Word is "slow" Office SB 2003 Help Please

Slade

2[H]4U
the users on the network I am the administrator for are showing a very peculiar issue. Anything related to "word" documents are slow.

This affects anything that interacts with them, Windows Explorer, Word, Outlook. The word docs vary in size from 5 kb to 1mb in some folders, but the delay is the same. It also doesn't care if the files are on a server or on the hard drive. If there's a word document, it's slow.

Examples.

I want to browse a folder with word documents, it pauses for a painful amount of time before displaying the folder. On subsequent returns to the same folder, it is not as slow per say, but not quick either. If explorer is closed then the new instance of explorer is reset to being slow for the initial browse.

I want to open a word document. It's hit or miss but it's definitly "slower" than normal.

I want to put an attachment into an outlook e-mail but when you attach the file it is painfully slow. Eventually it will attach. Also noticed winword is running when in outlook, but thinking about the integration of office small business edition, it's not too unusual per say.

It's not the virus scanner as I disabled it and noticed no change. Also 2 different computers one with Norton and one with AVG showed the same issues.

A detect and repair for outlook and word did nothing for the system.

I'm going to try a uninstall/reinstall over the weekend to see if "word" is truly the culprit.

Does anyone here have any similar or read some experience on the matter? I'm wondering if there's something else causing this that I have overlooked.

Back