Worklog: External Watercooling Enclosure

The box is still rocking 3+ years later. Just changed fluid and tubing again.. getting ready to plug in a X38 mobo with a Q6600 :)

Well 4 years later its still running great on my Q6600 at 3.6ghz at 1.55V cooling the CPU and chipset.

Whats does everyone think? Should I make a new external WC box again?

I'm getting my MBA at a great university so I'm quite busy but I love hardware.

I am unsure how I could improve upon my last design... except by designing its layout better.

Any ideas and I'll make a second external WC box. And I'll write it up here on [H] and on geekextreme.com my buddy Travis runs it.

To be honest, if you change the orientation and mounting of the parts, it almost seems you could fit three 3x120 rads in there. You'd need to have some high static pressure fans but I think it would be possible. If you REALLY wanna kick it up a notch, throw in a small AC for some chilled air action :D

Oh, and I'd definitely thrown on some quick disconnects for easy transport and switching between systems.

Make it smaller?

I originally inagined something as small as a laptop, so you could just "slide" it in behind someting!

5 years and its still kicking. Low temps on my q6600 at 3.6ghz :)

changed the tubing for the third time. everything runs flawless still and still is overpowered for a CPU + Chipset.

Another hardware upgrade?

I never find anything that taxes my 3.6ghz core 2 quad
and my 5850 runs everything great.

Maybe next year this time to a Bulldozer setup.

Update: Going to redo the entire setup. Complete teardown and cleaning.

Going to get rid of the acrylic.

The metal base will stay and go upright. I'll use my carpentry skills to make a wooden base/support for it.

Going to mount the PSU (new one) on the back of it as well as mount the fans on the back. The front will very neatly display the radiator, res and pump.

hopefully do it this winter when i'm rdy to upgrade to ivybridge, or SB-E. unless piledriver shows up ready to compete.

Back