Woot: HP ZR2740w 27" WXQD IPS Monitor - $349

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
HP ZR2740w 27" WQHD LED-backlit IPS Monitor with DisplayPort, Dual-Link DVI & 4-Port USB Hub
$349.99

http://www.woot.com/offers/hp-27-wq...il&utm_term=0_c5ca76da11-cf5383e8e1-293440957

Factory Reconditioned

Specifications:
Class: 27"
Viewable: 27"
Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Refresh Rate: 60Hz
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Colors: 1.07 Billion
Contrast Ratio: 1000:1
Brightness: 50 to 380 cd/m2
Response Time: 12ms (GTG)
Viewable Angle: 178° / 178°
Pixel Pitch: 0.233mm
Panel: LED-backlit IPS
HDCP Compatible: Yes
Input Connector: DisplayPort, Dual-Link DVI
USB Hub: Self-powered 4-port USB 2.0 hub, with (1) USB upstream connector*; (4) USB downstream connectors
Display Features: Plug and Play
Anti-Glare
Stand Adjustments: Tilt: -5 to +35°
Swivel: ±45°
Height Adjustment: 3.9"
Pivot Rotation: Yes
User Controls: Brightness, Source
Physical Security: Security Lock-Ready
Voltage: AC 100-240V, 50/60Hz
Power Consumption: 120W (max) 95W (typical); <2W Standby
VESA Compatible: 100 x 100mm
Inputs:
DisplayPort with HDCP: 1
Dual-Link DVI-D with HDCP: 1
USB 2.0 Ports: 4 (2 side; 2 down)
USB Upstream: 1
Dimensions:
With Stand: 25.4"(W) x 21.6"(H) x 9.3"(D)
Without Stand: 25.4"(W) x 15.4"(H) x 2.7"(D)
Weight:
With Stand: 23.1 lbs
Without Stand: 17.6 lbs

Great monitor with terrible build quality. If it works, its great.

I own this display and find the build quality to be very good, not sure what you're talking about.

You got lucky. Mine had a row of flickering pixels, and the middle of the bottom bezel was bulging away from the screen leaving a 1/4 inch gap for dust to collect. HP also screwed me over on the cost of shipping, but that's a different story.

If it wasn't for the 12ms response time, I'd probably get one of these right now. Seems like a good deal if you don't do much gaming.

Wow, great price, but the "factory reconditioned" part scares me a little. I wonder how this compares with the Monoprice 27" monitors that have been on the front page of SlickDeal often the past month or so.

Wow, great price, but the "factory reconditioned" part scares me a little. I wonder how this compares with the Monoprice 27" monitors that have been on the front page of SlickDeal often the past month or so.

Curious about this. I'm debating ordering it, I've had my eyes on a Xstar or Monoprice 27" for a little while now.

Damn, it has bad reviews on Amazon (3.3/5.0). :(

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
A more favorable review on AnandTech.

Curious about this. I'm debating ordering it, I've had my eyes on a Xstar or Monoprice 27" for a little while now.
The Xstar is also relatively incredibly cheap, like Monoprice. But both have concerns. The "best" in this category seems to be Dell's 27", but that is pretty damn expensive. If you want to pay a lot, then there's always the Apple Cinema Display, but no thanks for me. I heard the 27" Asus is pretty nice, but I haven't seen good deal on it in a while (something under $500, preferably closer to $400 for new). : \

My understanding is that this is a great monitor. There is no OSD so there is a relatively low input lag. I would jump on this if I didn't already have a Dell U2711 that I got refurbed.

If you are going to color calibrate the monitor anyways it's unlikely you would be using the OSD for much of anything. Also, I imagine everyone around here knows how to adjust everything through the video card drivers that would otherwise be adjusted by the OSD.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5636/hp-zr2740w-high-resolution-ips-that-doesnt-break-the-bank

Somehow I missed you'd posted it already. I had trouble digging it up again as I couldn't remember which site I'd seen the well written review on. I researched these back in July;)

I got one a while back and it's been doing me good. I guess I'm not pro gamer enough to notice display-related lagging. The AG coating is a point of contention, it's VERY aggressive and gives the screen a bit of a shimmery look. There was some guide to actually removing the coating, which was silly, but spoke of how extreme it is.

I did notice the top right side has a raised part of the bezel, but it does not affect performance. Just looks sloppy.

this is a great deal, of course you cant expect the best 27in monitor for $350 but its a nice deal for that price. IPS, nice resolution

I have these at work and they're great.

No PWM backlight
17 ms total latency - they measure Dell U2713HM to have "average total lag of 22.6 milliseconds."
DP input
When ZR2740w we measured a short signal delay of 4.8 milliseconds. Because of the slow screen layout elapse until the desired brightness on average another 12.2 milliseconds, the average total latency falls with a total of 17.0 milliseconds longer.
Casual gamers should have no problems with the monitor, since only in fast-paced games light streaks were observed, which also hardly noticeable. Hardcore gamers, which depend on each millisecond, however, should resort to another model.

