Work log: Turning an unfinished basement into an entertainment room.

agrikk

Gawd
(Since this is a worklog and while not a casemod, it's a "room mod" so I hope moderators will cut me some latitude. :D )

I recently converted our unfinished basement into an entertainment room. I did all of the work except for the taping and spackling the drywall since I can't get my mud-work even. It took me FOR-EV-ER, but was way cheaper than having electricians and general contractors and painters come in to do it.

Here's what my area looked like originally:

IMG_0343.JPG

An older pic:

lanparty_left.jpg

Sizing up my new work area to see if three monitors would actually fit in the corner:

IMG_0344.JPG

The area in the crawlspace where my cabinet will be going:

IMG_0345.JPG

I can't find the picures of the process here, but here's my gear:

IMG_0927.JPG

Dell PowerConnect 5324 Switch
Sonicwall Pro 230 Firewall
Domain Controller (Supermicro Atom D525)
Dell LTO-3 Tape drive
Extra Gaming Rig (Athlon X2 5000+ 8GB RAM 2x500gb RAID-0, GTX275)
Storage Server (Athlon X4 640, 8GB RAM, 6x 1TB RAID-5, 2x500gb RAID-1)
APC SmartUPS-1000
APC SmartUPS-1000

Side shot:

IMG_0928.JPG

Back Shot (Rat's nest. Meh):

IMG_0931.JPG

Front with dust cover:

IMG_0805.JPG

Oblique:

IMG_0803.JPG

Rear with dust cover:

IMG_0805a.JPG

Patch Panel (not fully cabled) and dedicated circuit:

IMG_0929.JPG

Manland getting framed:

IMG_0808.JPG

The ground elevation:

IMG_0806.JPG

More framing:

IMG_0807.JPG

Knob and tube wiring. Hell yeah!
(The reason for the new dedicated circuit)

IMG_0809.JPG

Wiring the room for cat-5 and electrical:

IMG_0820.JPG

IMG_0822.JPG

IMG_0810.JPG

IMG_0811.JPG

Cat-5, power and coax cable:

IMG_0812.JPG

Insulation going in:

IMG_0815.JPG

IMG_0816.JPG

IMG_0817.JPG

IMG_0818.JPG

Moving the heater register.

There was a three way register here, blowing down from the ceiling and up into a bathroom and into a bedroom. I decided to split it up with a wye further up the duct so that sound wouldn't travel up the duct and into the bathroom and bedroom. This way sound will travel through the new register in the wall, back up the duct towards the heater and then back down another duct to the bathroom and bedroom.

IMG_0827.JPG

IMG_0828.JPG

IMG_0829.JPG

Drywall going up

IMG_0823.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0824.JPG

IMG_0826.JPG

IMG_0835.JPG

Insulation and finishing the walls and ceiling:

IMG_0832.JPG

IMG_0836.JPG

Dense, sound dampening insulation (made from recycled jeans!):

IMG_0833.JPG

All taped and spackled:

IMG_0842.JPG

IMG_0844.JPG

IMG_0843.JPG

IMG_0846.JPG

New painted man-corner:

IMG_0848.JPG

Painting:

IMG_0849.JPG

IMG_0850.JPG

IMG_0851.JPG

DONE!

IMG_0924.JPG

IMG_0925.JPG

IMG_0935.JPG

Last edited:
Two months, working evenings and weekends.

But I saved close to five thousand dollars that way and it was a very satisfying experience...

you did a great job! it looks great.

one question. was the track light over the desk an afterthought?

It was there from before and I didn't think about putting in recessed lighting until after I was wrapping things up and by then I couldn't be bothered... :)

I tell myself it was because I would have had to get the ceiling refinished after putting in the light cans and not because I got lazy...

I like it. In a few years I'm going to do the same for our basement (except that it's about 1600 sq ft that will be finished), with almost exactly the same strategy: do the framing/electrical/plumbing myself, hire out the drywall and painting. You're lucky to live in a place that doesn't require metal conduit in residential applications...

A couple questions:
1) How many square feet did you end up finishing? What was the total cost?
2) Did you get a permit? I'm guessing not if you left the knob & tube in place, but that's just a guess.

