WOOT!!!! Just got my 3700 S.D.

Discussion in 'AMD Processors' started by SAW, Apr 15, 2006.

1. SAW

SAW [H]ard|Gawd

Im in process of building my first computer...still ordering parts though, but I just now got my RAM (2 gigs) and my CPU...an AMD 3700...

After looking at it (as im not ready to install it yet), I remember reading (somewhere in the FAQ's) about how the "glue" that comes with the CPU wasnt all that great and people should use __________ glue instead.....What was the name of that glue?

Anyone got any pointers for me? Anything I should know about....things to look out for?

Any advise would sure be helpfull :D

Thanks

2. DeadlyAura

DeadlyAura 2[H]4U

Overclock it to 2.7 @ 250 FSB and 1.450 VCore.

Runs stable on Prime95 and 32*C at idle. Right now at full load the processor is reading 45*C on stock cooling. Although this isn't ideal, its decent for stock.

3. Deimos

Deimos Gawd

:rolleyes:
    Every CPU overclocks differently, just try and get the highest you can, mine runs stable at 2625Mhz with 1.6 Volts but nothing lower on the voltage

4. -=Cobra=-

-=Cobra=- n00b

The "glue" u referring to is maybe Thermal Paste, and the known best is Artic Silver5 aka(AS5)

5. Adionik

Adionik [H]ard|Gawd

I used Arctic Ceramique because newegg ran out of Silver 5 when I was ordering everything.

I've hit 2.97GHz on 1.584. Idled at 38c and 43c after games.

6. JCNiest5

JCNiest5 2[H]4U

Maybe he was refering to Artic Silver 5? Sidewinder's got it for the cheapest of any place I've shopped so far. Ordered a 12 gram tube and is waiting for its turn. Still have the very last drop of Artic Silver 3 to play with first.

7. (313)dnoyeb

(313)dnoyeb [H]Lite

Best? I could have sworn it was HOCP that showed there wasn't much difference between the different brands with some that sucked and the rest were all about the same :confused:

8. SAW

SAW [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks for all the help guys...

The glue I was reffering to is called that Artic Silver. I knew it was called silver something......errr. umm. something silver, heh. I tried re-reading those FAQs, but I guess I overlooked the "glue" part cause I couldnt find where it was talkin about it,,so thanks fer the input :D

All you other guys talkin about overclockin and stuff. Although I appreciate your input, I know NOTHING about overclocking and well, you guys are speakin greek to me when you start talkin about the mhz and stuff you get when you overclock...Im just totally lost as to what you guys are talkin about....

9. Totalchaos

Totalchaos Limp Gawd

Then we are not talking Greek, we're talking geek :p

10. quietRiot

quietRiot [H]ard|Gawd

hmmm things to look out for...

frustration is on the horizon, be prepared.

11. QuimZ

QuimZ Gawd

So are you new to computers or overclocking? If you don't know what thermal paste is or what mhz means and how that applies to the processor, I'd suggest doing a lot of studying before OC'ing. Hope that doesn't sound rude, I'm sure nobody here wants you to burn your money up.

12. pettybone

pettybone Gawd

I don't get where you guys thought he asked any questions about overclocking. He was only curious about the thermal paste. He doesn't plan on overclocking.

13. killedaway

killedaway Limp Gawd

since you're not planning on overclocking, i think you'll get great temps using the pre-applied thermal grease on your CPU. it works great. some people will tell you to get AS5 for this reason or that, but if you never plan to OC, that stuff already on the heatsink will work just fine.

14. (313)dnoyeb

(313)dnoyeb [H]Lite

Shouldnt we point out that some stock CPUs come with a strip of something like doublt sided tape and the HSF is sort of taped onto the CPU. And if you are putting on your own HSF be sure to get this tape completely off before you apply any heatsink paste..

15. DeadlyAura

DeadlyAura 2[H]4U

I know, I made a joke and everyone who posted after me took it seriously. I don't think anyone after me read the original post. :p

16. arnemetis

arnemetis 2[H]4U

I have a 3700, and I too need high volts, 1.65v for 2.75ghz...but anyway, just so you understand, the thermal paste isnt glue at all. Permanently adhering a heatsink to a chip would provide no/little benefit at all, its just a paste. The stock paste/heatsink will be quite alright if you never plan on overclocking, and preserves something few care about around here (but many will try to weasel it out of manufacturers anyway) - the warranty. I have my unused 3700 heatsink right here - looks like a thin layer of silverish paste, covering the entire range of the IHS (integrated heat spreader on top of chip), just drop it in, lock it in place, and you are good to go. If you ever decide to get into overclocking, there is a very complete guide stickied at the top of the AMD forum, I would suggest reading that over before diving in. Hope all goes well with the build!

17. SAW

SAW [H]ard|Gawd

Nope, dont know much about computers at all. I DO know what a Mhz is though and I know I want my computer to have LOTS of it, heh. This computer im using right now is ancient, compared to the computer world. Its only an 800mhz (mega hurts, lol). Back when I got it though, it was was about 2 steps below the fastest they had out at the time, which was just a bit over a gig. Thats back when flat panel monitors cost more than an entire computer setup.

