Workgrouped PC not accessible Error

>GSXR<mrbusa

Weaksauce
I am running a simple two PC workgroup. One wired and one wireless.
My router is a D-link DGL4300. Wifi card for my storage server is a D-link WDA-2320. My NIC card in my gaming rig is an Intel Pro gigabit 10/100/1000.
I would think that it was a hardware issue but it all worked up until recently. Both PC's have perfect working internet access. I have recreated my workgroup with different names a few times with no success of fixing the problem. The weird thing is I can see the workgrouped computers from both machines. I can also see, open, and transfer files from the wired PC to the wireless PC with no problems and at full speed. I can add shared folders to the wireless PC and they are immediately seen by the wired PC. The actual icon for the wired PC is visible by the wireless PC but if I try to open it I get these two errors which I have included screenies of. I do not know if it is a specif service that is causing the errors or what. Both PC's have the same service configuration that I had when my network was working on both systems. I am getting no errors while recreating the workgroup or adding shared folders or drivers on either system.

f9b9b58a.jpg

70869cbd.jpg

Likely a resolution problem. The icons are still there because they're cached.

Try to get to the remote computer via IP instead of name and use UNC instead of network places.

Start, run, then type the remote computers IP in a path with this syntax

\\192.168.1.5

substituting the correct IP for your needs of course. Post back with any error messages.

Do you have the same user accounts on each PC? or is the guest account enabled ?

Do you have a folder shared on the Gamer machine?

Perhaps trying this adjusted version from Start --> Run:
\\192.168.1.5\C$
(ie: \\ GamerMachineIPAddress \ DriveLetter+DollarSign)

I can ping the Gamer rig from the Server rig with no problems.
The workgroup and individual workgrouped PC's are seen in network places on the Server rig but the shared folders of any other system are not.
Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I didn't have email notification of subscribed threads enabled like I thought I dd.

Hey ktwebb,
I receive the same error as if I were trying to access the workgroup from from network places.

The icons aren't cached because I have recreated the workgroup several times on both systems and deleted any shared folder icons prior to doing so.
Thx

Hey dbwillis,
I am the admin on both PC's. Guest accounts are not enabled on either PC.

Hey PTNL,
Yes, I do have a few folders being shared on the gamer system. I have added my parents PC to the workgroup to see if the problem occurred with that system also and I had no problems connecting to the Gamer rig with that PC.
When I try to connect with your method i receive an error that states " no network provider accepted the network path".

Make sure:
1. The passwords are the same on both accounts. If you don't have the same password, try mounting the share and try connecting as a user on the machine you're connecting to.
2. You have both share level permission and actually permission at the directory / file level to see the files.

Make sure:
1. The passwords are the same on both accounts. If you don't have the same password, try mounting the share and try connecting as a user on the machine you're connecting to.
2. You have both share level permission and actually permission at the directory / file level to see the files.

None of the PC's in question are password protected.
File sharing is enabled on all systems.
I have secured and recreated many shares on all three systems.
The only PC that can't access any shared drives or folders is my server. It does however see the workgroup and workgrouped PC's and can open its own shares. I can transfer files either to or from the server on each of the two other systems now on the network as long as they are acting as the server.
I can ping all the systems and router and modem from every PC on the network.

I had a brain-dead moment a few weeks ago after trying to setup a DC on my home network, I never flushed DNS cache and arp tables; therefore, none of my networked PCs were able to hit one another.

Easiest way to handle through Windows is by going to Network Connections and repairing your LAN connection.

I have repaired the connections and still no dice.
I have no clue how to manually configure this workgroup other than running the wizard.
Both operating systems are have the same configuration with the same updates and seem to work perfect with no errors report other than the errors I receive when trying to connect to the workgroup with the server acting as the server. If I wasn't able to connect to the gamer rig via my parents laptop then I would think it was an issue with my gamer rig.

You definately need to share any folder on the both computers so you can access them. Your file sharing is diable, make sure firewall allowing file sharing also.
Disable any password access also.

You definately need to share any folder on the both computers so you can access them. Your file sharing is diable, make sure firewall allowing file sharing also.
Disable any password access also.

I am sharing allot of various files and folders on both sytems and sometimes a third and fourth system.
File sharing is not disabled on any of the systems that have access to the workgroup.
My firewall is configured to share files and printers. This problem occurs even if the firewall is disabled or even if the actual firewall service is disabled.
There are no accounts or files or drives password protected as stated earlier in this thread.

I am now running both systems in question with wired gigabit adapters of the same make and model. The problem still persists in driving me nuts.
Man gigabit is fast!

Try adding a password to each of the accounts. IIRC the local machine security settings requires a few changes to be made to allow accounts with non-passwords to function as intended. The simplest way around this was to setup one account on each machine that had a password, and use that account as having rights to the shared files/folders, and also to be used for authentication.

Give that a shot, and post your results. Just be sure to setup the same username/password account on each machine, and use that particular account when trying to access the share.

Try adding a password to each of the accounts. IIRC the local machine security settings requires a few changes to be made to allow accounts with non-passwords to function as intended. The simplest way around this was to setup one account on each machine that had a password, and use that account as having rights to the shared files/folders, and also to be used for authentication.

Give that a shot, and post your results. Just be sure to setup the same username/password account on each machine, and use that particular account when trying to access the share.

This problem originally occurred with a passworded administrative account on both systems with the same password. I removed the passwords because some people on some other forums said that might be the problem. I have since tried all variations of accounts and shares that are available on XP home a few different times. The only way I can get file sharing to work on the two systems in question is to use the system labeled Gamer as the server. Any other system can be added to the workgroup and share with both systems as they should. The account names can be different, with or without a password, wired or wireless, and still out of the three systems of friends and family that I added I had not one problem.

Back