I like it. In a few years I'm going to do the same for our basement (except that it's about 1600 sq ft that will be finished), with almost exactly the same strategy: do the framing/electrical/plumbing myself, hire out the drywall and painting. You're lucky to live in a place that doesn't require metal conduit in residential applications...

A couple questions:
1) How many square feet did you end up finishing? What was the total cost?
2) Did you get a permit? I'm guessing not if you left the knob & tube in place, but that's just a guess.

It's now a 12' x 20' space with 8' ceilings. We lost about 4" on each wall due to the framing and drywall. We could have done it differently by laying the 2x4's flat against the wall, but that would have made the insulation and wiring harder, so I took the space hit. Total cost for everything (framing materials, electrical, insulation, sound damping insulation for the ceiling, 2-ply ceiling sheet rock, materials and labor on the drywall, paint carpet and labor on the carpet was roughly $5700.

Permit? Permit? What's that? :D

No. No permit, because the house was built in 1928 and it would have meant repairing a lot of other things down there to get it up to code. As it was when we first moved in I had an electrician run two new circuits and an upgraded panel to the area so the power to the outlets and to my gear cabinet is as clean as it gets. The ceiling lights however...

Since we don't plan on using it as a bedroom, it'll be just "additional living space" if we ever decide to sell.

Looks *GREAT*!

Just curious, how much did this end up costing you? Looking at doing this to a similar sized area, and I can do the work myself.

Looks *GREAT*!

Just curious, how much did this end up costing you? Looking at doing this to a similar sized area, and I can do the work myself.

Hrm...

Total cost for everything (framing materials, electrical, insulation, sound damping insulation for the ceiling, 2-ply ceiling sheet rock, materials and labor on the drywall, paint carpet and labor on the carpet was roughly $5700.

:)

hehe good job,

something similar is in the work for me :)

the 60'' just got embedded in the wall

Awesome man! Looks great!

How much experience did you have with this sort of thing beforehand?

Awesome! /me goes back to trying to arrange all his networking equipment on one shelf... :(

Wow it is indeed a very nice mod, I hope your proud, Because it looks well done.

Fellow Lefty guitarist?!?!?

The left way is the only way. Lots of people see pictures of me playing and think I've reversed the picture but the print on my t-shirt or the banner behind me is correct. ;)

How much experience did you have with this sort of thing beforehand?

I'm an IT guy by trade, but I like to play around with rough carpentry as you might be able to tell from my home-made wood 19" gear cabinet and my home-made desk. The book section at Home Depot and I have become well acquainted over the years, too. Amazing what you can glean from a book with glossy pictures...

Wow it is indeed a very nice mod, I hope your proud, Because it looks well done.

I am very proud. It came out really really well and the wife even comes down to visit now and again instead of pretending the basement didn't exist. Of course that's a good thing and a bad thing. :D :D

The left way is the only way. Lots of people see pictures of me playing and think I've reversed the picture but the print on my t-shirt or the banner behind me is correct. ;)

I'm an IT guy by trade, but I like to play around with rough carpentry as you might be able to tell from my home-made wood 19" gear cabinet and my home-made desk. The book section at Home Depot and I have become well acquainted over the years, too. Amazing what you can glean from a book with glossy pictures...

I am very proud. It came out really really well and the wife even comes down to visit now and again instead of pretending the basement didn't exist. Of course that's a good thing and a bad thing. :D :D

Lol :D

Well done indeed.

Awesome basement! No problems with ground water? Living high and dry?

I resolved that issue a few years back by trenching and installing french drains around the place and redirecting downspout water into the gutter in front instead of letting it pool. Dry as a bone for years since.

Congratulations, man! You did a wonderful job. I wish I had a tenth of your motivation and skills ... maybe then my room would look a lot cleaner :p

Basements are cool, wish I had one. They are a rarity in Texas. All I have is a cracked slab floating on a pool of clay that moves around whenever it rains. :(

Basements are cool, wish I had one. They are a rarity in Texas. All I have is a cracked slab floating on a pool of clay that moves around whenever it rains. :(

Ditto :( Although mine isn't moving too much ... yet ...

My parents solved the water issue in their basement (Denver) with a sump pump.

Great job OP, looks fantastic! The shelving along the wall is a great idea.

Thank you.

We'd considered a sump for our water issues, but decided to go the french drain route because we wanted to use the space and having moisture near electronics kinda blows.

Last edited:
Back