I wouldnt say I would "never" attempt or try to overclock my new computer, but, for now, once its built, I wont be attempting any of that sort of stuff (too afraid Ill do something wrong and have to tell my wife I have to spend yet, MORE money).

As far as reading up about computer tech stuff....well, thats why Im here :D Im also wanting to get this book I saw called Building a Computer for Dummies. To me, its not enough for someone to just say
    I just dont have the knowledge to comprehend that....at least not at this time. That book however, goes into detail about what that stuff is talkin about and most importantly, WHY...Im the type of person that needs to know WHY something is the way it is for me to fully understand HOW and WHY it works the way it does, otherwise, im basicallly just flipping switches and seeing what happens. From what ive read so far, I know at least, THAT aint a good way to go about learning this type of stuff.

Sooo, basically, I know the "basics".

This will be my very very first computer build EVER. Needless to say, im a bit worried about F'in something up. So, with each part I order, I start askin questions that come to mind about that part.

All I need now is my V.Card, HD, PSU. Various cables I dont already have and a few fans. So, IM ALMOST THERE.......

WOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!

18. DeadlyAura

DeadlyAura 2[H]4U

I know, I was trying to be funny and everyone took it way to serious. heh, go figure :p

Anyways, I definately agree with what you plan to do. I posted a thread trying to make people aware of the need to read up and learn about PC's before they attempt to build one. Although my thread got flamed to shit. So, I'm not even going to tell you which one it is.

I'm glad you are taking the initiative to learn and be able to comprehend what you are doing instead of taking a shot in the dark like some do.

19. arnemetis

arnemetis 2[H]4U

Since its your first build, and you mentioned you still need hdd, vid card, and psu, let me give you one piece of advice - DON'T skimp on the PSU! Whatever you decide on, run it by us first, theres nothing worse than a crap psu trashing an entire system. Brand matters, and the amps on the various lines (12v most important) are somethign more to consider than just the wattage of the supply. In many cases a cheapo 500w psu will be outdone by a high quality 400w. Good luck, and I doubt that dummies book will give any insight on overclocking, that what we're here for :p Good luck!

20. quietRiot

quietRiot [H]ard|Gawd

QFT

21. pettybone

pettybone Gawd

Yeah this forum is great. I have built a numerous amount of computers but coming to this forum, I make better buying decisions. I know that I have built the best computer I could buy based on the opinions and recommendations of the people on this forum. With out this site, I would still be buying Fry's crap specials

22. SAW

SAW [H]ard|Gawd

I made a post in the PSU forums, but since ya brought it up...

The PSU I "was" thinking of getting was the Antec TruePower II..The $99 one from NewEgg.

ALL of the reviews at NewEgg all say its a good PSU and the only Cons they talk about are the abnormally long cords/cables.

I had one guy send me a PM here at [H] saying the Antec TPII isnt that bad of a PSU, but it only has 2 rails....yadda yadda.....Once he started talkin about rails and stuff, well, I kinda got lost cause I just dont know what he was talkin about.

Ive read that using a HIGH end PSU really only becomes VERY important when your into the overclocking. If your/i'm just going to be playing games and surfin, then this PSU will perform fine for me.

I read about 30 reviews over at TomsHardware, where they did stress tests on all kinds of PSU's. The Antec TPII only got I think, a 73% rating, so it was below average. The Antec Phantoms though rated in the low to mid 80's if I remember correctly, but, at a decent 50-60 dollar increase in price.

The Fortons (I think thats what they were called) ranked in the top 2 for their stress tests as being the best and only lost minimal amount of power due to heat.

Im still undecided as to which PSU Im going to get.....as it turns out, im going to have a few months to figure it out..My truck didnt pass inspection and going to cost me 300 bucks to fix whats wrong with it so it can pass......There goes my V.Card....as well as it pushes me back even further of getting this new computer bought and put together..

Oyyyyy...

23. Danly

Danly [H]Lite

Damn that sucks, if it's going to be a few months before you can actually put a system together, send that shit back and get a refund. AM2 is only a few months away (june I believe), and at the very least it offers a better upgrade path than s939. And if you don't go AM2, I bet that 3700+ s939 will be a hell of a lot cheaper by then.

24. SAW

SAW [H]ard|Gawd

Send "what" back? Which "shit" was you reffering to, lol...

25. Danly

Danly [H]Lite

What ever "shit" you bought for your computer that doesn't exist yet. Computer parts are the fastest depreciating items, and it'd be even worse if they're not in use. Oh, and I'm right in the middle of an economics course, so I can't help but care. :)

26. SAW

SAW [H]ard|Gawd

Heh, send them back ehh?? LOL....

Well, the way I look at it.....If I bought everything now and put the computer together NOW. I would be using it for next 3-5 years. All the parts and everything would be used for that amount of time without upgrading..So, If I was to use those parts for that given time frame, then waiting a few months extra isnt going to kill me.....

Hell, Ive been buying parts and pieces for this computer for nearly a year already, lol. Bro-inlaw ripped me off of my original $$$ that was to buy everything at once....Takes awhile to recoop from that sort of loss....