OK potential lag issues and lack of OSD aside, is there a concern that this is a refurb and not new? I've bought 2 refurb things from Woot, both several years ago. One was a SanDisk MP3 player that started acting up within a year. The other was a Hoover vacuum cleaner that I'm still using today. It has a wonky switch that starting acting up a couple years ago, but it still works - I just turn off the vacuum by pulling the power cord. I don't know what to expect with a refurb monitor. My current monitor was purchased brand new (24" Dell) back in 2005 and it still works like a champ. (Knock on wood.)

OK potential lag issues and lack of OSD aside, is there a concern that this is a refurb and not new? I've bought 2 refurb things from Woot, both several years ago. One was a SanDisk MP3 player that started acting up within a year. The other was a Hoover vacuum cleaner that I'm still using today. It has a wonky switch that starting acting up a couple years ago, but it still works - I just turn off the vacuum by pulling the power cord. I don't know what to expect with a refurb monitor. My current monitor was purchased brand new (24" Dell) back in 2005 and it still works like a champ. (Knock on wood.)

I read quite a bit before I placed my order and apparently the refurbs had a lot of the issues, that the old new ones had, fixed.

Well duh, some junker off Woot, whaddya expect? :)

yeah, it's a dice roll getting stuff like this (display, av equipment) off woot. hopefully the replacement experience isn't too bad, but woot isn't famous for their fast shipping or anything.. :p

yeah, it's a dice roll getting stuff like this (display, av equipment) off woot. hopefully the replacement experience isn't too bad, but woot isn't famous for their fast shipping or anything.. :p

They got it to me in like 2 days.

They haven't gotten back to my email, though. I don't want it replaced, I just want a refund.

Oh wow that's quite fast. I haven't ever gotten anything from woot faster than a week... I guess they were ready for the holiday shipping onslaught. ;)

good luck with the refund.

Sorry to hear that, Vicinity. That will make me even shyer when it comes to pulling the trigger on a refurb monitor.

Great monitor with terrible build quality. If it works, its great.

Out of my Catleap, two U2711s, three ZR2740w's I've owned and my friends ASUS 27" PLS, I'd say it's not so bad considering its the one I still have and still use...

Out of my Catleap, two U2711s, three ZR2740w's I've owned and my friends ASUS 27" PLS, I'd say it's not so bad considering its the one I still have and still use...

If it works its great. But they dont work a lot.

Last edited:
I didn't mean to bag on woot... I think buying any refurb display or av stuff you are rolling the dice. you just have to hope the seller has a good refund or return policy.

A more favorable review on AnandTech.

The Xstar is also relatively incredibly cheap, like Monoprice. But both have concerns. The "best" in this category seems to be Dell's 27", but that is pretty damn expensive. If you want to pay a lot, then there's always the Apple Cinema Display, but no thanks for me. I heard the 27" Asus is pretty nice, but I haven't seen good deal on it in a while (something under $500, preferably closer to $400 for new). : \

iirc the apple 27 incher is the same panel that goes into the xstar and qnix. I bought a qnix from green_sum on ebay about 3 months ago (pixel perfect) and other than some very minimal BLB it's perfect. Zero dead pixels.

They got it to me in like 2 days.

They haven't gotten back to my email, though. I don't want it replaced, I just want a refund.

It would be great to hear how Woot hands your DOA item. Please keep us updated. Sorry you lost the lottery this time around.

Does it turn on? Mine wouldn't take a signal at first, took me 45 minutes to get it to work. I was actually just about to proclaim it DOA(purchased new at MC in store) and decided to try one last time and somehow it worked. I was shuffling video cards and everything. Very finicky taking input.

I got one of these from woot (also shipped to me in about 2 days) and its been working fine for a month or so now. The only downside I have found is that my 6950 struggles in some games at this resolution. I haven't noticed display lag or anything either and I play a lot of "bullet hell" style games where quick reactions are mandatory.

Does it turn on? Mine wouldn't take a signal at first, took me 45 minutes to get it to work. I was actually just about to proclaim it DOA(purchased new at MC in store) and decided to try one last time and somehow it worked. I was shuffling video cards and everything. Very finicky taking input.

Yep. Its backlit and everything. Sometimes a picture will display for a second, and only on one side of the monitor.

Woot still hasn't gotten back to me. Had enough time to have my old monitor shipped to me.

30Hz @ 4K + TN panel though. It'll be about as good as those suspiciously cheap Chinese 4K panels that were selling for a similar price.

:( I thought it would be ips. I was waiting for dell to do these 4k panels.

:( I thought it would be ips. I was waiting for dell to do these 4k panels.

Their 24" UltraSharp 4K panel is IPS...You are going to see a flood of these cheap TN panel "4K units" from every major vendor (Asus, VS, Dell, BenQ,etc) just so they can all say they have 4K units for sale..

The only upside is that for gaming, if they can at least do 60hz, it will push the adoption rate up, and hopefully the IPS 4K panels will come down in price..I am going to be moving back to a standard desk setup (been using a Lane BigMan Recliner and 42" IPS HDTV for ~3 years) and really want something in the 27~32" inch range @ 4K 60Hz...

Back