wooooo those are spendy mobos

Discussion in 'AMD MoBos' started by TMCM, Jun 11, 2019.

1. DrLobotomy

DrLobotomy [H]ardness Supreme

AMD wants some of that Intel cash.

Guess it is time to resurrect Cyrix.

MatthewK likes this.
  2. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

ftfy

Mav451, OhSigmaChi and N4CR like this.
  3. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

Man. if these prices are true, I may need to rethink my upgrade strategy...

This is most likely the last of the AM4 socket motherboards, so maybe a B450 mobo & 6C or 8C Zen 2 to hold me over until 2nd gen of AM5 mobos...?

N4CR likes this.
  4. Rvenger

Rvenger [H]ard|Gawd

buy an X470 and flash it.

IdiotInCharge, Mav451 and OhSigmaChi like this.
  5. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

I don't see the problem with the pricing, a decent board isn't much less these days anyway... It is more expensive entry level though as will Intel based PCie 4.0 boards one day, because of the clocking/retiming aspects of PCie4, if you don't need PCIe 4x then get an X470 or B450, you'll still get it on slot one. 95%+ of people currently will have zero use for it but future proofing.

If you want to play the game you'll have to pay.

>When newfags write news articles and have no idea of what is 'hot' or high power use for a chipset. Back in the days there were much more power hogging chipsets in the wild. And they had far better passive cooling than all these rice RGB POS boards have today.

Exactly. Investing in end of the line socket and chipset with a super expensive mobo makes little sense to me unless you have cash to burn or need feature set. B450-X470 will do the job for everyone else.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    OhSigmaChi likes this.
  6. noko

noko [H]ardness Supreme

I thought the prices was reasonable lol, was expecting something even higher! :cool:

I would be looking at 3950x + ASUS C8H, except Gigabyte maybe will win out with their superior VRM configurations. Then again I would not rule out Biostar either, the least problematic board probably I've ever own was their cheapo B350 I bought over two years ago. Since the 3950x won't be out for awhile I have time to see how they all stack up.

OFaceSIG and Azrak like this.
  7. Azrak

Azrak Gawd

That doesn't seem terrible considering the higher end VRM design and choice of MOSFETs, the X570 cost, and the material, design and layout requirements of PCIe 4.0.

Besides, if you think the PCIe 4.0 version of Intel MBs will be cheaper when they arrive (if they don't skip to PCIe 5.0 directly from 3.0), you need to think again.

N4CR and noko like this.
  8. OFaceSIG

OFaceSIG [H]ard|Gawd

Guys, for YEARS AMD sold chipsets at cost and Mobo vendors had to take a cut on AMD mobo margins to move product. There is no way this would continue under Zen 2. The core is nearly at Intel IPC parity! Why would they? They know they have a competitive product that people want. They are corporations, not charities.

9. notarat

notarat [H]ard|Gawd

N4CR, Azrak and noko like this.
  10. RazorWind

RazorWind 2[H]4U

I don't think you necessarily need a $600 motherboard. Those fancy Asus Crosshair Godlike Ultimate Hibachi XXXVIII ones have always been expensive. I suspect these X570 boards will be more expensive than previous generations, but I also suspect that there will be reasonably priced options. There pretty much has to be - the vast majority of users, even among enthusiasts such as [H] readers, isn't going to spend $600 on a motherboard.

They say that the least expensive X570 board will be priced around $160, which seems perfectly reasonable for the enthusiast platform, to me. Would you prefer that they made it cheap and poorly made, so it doesn't overclock well?

blade52x and OFaceSIG like this.
  11. Alienslare

Alienslare Limp Gawd

Well Asrock has X570 Aqua around 1000$

12. notarat

notarat [H]ard|Gawd

I am ALL OVER any mobo with Hibachi!

GoldenTiger, Mav451 and N4CR like this.
  13. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

You mean the motherboard with the factory monoblock covering the CPU, Chipset & VRMs, which is limited to 1000 units...?

Yeah, there is a reason it is so expensive...

14. Alienslare

Alienslare Limp Gawd

Yes exactly the one.

15. RazorWind

RazorWind 2[H]4U

Buildzoid makes a decent case for the idea that you don't necessarily need an X570 board at this point for the 8 core CPUs that most people are likely to have.

The case obviously being different if you get one of the 16 cores, at which point a better, more expensive motherboard isn't an unreasonable thing to ask for. We wouldn't even flinch when considering a $200 motherboard for a 9960X.

Mav451 likes this.
  16. TMCM

TMCM [H]ard|Gawd

I'm just saying that there is a pretty big jump in price. The Crosshair VII Hero Wifi is $274.99 currently while the Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi is expected to be $379.99. IMO the $100+ price increase is a pretty big jump.

17. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

They're probably expecting fewer people to upgrade to x570, given x470 and b450 were pretty decent platforms already and are forward compatible. Smaller run - > higher price.

That said, I'll be trying the 3600x in my x370 board before I decide whether an upgrade is warranted, and then I might just get a b450 if prices/availability are bad for x570.

18. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

It is expected. Ryzen 2 is entering HEDT territory with all the PCIe lanes and power delivery for the 12 and 16 core CPUs.

