Won't boot to Windows 10. Screen goes to sleep after splash screen. Help!!

tracer11LB

Weaksauce
So just build rig and here are the specs.

-skylake i7 6600
-Asus Maximus VIII HERO Alpha
-Kingston 120 SSD
-Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM
-G.Skill Ripjaws 2x8 gb DDR4 3200
-Asus Strix GTX 980 TI OC version
-Corsair H100 GTX
-EVGA 1000w PSU

Well everything is stock speed. Bios is the latest version from ASUS site. After I build it, everything was running fine for like 2 days, then I was just browsing the net and it crashed. When I rebooted it, 1 out of 10 boot, it would boot all the way up to windows desktop but the rest, it would go to the ROG splash screen (windows splash screen) then monitor just goes to sleep. but the PC is still on like nothing happens. I have to press on the power button to turn it off. I though it was the monitor so tried with a different monitor, Cables, same thing. Research online for awhile but could not find anything that works.

What I found out to work (boot up to windows consistently) was to shut down completely then flip the power switch in the PSU wait a few seconds then turn it back on and turn the PC on, then it will boot to windows 90% of the time.

Now it is getting annoying.... so if anyone has any ideas, I would be so greatful. Thanks.

Last edited:
bum psu maybe? its a good one but it can happen. that 1/10 times that it does not work maybe its not powering up the gpu correctly. or possible the same issue with the gpu itself. make sure all the cables are seated good, maybe reseat them. if you have access to another psu, even a 600-650w would do or a gpu to test with that would help ts'ing....

Unfortunately I don't have access to a different psu/gpu. I tried resitting the cables, even tried to plugin the gpu plug on a different connector in the psu but still the same. Another thing is i thought it would be a gpu driver issue so I tried downloading the latest driver for the gpu but still the same. Tried using the onboard graphics and still the same.

I will try to source out a different gpu/psu to test.

Note: its acctually, 1/10 it boots to windows and 9/10 that it doesn't.

Thanks for the reply Pendragon1.

Sorry misread that. Try clearing the bios and then disable all onboard devices, sound, Nic etc, and remove the hdd and gpu(assuming you have onboard Intel). Get the system down to absolute minimum, less things to cause issue. If you get any further, reinstall the gpu then re-enable devices one at a time. If not, i think you're gonna need parts to troubleshoot.

Ok, so I got it pretty much narrowed to the integrated graphics driver. I freshly installed Windows 10 a few times and could not figure out why i was having the same problem. On the last fresh install, I, one by one, installed the drivers and restarted the PC. When I got to the Integrated graphics card, then it started doing the issue i was having (monitor goes to sleep and have to hard reboot the PC). So what I did was, formated the SSD on a diffrent PC, then freshly installed the windows 10 again wth out installing the integrated graphics driver. It seems to work fine.

Now my question is why is it doing that? because now, when windows does a auto update, it updates all the drivers and I am back to the same issue that I had before.

Does anyone having this same issue? Am I doing something wrong? Any help is greatly appriciated. Thanks.

Something sounds odd here... Why are you installing the driver for the integrated graphics card? You should just turn that off in the BIOS and use the 980Ti to connect the monitors. Is the 980Ti even in right now or did you pull that out? Does it work fine using the 980Ti and disabling the iGPU?

Something sounds odd here... Why are you installing the driver for the integrated graphics card? You should just turn that off in the BIOS and use the 980Ti to connect the monitors. Is the 980Ti even in right now or did you pull that out? Does it work fine using the 980Ti and disabling the iGPU?

Why are you installing the driver for the integrated graphics card?---- I just let windows install all the drivers that it can find.

You should just turn that off in the BIOS and use the 980Ti to connect the monitors. ---- it is, at first when I first plugged in my 980ti, it automatically choose that and disable my iGPU. but I double check and it is still disabled.

Is the 980Ti even in right now or did you pull that out?----- I pulled it out to do the initial testing, but it is plugged in now and its been plugged in.

Does it work fine using the 980Ti and disabling the iGPU?------ The only time I had to use the iGPU was when i first got the motherboard and I was waiting for the 980ti in the mail. When I got the 980ti, that is what I have been using and it worked fine until the whole issue with the monitor going to sleep during windows boot.

Thanks for the quick reply by the way.

Disable the igpu in bios. You're system is using it as the primary display adapter. If you had switched you're monitor connector from the 980 to the onboard you'd probably get picture...

ok, checking that right now. I thought it was disabled before but i will double check.

