Work involved switching from Rampage V Extreme to Rampage V Edition 10?

yenniedn

2[H]4U
Hello [H]:

I've recently upgraded my system to the specs listed in my signature below (edit: previously was using an Asus Rampage V Extreme X99 board). Got upgraded to Windows 10 prior to the 7/29 deadline for the free upgrade and everything is running perfectly smoothly. I have the opportunity to pick up an Asus Rampage V Edition 10 motherboard at a decent price and do like the aesthetics of the Edition 10 board.

My question is: since they're both Asus X99 boards, are they similar enough that I can just swap my other components over to the Edition 10 board and maybe have to install/update a few drivers? Or are the boards different enough that I would have to re-install everything including Windows 10?

If the latter, it would be too much effort and not worth the hassle.

Anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
The free upgrade is tied to the original board from what I've read. So while Windows may handle the hardware change and still function, it will want a new key.

Thanks for replies, I meant to update this thread. Turns out, it was a piece of cake with the 1607 build on Windows 10. Once you update to 1607, you can sign in with your MS account and it associates the key/acct with the system. After I did that, I swapped out the Rampage V Extreme for the Rampage Edition 10 and reinstalled a few drivers for the new board. Windows activated on the new mobo without a hitch; couldn't have been any easier.

However, that's not to say that the overall swap was easy bexcuse I also took the opportunity to swap out the trusty but boring Corsair Air 540 case for a Phanteks Evolv Tempered Glass case that I've been eyeing for some time. Had done enough research to know that the RVE would barely fit in the Phanteks . . . but didn't realize that the REd.10 would not due to the extra backplate and rgb LED's along the right edge of the board.

Spent a couple of hours that night and stayed up until well past 1am moving everything over. Had to rig a few things just to get the EATX sized Edition 10 board to fit into the motherboard tray area. Got everything cleaned up and organized and then went to put in the last component only to realize that the graphicsame card would not fit. Thought maybe the 980ti I was using was too big so tried a 780ti and that didn't work either. Went down to even a gtx 580 and nothing fit. Turns out the case causes the right edge of the board to bend up just enough whereby the SATA ports would block the end of the GPU from getting inserted into the PCIe slot.

Had to give up and go to sleep thinking I'd have to pull everything out of the case and put back into the Air 540. Was NOT happy!

The next day, removed the rubber grommets from case and that barely allowed the GPU to get inserted just enough to work; it wasn't fully seated and locked into the PCIe slot but it worked. I didn't like that setup either because it seemed like the card could fall out if I ever nudged the case. Luckily, the gtx 1080 FTW I just got this week somehow seats fully into the slot and it's all good now.

So it was the Phanteks case that gave me the biggest headache during this swap; why the F they didn't make the motherboard area 8mm wider to fukky accommodate anot EATX board I'll never understand. Once that hurdle was cleared, the drivers and Windows activation were a piece of cake.

All that said, it was still worth the trouble because this phanteks case is so much nicer than the Air 540...will post some pics tomorrow.

I'm lost.. if after you signed on to MS on the old board you said it associates the key with that motherboard. Then you switched out the mb to the new one and you didn't have to do anything to Windows after that and it kept the key on the new board?

Did it just associate the win10 key now with the new board? Or is this going to be a prob the next time you need to reinstall win10 on the new board as it sees the mb is different?

I gota do the same thing soon when I swap out my asus hero VII x79 board to a hero VII alpha z170.

I'm lost.. if after you signed on to MS on the old board you said it associates the key with that motherboard. Then you switched out the mb to the new one and you didn't have to do anything to Windows after that and it kept the key on the new board?

Did it just associate the win10 key now with the new board? Or is this going to be a prob the next time you need to reinstall win10 on the new board as it sees the mb is different?

I gota do the same thing soon when I swap out my asus hero VII x79 board to a hero VII alpha z170.

I probably can't explain it any better than one of these two links so I'll just link you to them here:

Microsoft tweaks activation rules for the Windows 10 Anniversary Update | ZDNet

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...grade-my/30bdb5b9-300e-4162-8752-abacaf082754

Bottom line was that it was a piece of cake to do. It was the physical swapping of the hardware that was the headache for me as described above - but Windows 10 ( version 1607) gave me zero issues when I booted up with the new motherboard.

Back