Working on a logo for my dad. Need some suggestions and opinions.

Ice Czar said:
there are also some legal requirements that you will need to address either in the logo itself or as its applied, those include the full legal name
so im not sure uf you want to play with Inc\corporation\corp ect in that mark or not
if you elect not to, then on the stationary the full name must appear seperately ;)

Hmm, where should I put it then.

I often dont include the full legal name in a mark
but its something to be aware of, and will need to be addressed where required by law
which is basically on the stationary, possibly ads

and could be as simple as an "add on" inc below the mark
or restating the full legal name with the address on the stationary

this differs from say a brandname in that its the legal name of a corporation

Alright, I will deal with that later then.

Any ideas on the backdrop? Dad isn't feeling the map still.

well Id personally be looking at other typographic and conceptual directions
for a "fill" in that oval under some sizes and reproductions processes

dinosaur4.gif

Ice Czar said:
well Id personally be looking at other typographic and conceptual directions
for a "fill" in that oval under some sizes and reproductions processes

dinosaur4.gif

:confused:

it could be reproduced as a duotone
so 2 colors minimum down to say 1.5 inch
typography overprinting or reversed

Its suppose to be on a boat. I can only use black for those types of things. Needs to be really simple.

guess that why you had 2 colors in the first post? :p

why dont you post the design parameters?
reproduction constraints ect.

if its actally a straight solid B&W only
then your map screen needs to go as well
or you look at adaptations of the mark for different processes

its certainly possible to apply 2 colors to a boat
or reproduce that with anything from enamels to silkscreen
you could even posterize\line convert it (or something similar)
but you know the parameters and we dont

It sounds like your dad should hire someone.

Oceanic Boats.... but its one fucking boat. He doesnt want a BOAT in it unless it looks like the only boat in the "fleet".... not sure about the map....

What the hell does he want? Water? It's not all that simple to symbolize water in a monotone logo. If he's gonna be that picky and expect a full on professional job, he better break out the check book and hire a pro.

Ah thank you Xeno, that is what I meant by the Mercator map, I just didn't have time to make it work. I like it.

I suck at drawing, but this may work also. The post I made with the wave sucks, simply because I used a cut-out filter, and it should have working in black and white. I think if you have a wave breaking above the oceanic text it would look cool. Kinda like the old Quicksilver logo. Anyways, just my two cents.

I know it's been said before, but unless we want to keep with the trial and error method, which I think is starting to piss off people, we need some basic constraints. Or your dad needs to hire someone.

Hmmm maybe we are working background on this instead of trying to force a idea on him why dont you just ask him what kind of logos he likes. That might help you tremendously

I don't think you read the whole thread, if you're talking about his Dad..his Dad's being unhelpful and shoves any idea he gives him.So he kinda doesn't know what to do.

No i read the thread, the first thing you do for difficult customers who dont know what they want is find out what they like. That usually lays down the beginning steps to a logo he would approve of.

cr3do said:
No i read the thread, the first thing you do for difficult customers who dont know what they want is find out what they like. That usually lays down the beginning steps to a logo he would approve of.
True, good point.

Probably not to be taken seriously.. its my first shot in a beautiful program I just ran for the first time: illustrator

oceana.gif

oceana2.gif

Im in a rush because I have tons of homewrok but he said he wants the number 26 inside there somewhere as well. It also needs to be simple. Keep them coming and I will check out what he thinks of the latest submissions tommorow. I got an exam tommorow so cant today. Thanks everyone.

Just did this. I dunno about it though. What you guys think?

logo6.jpg

EDIT:
Some more things. The standard color is yellow so I put that as background to see how it would work on boat.

logo7.jpg

logo8.jpg

logo9.jpg

TheCoolGuy said:
Just did this. I dunno about it though. What you guys think?

logo6.jpg

EDIT:
Some more things. The standard color is yellow so I put that as background to see how it would work on boat.
I dont like any of the yellow ones...the color just seems out of place to me. The first one looks the best I'd say. Do you know what the 26 stands for? Tell us so we can get a better idea of how to incorporate it.

Woah, sorry I didn't mention it. 26 is the size of the boat. My dad seems to like it alot, the last ones I made but I am not sure if he is sold on it yet.

I dont know, I was just tring something simple, but not too simple, wanted to add a little complexity to it, so tell me what you think:

oceanic.jpg

s'alright lesman, but i dont think the beveled text is gonna fly when it comes to print time

shocksyde said:
s'alright lesman, but i dont think the beveled text is gonna fly when it comes to print time
Yeah, true.... :( I thought about that before I did it, but I just decided to do it anyway! If you think about it though, it will use that tiny bit less ink, as it gradients and fades away at the beveled edges....rather than using the full amount of ink the whole way through....I guess....dunno, just trying to make my design seem logical! :p

Alright, here is the final one.

Without color:

finallogo.jpg

With color:

finallogo2.jpg

Thank you all for your help. No more submissions. Only comments on the logo to help or compliment.

legibility

the 26 is competing with the name and destroying legibility
as a 100% Black and 100% White logo its not working
it needs to be seriously screened back

its one thing to work on logos at that resolution
but you design logos at about one inch
even signage thats going to be on a boat, most of the time it will be viewed at a distance

finallogo0.jpg

finallogo01.jpg

finallogo02.jpg

.as a 100%\100%B&W
Oceanic would need a "container" to seperate it from the large 26 yet retain legibility
the 26 is possibly large enough to still "read" with a container in front of it,
but you might want to look for a typeface with a shorter cap height to increase that

you said it's only one boat right? so why does it say "oceanic boats"?

also i agree about the 26 competing for attention

Id also recommend you look at increasing the letter spacing \ tracking

while Oceanic could be opened up a bit (experiment it could be good as is)
where you really need it is on boats
thats too tight for good legibility, if it was a wider tracking youd be able to read it further away
consider the great difference in sizes between the two words, yet ideally you want to read both of them shortly after your able to read the first (approaching from a distance)

Back