Woo! I think I burnt my XFi!

I'm beginning to think USB out to my DAC is going to yield better results for 2channel mode. The only thing I need now is a card with gaming support.. which will probably be the new Prelude card...

The new cards should ship with HDMI and that should yield very good results:) I know I put off my next card until after the Prelude. I'd imagine Auzentech already knew they were going to do this and had something in the oven before they made an announcement. Any other move would be too risky!

Well assuming that pinpig keeps his CD's in pristine condition, and has a high quality plextor reader, what he's looking for is the most transparent solution, he doesnt need a crystallizer, no bass boost, nothing... I'm looking at a separate pci card for JUST his DAC and prevent any data leak from the usb bus

I'm looking at a separate pci card for JUST his DAC and prevent any data leak from the usb bus

That's actually a brilliant idea!!!! I should've thought of that! Keeping an isolated USB output just for the DAC.

Then get a Trends UD-10.

You get USB to s/pdif (optical, coax, XLR), a really good clock for reduced jitter, and it's own power supply for isolation from the computer's PSU.

I use one called hagUSB, and there are others too... there is one that is over $1000 and can output to I2S (a dac chip's native protocol, no s/pdif necessary if you dac can support it)

But yeah, I would definately look into the Trends UD-10 if you do not want to use the USB on your DAC.

The idea the new Prelude will ship with HDMI is nothing more then wishful thinking. I personally think we will get HDMI for the card but it will be in the form of a upgrade board it won't be on the main card as the circuitry will drive up the price for a features that not everybody wants. It is still very much a niche feature.....

That's actually a brilliant idea!!!! I should've thought of that! Keeping an isolated USB output just for the DAC.

Yup that is a great idea.

Again, the X-FI's Digital Out in bit matched is strictly a Bypass. It can bypass ALL the EFFECTS. It can be set to 2Ch 24bit/96 or 192 direct and the Card doesn't interfere with the signal at all. I think Audigy users don't get it or maybe I missed something here:) That means no re-sample and 44.1 CDA.

I'd honestly rather have SACD and not fuxers with a computer.

Thanks for the Trends UD10 tip, I checked it out.... not sure how it would affect the signal once it gets into the little USB converting box though.

Donnie.... again valuable input. Yes, I understand that the XFi can do bit-matched output via digital out and bypasses all the tricks and sonic modifications that the card may do to the signal.

Well, if your DAC has toslink, you could use some good glass cable and get 100% isolation from noise.

The UD-10 has it's own PSU so it is isolated from the computer, but the glass cable completely isolates the DAC from everything, and with the good clock in the ud-10 you can be assured a low jitter signal even from toslink.

I prefer the sound of toslink, but I only have coax s/pdif out from the hagUSB. I use a monarchy audio DIP to reclock the signal and keep everything isolated from the computer's PSU (the hagusb runs off of USB power). The better the source the less need for something like the DIP. The ud-10 would replace both devices for me, but it came out after I made my investment.

Thanks for the Trends UD10 tip, I checked it out.... not sure how it would affect the signal once it gets into the little USB converting box though.

Donnie.... again valuable input. Yes, I understand that the XFi can do bit-matched output via digital out and bypasses all the tricks and sonic modifications that the card may do to the signal.

I'm sure you know but some of that was for the other guy. You got my full respect when it comes to anything having to do with Audio. While I was in the Military I was able to spend a lot of Cash or made trades for some sweet equipment. I use to be hooked! I keep my old Phase Linear Range Expander Noise Reduction unit as a reminder of when I had the whole rig.

I'm sure you know but some of that was for the other guy. You got my full respect when it comes to anything having to do with Audio. While I was on the Military I was able to send a lot of Cash or made trades for some sweet equipment. I use to be hooked! I keep my old Phase Linear Range Expander Noise Reduction unit as a reminder of when I had the whole rig.

Thanks Donnie, same with you too.:)

Back