Word 2010 -- Can't indent multi-level list past 8?

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
I am doing a massively complex and ultra deep multi-level list and I just ran into a problem: I can't go past 8 sub-levels. :( Is there something I can do to go farther?

leonardo-dicaprio.jpg

I'm trying to make a web mapping of my mental psychology and life. The list version won't be as accurate as can be because it's two dimensional and some things are within the same Ring/Level/Layer (computer terms) but in different aspects and some things are linked together, but I need it to help me get started on making a three dimensional version. It will show how I think and perceive reality.

What's a better tool?
Pen and paper, Excel, flow chart software, etc. There are probably other programs that can make web diagrams even better, but I don't know any off the top of my head. A few minutes of research would probably be enough to find one though.

I'm trying to make a web mapping of my mental psychology and life. The list version won't be as accurate as can be because it's two dimensional and some things are within the same Ring/Level/Layer (computer terms) but in different aspects and some things are linked together, but I need it to help me get started on making a three dimensional version. It will show how I think and perceive reality.
Zero82z, you left out this part. That's the more important part. I just need something basic from 2D (or 1D?) to put up into 3D. Once I start working with a 3D skeleton I can start attempting to perceive my current state of being in a different perspective.

(EDIT: And yes, I think 3D would be most appropriate. 2D would look confusing, 3D less confusing -- the lesser of evils)

No, I didn't miss that part. You can still do a better job of your 2D version with a piece of software more properly-suited to doing what you are trying to do.

No, I didn't miss that part. You can still do a better job of your 2D version with a piece of software more properly-suited to doing what you are trying to do.
The reason I say 2D would look very confusing versus the 3D version is because then I would have arrows and lines literally pointing everywhere.

Top view you have me (my name) in the center, branching out from the highest roots: Academic, Business, Personal. These are the lives I live and have. From these they further branch out. In addition to this view, everything will be organized into groups and rings similar to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Priv_rings.svg

Side view you will have things classified in layers (or levels) an a fashion like OSI Model.

Yes, both rings and layers are two entirely different dimensions of classifying data in my model. One of them is more hierarchical (organizational instruction execution) while the other priority (CPU priorities and IRQ). There might even be an additional factor to work with, and if I do, it will definitely require 3D.

You're still doing it wrong.

For communicating information, 3D is rarely appropriate, and is extremely difficult to do well. And some interactive 3D interface for anything besides physical objects is going to be impossibly confusing.

Most people actually have a very difficult time spatially mapping 3D situations they are familiar with. Trying to orient something unknown in 3D is nearly impossible. People's perception of relationship, scale, and association in even 2D layouts has been conclusively shown to be widely inaccurate, and it's even worse in 3D. That's why pie graphs are awful.

Our minds like 2D. Stick to 2D. If you can't make it work in 2D, you need to rethink what you are trying to communicate.

You should borrow/buy and read these three books before you go any further:

http://www.amazon.com/Visual-Displa...2142/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1303226724&sr=8-2
http://www.amazon.com/Envisioning-I...2118/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303226724&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Visual-Explan...2126/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1303226724&sr=8-4

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back