think a switch would be a much cleaner solution than making it so you can pull the plug from the back of the modem. just my $0.02

I agree that it would be cleaner - but I have to have the plug for the router sticking out the front anyway since that is the way it is configured. So if I have to have 1, why not 2.

I think with the plug going through a hole that is plugged with a grommet will look alright. And as much as I want this to look cool - it's mostly a functional mod because I'm sick of the mess that the router and modem make with wires all over hanging from my switch.

Another idea - I also have Vonage so I may try to fit the Vonage voice module in there too.

nomar said:
The only problem would be if I needed to reboot the cable modem I wouldn't have access to the plug.

Um, no offense, but if you have to reboot the modem, unplug the power cord from the power outlet :)

Or, go to ratshack, find the size of power plugs that fit the ac/dc adapter for your modem, one male, one female. Mount the female to the case, split the postive cord through a switch *I cant remember which one, I think sp/st, not sure, just a basic on off switch*, then wire the positive and negitive ends to their proper links on the male and plug that into the modem. Now you have a switched power lead going to the modem without cutting the ac/dc adapter from road runner.

Or just purchase a replacement power supply from a local store that matches the ac/dc's specs and use it :)

Back