If it goes blank again try switching between the 980's and onboard's connectors. See if any of them are active.

If it goes blank again try switching between the 980's and onboard's connectors. See if any of them are active.

I tried that and that did not work. It did not wake up the screen and when i try to restart it, (monitor connected to iGPU) it did not turn on the monitor.

I tried that and that did not work. It did not wake up the screen and when i try to restart it, (monitor connected to iGPU) it did not turn on the monitor.

Do you have an option to use different cables for the monitor? For example use a HDMI cable instead of DisplayPort?

ok, disabled it in the device manager. I will update the bios a little later. thanks again. will update what happens.

Alright, I think disabling the iGPU in the device manager did it. I also up dated the Bios but I dont think that helped much. I will keep an eye on it for a few days and hopefully no more issues.

Thanks alot guys for helping out. Will post back.

yeah, hope it keeps working. I leave the PC on 24/7, but been turning it on and off when I am done. So far everything is working good for 2 days (approximately about 20 on/off) in the past 2 days and hasn't ran into the issue. will keep testing for a week and post back.

again, thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. :)

Ok, so its been more than a week. Well it was working good until a couple of days ago. Everything was fine and the PC seems to be ok. It will power on and power off no problem. this weekend, I had a little bit of time, so I powered it up and nothing. It went back to the same problem as before. Nothing was change to my knowledge. I did not update any drivers (unless windows 10 is upgrading it in the background, which it shouldn't because I have auto update disabled). The PC settings has not change. All I did was shut the power off through windows start menu, then did not touch if for a day, then the next power up, same issue.

What I noticed though the last couple of times it did work, is that when I power it up, the PC powers up and it seems like it is turning on the monitor with a delay. What I mean is that, I don't see the bios flash because the monitor has not turned on. Sometimes its so delay that when the monitor turns on, the PC is already at windows. So I don't know if that make sense or if it has something to do with it but I thought I should mention it because it was not doing that before.

I would probably just take the whole thing apart, and restart over if I could not figure it out.

the igpu may have been updated. I have auto updates off but some still manage to get through some how.
what windows version you on? if you're running W10 insider, there was an update a couple days ago that could have caused it. I brought back issues I was having with xb360 controllers that had previously been fixed...
only other thing I can think of is to try a different monitor...

the igpu may have been updated. I have auto updates off but some still manage to get through some how.
what windows version you on? if you're running W10 insider, there was an update a couple days ago that could have caused it. I brought back issues I was having with xb360 controllers that had previously been fixed...
only other thing I can think of is to try a different monitor...

I am using Win 10 upgraded from a Win 7 pro version. I did not know there was an update. This sucks. This means I have to re format the SSD and re-install a fresh copy of windows 10. I don't know why this is happening. Is it a bad mother board?? There are a few guys here that almost have an identical setup as mine but seems like theirs are working ok.

no, the update was just for insider preview. its got to be an issue with the igpu conflicting. have you tried getting in touch with Asus?

That would be my next step. I'll try and get a hold of them and see what they say. Thanks for the help pendragon1. I'll post what happens.

Ok, spoke to an ASUS CS depertment, and they think its the GPU and put it in a different computer to test (plugged it in and see if I see stuff in the monitor). I told them that I dont have another PC to try it with and I told that that GPU works because monitor turns on and it will post all the way to window boot screen while it is plugged in the GPU. I guess I have to try it again on a different PC which is understandable. I also told them that I narrowed it down to the iGPU graphics but she just kinda blew that idea off.

One thing though that I don't understand is that she had me unplugged the GPU from the motherboard (which I have done before) and the had me plugged in the monitor to the motherboard and it works. I did this before and it did not work. So part of me kinda want to trust her and send my GPU for RMA. but at the same time, I really don't think its the GPU. I have to do a test on a different PC (which I have to find one) before I send it out for RMA.

Well, that kinda sucks, spending all this money on this build and haven't really had a chance to game on it.

she had me unplugged the GPU from the motherboard (which I have done before) and the had me plugged in the monitor to the motherboard and it works. I did this before and it did not work. So part of me kinda want to trust her and send my GPU for RMA. but at the same time, I really don't think its the GPU. I have to do a test on a different PC (which I have to find one) before I send it out for RMA.

its like the board is either ignoring the gpu and booting to the igpu or the gpu is not powering up correctly. try moving the card to another slot and reseat the power cables too. try clearing the cmos/bios again and let everything go to auto, then make sure the ipgu is disabled in the bios. other than that, yeah you'll need some parts or another system to trouble shoot further.

