Woo-hoo! Upgrading my internet speeds!

amdgamer

Supreme [H]ardness
Well guys, I got a notification from Time Warner that they are now offering faster internet speeds in my neighborhood. One thing that was slightly annoying is how your internet connection becomes totally bottlenecked if you are doing something and your folding rig decides to upload a finished bigadv. They are coming out tomarrow to make the new upgrades, and I can't wait to test drive bigadv uploads at 7mbit up, 30mbit download! With my current connection, uploading a 98-101mb bigadv file can take between 25-40 minutes.

yay! I wish I could get 7mb up, I think comcast limits it to 3mb or something like that even when we have 20mb down.

yay! I wish I could get 7mb up, I think comcast limits it to 3mb or something like that even when we have 20mb down.

Yep, I believe thats about where I'm sitting with my Comcast connection too.

Hell I wish I could get 3mb up!
Well technically I could, but I don't feel like getting AT&T U-Verse at least until our DirecTV contract is up (and then we go for the whole 3 way deal bundle incl. tv and home phone).
We have the highest tier DSL package (DSL Elite) which is 6meg down/768k up.

Oops, that was a typo. My speeds if the installation goes correctly tomarrow will be 30mbp down, 5 mbs up. My current speeds right now are 384kbs up, and 7mbs down.

The interesting thing is that my monthly bill will actually decrease by $14 a month from Time Warner as they are offering a 1 year promotion since I already have their phone service. I am hoping that the phone company's fiber optic service will be in my neighborhood by then.

Fiber rules!

50 mbp up, 50 mbp down.

You can get 50/50 with comcast also, but its like $100, or I get the choice of some sweet 7mb dsl that always goes down. We all love to rag on comcast but I think dsl needs to step up and make comcast do better.

Bite me all of you.. I'm stuck at 384k up 512k down unless I wanna get completely ass-raped ($75) just to get 384k up 768k down.

I have the charter media bundle: phone, cable, and internet. I personally regret it, I've used maybe 100min on the phone, and we have started using netflix a lot more.

I'm going to drop the crap and stick with the cable. The basic plan is 2meg up, which works for me.

I might even be able to justify higher electric bills, if the cable is 90$ less. :eek:

BTW: we recently received the free upgrade to 16/2meg, used to be 768k. I thought the download was higher for some reason.

comcasts is 12/1 16/2 20/2 25/2 30/2 50/5.. and if you have business class you can get 100/20 but those are in select area's.. but here in about 3-4 months anyone in a comcast xfinity area will have the ability to get 100mbit down im not sure what the upload will be though.. but dont expect it to be cheap..

You can get 50/50 with comcast also, but its like $100, or I get the choice of some sweet 7mb dsl that always goes down. We all love to rag on comcast but I think dsl needs to step up and make comcast do better.

thats the business line and its 160 dollars a month..and its a special request speed.. honestly i hate comcast with a passion but DSL is a joke and AT&T aka SBC aka pacbell can kiss my ass.. jackasses will never get another dime from me..

I just went from 1.5MB to 3MB them my DSL provider gave a free bump to 5MB and I was HAPPY. I only have one choice living way out on the edge of town. Costs $50/mo.:eek: Still only 512K up though. At least I can now stream Youtube video's decently.

I wouldn't admit it to my wife, but the availability of Fios was a big deciding factor for me when we were looking to buy a house last year. It has actually lived up to my expectations, unlike the horrible Comcast service at our last place.

Our Fios connection is reliable, other than a fiber cut once, it's been pretty solid for the past 5 years. We did have some issues with the first gen Actiontec they used to use, but since receiving the newer one, no issues at all.

The best I can do is 768k/6m (AT&T DSL). I've checked and the new house is going to have the same damn thing. FiOS isn't available at the new place and there are no cable companies servicing our area.

well I know how some of you feel.. I was stuck at 128k up and down for the longest time. Then Embarq offered us DSL up to 5meg down and 768k up... I jumped... now they have limited it in my area to only 3megs. I am fortunate though I argued with them long enough till they basically said I could keep it unless I had problems with it. So far (fingers crossed) its worked pretty much flawlessly.

Axdrenalin can chime in here.. hehe he knows all about the internet speeds in this area.

Yep my fios rocks tv,phone,internet $120 a month. with all the friggen add on taxes and fee's still a good deal though.

Well, the guys from TimeWarner just installed my Roadrunner Extreme service. It advertises garenteed speeds of 5Mbps upload and 30Mbps download. Speedtest.net shows that I am getting 4.96Mbps upload and 32.6Mbps download. Can't wait till the bigadv my folding rig just downloaded completes in about 4 days!

Back