Word 2007 - Why does it want to capitalize these words?

drdeutsch

2[H]4U
Hi all,

I work part-time as a proofreader for hire, mostly correcting English research papers and stuff for non-native speakers. I'm pretty adept at Word and figuring stuff out, but I've run into a problem I can't seem to explain.

This particular .doc file had some strange formatting, so I stripped it all back to Normal and started from scratch. However, there are many words in the middle of sentences that Word says should be capitalized and I have no idea why. I've included a screenshot.

2009-10-17_140232.jpg

This is "normal" text - no other formatting. Language is set to English (U.K.) according to the dictionary, although that should be a problem. There are about 100 words in this 5-page document that have this problem. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks.

Word wanting to capitalize "of" in the middle Of a sentence is obviously correct. Stop fighting it.

I'm actually a little perplexed myself. Have you tried cutting all the text from this document to a fresh new document? You mentioned you started from scratch, but I'm not entirely sure what that means in this context.

When I first opened it, the formatting was horrible. Odd margins, not all paragraphs had the same indent, some underline here, some of this there, etc. It's pretty standard for Taiwanese people who are writing English. For some reason, they just love playing with the buttons and moving things.

So I selected all and changed it to "Normal" style (Word 2007). This is supposed to strip all the formatting from the text and it appears to have worked. Margins went back to normal, no indents, everything at Times New Roman 12 pt. font. Then I started working on the Titles, subtitles, redoing paragraphs, etc.

So there shouldn't be any extra or hidden formatting on these particular words, yet Word is showing them as errors.

It's not a dealbreaker. Obviously I can turn the paper back in like this and get paid as my job as a proofreader is done. I'm just curious as to what's going on with this in Word so I can fix it or avoid it next time.

I haven't tried copying it to a new document. I'll give it a shot and see if the formatting stays, but I still have to work within this one document. As a proofreader, I'm required to stay in the same document and use the "Track Changes" feature to make my changes, save it, and return the original document to the owner so they can see what changes I've made and why. Copying to a new document and turning that in will be out of the question.

Back