Here is something you could try.. Hook both the iGPU and 980ti outputs up at the same time. Attach iGPU via HDMI to HDMI input on the monitor and use the DVI out on the 980ti to the DVI input port on monitor. Boot the system. Have the monitor set to the DVI input. When/if you lose the display, switch the monitor input over to the HDMI input and see if you have the screen back. If you do, go to the display properties in windows and see if it detects two displays. If it does, I would almost guarantee it has picked your iGPU as "primary". Make your 980ti DVI connection primary, and switch back over to your DVI input. Reboot the system and see if that fixes the problem.

FYI: you may lose your display temporarily in the boot sequence depending on when Windows recognizes your 980ti as being the primary display. If you have UEFI installation, it will behave differently as the HAL is compiled/stored/and booted from when its enabled vs. generated at runtime when its not enabled.

its like the board is either ignoring the gpu and booting to the igpu or the gpu is not powering up correctly. try moving the card to another slot and reseat the power cables too. try clearing the cmos/bios again and let everything go to auto, then make sure the ipgu is disabled in the bios. other than that, yeah you'll need some parts or another system to trouble shoot further.

Thanks, I'll give that a try and see what happens.

Here is something you could try.. Hook both the iGPU and 980ti outputs up at the same time. Attach iGPU via HDMI to HDMI input on the monitor and use the DVI out on the 980ti to the DVI input port on monitor. Boot the system. Have the monitor set to the DVI input. When/if you lose the display, switch the monitor input over to the HDMI input and see if you have the screen back. If you do, go to the display properties in windows and see if it detects two displays. If it does, I would almost guarantee it has picked your iGPU as "primary". Make your 980ti DVI connection primary, and switch back over to your DVI input. Reboot the system and see if that fixes the problem.

FYI: you may lose your display temporarily in the boot sequence depending on when Windows recognizes your 980ti as being the primary display. If you have UEFI installation, it will behave differently as the HAL is compiled/stored/and booted from when its enabled vs. generated at runtime when its not enabled.

Thanks, H2R2P2. I'll give that a try. I have'nt acctually tried this one.

Likewise you can try to cycle Window's displays

Hold down 《Windows Key》
Press 《P》 *twice*
Release 《Windows Key》

This should cycle the displays to be in duplicate mode. Resolution would be funky but hopefully it will get you somewhere.

Hold down 《Windows Key》
Press 《P》 *twice*
Release 《Windows Key》

This should cycle the displays to be in duplicate mode. Resolution would be funky but hopefully it will get you somewhere.

Thank you. I will give that a try. Did not even think about that. It could work if what its doing is that it is switching the active display between the iGPU and the GPU.

Thanks for all the replies. I haven't had a chance to try any of it yet. been busy. But I will post the result once I get around trying it.

Ok, I got around trying this but when I looked at the back of my monitor, its and HDMI and a VGA ports. So just waiting for a VGA to DVI adapter to show up in the mail. I'll let you guys know how this one turns out.

Hold down 《Windows Key》
Press 《P》 *twice*
Release 《Windows Key》

Ok, tried this one and it did not do anything. When the PC booted to windows splash screen and the monitor went to sleep after (original issue), tried

Hold down 《Windows Key》
Press 《P》 *twice*
Release 《Windows Key》

Nothing happen. It did not wake up the screen at all.

Boo

Since you're waiting for that other cable anyway:

When the pc is in "sleep mode" try disconnecting the hdmi cable and re-connecting. You should get the "no signal" indicator on the monitor when the cable is disconnected. Any changes to the signal when things get plugged back in? I am thinking windows might auto detect a "new" monitor and will try to send signal to it.

Other than that, as Pendragon1 says, you're going to need some hardware to test further.

Btw: silly question. What colors are those power indicator led on the gpu when all this is happening?

Gookitron, Thanks for the reply. Yeah, Amazon/Seller sent me the wrong adapter. Waiting for the replacemenrt. Hopefully this weekend I will be able to go to a buddy's house and troubleshoot there. I get the "no signal" message right after the monitor shuts off. I have'nt tried unplugging it right away and re-plugging. Will give that a try. As far as the GPU color goes, are you talking about the STRIX logo (I think that is the only light on the GPU)? The STRIX LED color/behavior does not change. It just slowly glows on and off, like what it normally does when everything is normal.

Back