workgroup network between two pc's with different OS's

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by sram, Sep 15, 2008.

1. sram

sram [H]ard|Gawd

Can you please walk me through how to set up a network between two pc's. One pc is runnng vista and the other is running XP. The vista pc is connected directly to my wireless router. The xp pc connects to the network through WiFi.

I remember in xp you just run the network setup wizard in the two computers you want to network and it that should be it. (Assuming the two pcs have xp)

Now, what do I do to make a network between vista and xp? I want to share the printer connected to vista computer.

Thaaaaaaaaaaaanks.

2. sram

sram [H]ard|Gawd

The reason I want the network is to share the printer. Now, I've gotten to the point where you look for a network printer and find the printer connected to your other pc. It requests a driver for this stage, and my question is which driver is this???? The pc that is the printer is directly connected to runs Vista64 and the other pc runs xp32.............what driver is widows looking for? another driver specified for network configuration?

Thanks.

3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat [H]ardForum Junkie

One of several methods...
    Install the proper print driver for the XP machine locally...
    Then redirect the port to \\nameofvistarig\printersharename

4. sram

sram [H]ard|Gawd

Several??? can you please list other methods? And how do i do this port redirecting?

I'm not a genius, but I ain't stupid also. I have done this before many times, and I don't exactly know why i'm not able to do it now! I think it is because two different OS's are involved.

It should be striaght forward. You go add a network printer, it will be detected automatically and then installed. This last part won't happen because I don't know what driver windows xp is looking for... There are four drivers I think for this printer and it should one of them. I tried them all knowing that some shouldn't work but I did it.

winxp32
    winxp64
    vista32
    vista64

Those were the drivers I tried. There must be something simple I'm missing. I'll add screen shots to help you understand my problem

Please bear with me.

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks.

5. sram

sram [H]ard|Gawd

This is where I stop:

[​IMG]

what driver should I use???????????? I don't know, but I kinda of remember a specified driver for network is what I used in the past.

Please help if you can(Before I pull all my hair out)

6. Javelin3o4

Javelin3o4 Gawd

Install the printer on the XP machine, then open the printers properties. Select the ports tab. Now click on the new port button. and Select TCP/IP port. In the box type in the name of the computer and shard name of the printer i.e \\computername\sharedprintername