19. TMCM

TMCM [H]ard|Gawd

I'm real tempted to build an X570 system to replace my 6700k but it's so hard to justify the expense as my computer is more of an HTPC that I also play games on. I'm pissed at Intel as I'd like to get an 8700K to swap into my mobo but nope :(

20. Alienslare

Alienslare Limp Gawd

This is because of the pci express gen4 implementation. Vendors for achieving had to overcome hardware level obstacles like better quality PCB.

21. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

Is it confirmed that Zen3 will have a new socket?

22. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

Amd said am4 is only till 2020 and we are nearly starting q3 19...
    So yes almost undoubtedly. Maybe will see am4 apu on 7nm and that's it.

23. Nathan_P

Nathan_P [H]ard DCOTM x2

I'm not so sure, they got PCIe 4.0 on the same socket, I think they will wait until DDR5 to change the socket

24. OFaceSIG

OFaceSIG [H]ard|Gawd

Hibachi 38.... lulz

AMD's next consumer socket will have more then 16 primary PCI-E lanes... Mark my words.

grambo and N4CR like this.
  25. notarat

notarat [H]ard|Gawd

I get where you're coming from. It may seem like a large increase.

I typed my response up then read Alienslare's post. He pretty much sums up my conclusions. I would add, however, that if Intel releases a PCIe Gen4 board, the price increase would be similar. Possibly a little less since vendors refined their processes on the AMD side and can now more easily implement those changes when Intel relases a CPU capable of supporting PCIe Gen4...

26. Alienslare

Alienslare Limp Gawd

I will agree to it but may be Intel is up to implement PCIe Gen5 standards uptil 2021. Least thats what they said. So im not expecting them to be cheaper then Amd’s art.

27. funkydmunky

funkydmunky 2[H]4U

AMD will do AM4 until DDR5. There is no reason they won't. DDR5 is a way's out it looks like. AMD might stop CPU's at this point, but I don't think so. Expect a Zen2+ on AM4.

OhSigmaChi, Nathan_P and blkt like this.
  28. OhSigmaChi

OhSigmaChi [H]Lite

This is what I'm hoping for, I have a R5 2600 on an X470 Mobo right now, I may upgrade to a Zen 2, but would rather wait for a Zen 2+

29. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

DDR5 is next year. So 2020...
    I'm just relaying what AMD told us. DDR5 might require different socket for signalling etc and would make sense t9 differentiate sockets at this point.

Pieter3dnow likes this.
  30. kirbyrj

kirbyrj [H]ard as it Gets

I mean, it could be worse...Nvidia jumped the price of their high end "Ti" card by $500 (71% increase). In comparison, $75-100 isn't that bad.

Pieter3dnow and Alienslare like this.
  31. TMCM

TMCM [H]ard|Gawd

Hahahahaha Touché

32. Alienslare

Alienslare Limp Gawd

Man this thought made my day “DDR5”
    Hynix got it around 6400MT/s if im not wrong and that was couple of months back.
    If Amd has plans i wonder what Intel is upto because the blue people had been a leader implementing it. If Amd comes out earlier with ddr5 just like PCIe Gen4 i wonder where Intel would go then lol things are getting spiced around here. Dam it why didnt Amd hooked up Zen2 with ddr5 standards.
    I bet Intel back at its end would be thinking X series refresh with ddr5 quad channel support. Or perhaps atleast PCIe Gen4 revision.

33. noko

noko [H]ardness Supreme

I would just not want to pay the initial DDR 5 tax when released, rather wait for the tech to mature, improve and prices to drop. For me it looks like 3 years+ if I am still into this thing. So the next motherboard should take me there, hell even my current one may if I get cost conscious.

OhSigmaChi likes this.
  34. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

I get the reasoning for the high-end prices, but ASUS is putting their entry-level X570 boards- and remember that X570 isn't the 'entry-level' chipset!- at US$160.

I call that business as usual. Rumors had the price floor closer to US$200. US$160 for the top chipset is normal.

Alienslare likes this.
  35. Thatguybil

Thatguybil [H]Lite

DDR5 will be in severs first for at least 6 months to a year before it comes to consumers. If DDR5 is 2020 for severs then we won’t see it in the mainstream PC space till 2021. The workstation HEDT space might see it shortly after the server space.

36. Pieter3dnow

Pieter3dnow [H]ardness Supreme

It depends on where AMD is going if there going to push on that (AM5) platform so Intel can't catch up then the money you invested would be worth it, if it is a half ass'd attempt that falls short of pushing technology and cashing in on new keywords then it surely not worth any money.

37. defaultluser

defaultluser [H]ardForum Junkie

Nobody said you had to buy on day one. The cheaper boards will appear within a few months, or you can just go without your PCIe 4 south-bridge, and use existing 470/B450 motherboards

Last time I checked, Gigabyte had already enabled PCIe 4.0 support on it's mid and high-end motherboards.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-amd-ryzen-3000-pcie-4.0-x470,39377.html

That gives you 16 lanes of PCIE 4.0.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  38. TMCM

TMCM [H]ard|Gawd

of course no one said I had to buy one i'm just commenting on the significant increase in price for this gen mobos

39. daphatgrant

daphatgrant Moderator Staff Member

If those prices hold true it'll be about what I was expecting. I'm not saying that I'm happy about it but it is what it is.