Wood HTC

Rusty4560

[H]ard|Gawd
I through together a NAS/HTPC from spare parts and a AMD APU board. However I don't have a lot of space and didn't feel like spending a lot of money on an HTPC case.

Current this is the state of the HTPC

So with a $16 piece of 1/2" oak plywood I set out to construct a home for it.

Last edited:
I had a few ideas on what I wanted to do. However ultimately the wife said she wanted it to fit in that same spot it's in. So I nixed all my plans and went with hers. I showed her a Hyperion loot box from Borderlands 2 and she said thought it would be a cool case and that she'd be able to paint it. So with an extra set of hands we decided to make it look like this.. (kinda)

The box is roughly 17" wide x 8" deep and 7" tall

Laying out the components...

Last edited:
Cut out all the pieces and laid them out to see how it'll look...

Straightened the edges and did a little mock up.

That was all for tonight.
Hopefully tomorrow I'll cut out the PSU mount hole, motherboard back plate hole and start making the hard drive bays.

Last edited:
Please take the mobo off the anti-static bag. You are not supposed to power components on an ESD surface. They are conductive and can short out powered parts. The bags are to protect non-powered components from ElectroStatic Discharge.

Currently I'm waiting on a Square Green LED power switch from China.... So it's going to be a while...

Lol w/o reading a thing and only seeing the painted pics, I thought borderlands and scrolled up to make sure not to say, "wow, that looks so close to borderlands box"........

Great job

Thanks for the front page but a lot of the credit needs to go to my wife for the pseudo cell-shading.

Isn't it going to be weird when people come in and they're like "Why is your computer a cartoon?" "Where is Roger Rabbit?" "Did you put Substance D in my drink?"

Wow that came out really well!
it appears that we both have wives with sharpie talent!

Any pics of the inside??

The inside isn't finished. I'm waiting on the power button to finish up the inside.

Are you worried about the thermal logistics of using wood? I thought most computer cases use aluminum so that even the case material itself will act as a heat sink.

holy crap that looks amazing! I thought it was a photoshop lol

Update:
My green square LED button is still not here from china. I suspect it is somewhere in the Pacific Ocean right now. What can you expect for $4.60 free shipping?

Once I receive the button I'll finish up the case and post some new pics.

Are you worried about the thermal logistics of using wood? I thought most computer cases use aluminum so that even the case material itself will act as a heat sink.

What a PC case is made out of has an insignificant affect on overall rig temperatures. :rolleyes:

Love this case build! I was just saying on another thread, I love seeing cases made from things other than aluminum. Very cool. The painting is excellent (props to your wife).

What a PC case is made out of has an insignificant affect on overall rig temperatures. :rolleyes:
Agreed. I've made rough prototypes from cardboard before committing to aluminum and the temps are nearly identical. Air flow rates through most any case will negate the case material's thermal conductivity properties. And it's thermodynamics, not "thermal logistics". /eng. know-it-all rant ;)

Last edited:
Update:

China button finally came. They sent me the wrong voltage. (big surprise, Fuck China)
Had to buy another one (From Texas this time), should be here next week.

So after way to long of a break.... I started up this project again. Sorry for going silent for so long but I lost a lot of my workspace recently.

Anyway. I got the green power button in and I have it plugged in temporarily to see how things fit.

Here is it hooked up in the living room.

When I tidy up the inside and finish up the paint I'll post final pics.

Back