Wooden Webspider

Fiddeli

n00b
Hi!

Just want to present my latest project, Wooden Webspider.

I like to work with wood and got an Epia 800 mini ITX mb available from my job and thought , I need a webserver and a mailserver at home.

This is what the result looks like.

Hope you like it.

Winner of the best looking wooden case 2005 in sweden:

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

Priset.jpg

Nice. I don't even want to think how you did that spiderweb cutout in the front... :)

If it wasnt for the grain showing on the top lid, I would have assumed that thing to be a fancy old-time radio. Have someone with a tablesaw do 45 degree cuts on the lid and walls.

distr0 said:
looks like it! i always wanted to try build a cusom heatsink
Look around at junkyards or scrapyards and you probably could rig up a home made mill. You can use those long cement spiraly screws to move the dremmel around, and one on the bottom to move the work peice. after that, you just need a hunk of aluminum or copper.

If i had a job right now, I would be putting a LOT of hours in with my dremmel and some hunks of oak. Ive always wanted to make a desktop case out of wood (Mid-ATX tower, at least 4 5.25" drive bays). Wood is incredibly expensive for big projects.

p0stal said:
Very nice!!

Is that a custom made hs as well?

Partially custom =)
Ita a hs for socket 7, the org hs on the Epia is small and has a noisy fan attached.

About the work on the net I used a router, dremel and around 20 hours of sandpaper :p

I like, nice going. and its not another "I just nailed a box together and put my stuff in there and called it a pc" kind of job, you did quite a nifty job there. I like the finish.

Thankyou all for the kind words :D
Thats what makes one going on.

Passive Anubis said:
Muy Sexy, you should add some "glowing" effect to it.

Thought about it, but im kind of tired of all blinking, flashing and lighted cases and wanted to do one without it. I´ll see what happens next time.

Very nice, man *applause*....I really like the cutout of the web and spider....very smooth...slick job man! :) You are pretty damn :cool:

NIIIIIIIIIICe case, wow. you must have a nice internet connection to run your own mail/web server. very clean case and i like the back for the i/o plate area.

Nice work! I love the cutouts you did. I think you just inspired me to get working :)

Back in Dec I attempted to make an Oak case for my GF. After playing around a bit with some oak, I learned that I am much better with steel and aluminum. I am now working on a design that is mostly oak but also aluminum and clear resin. I am still not very comfortable with woodworking, but well I think I could do it.

I support your idea about leaving out the lights. I think that case looks great without it.

Happy Hopping said:
What is that thing that fans out (pic #4 from the top)?

It´s a heavily modified socket 7 heatsink since the original had a noisy fan and not much of heatspreaders.

DANG....
that is awesome....that would take me forever to cut that spider out in the window.....
good job..

I have been thinking about doing this for a while. What is wood like for reduceing noise and vibration? I know a big part of the noise in normal cases is all the echo sheets of steel resonating to hard drives and fans. I assume that wood will have much better dampening effect. Have you found this with your case?

Wood is better absorbing vibrations and then i put small pieces of "the stuff you put under the chairleg so it doesnt scratch the floor" :D (dont know the name in english) between the fan and the case, window isolation where i have the harddisks. Even when i run the fans on 12 V its hard to hear it.

Back