Won't boot after Arctic Silver 5

anutoshi

n00b
Hello Everyone,

In attempting to fix my son's PC (he was getting blue screens, corrupted registry and files, weird colored verticle lines on monitor at startup, p2p program crashing), I decided after using motherboard monitor that cpu temps from 54C idle to 63C load might be a bit high, I thought I'd replace the 4 year old Arctic Silver with the latest Arctic Silver 5, When I first wiped the old paste off the core, I got a small bit of it on the ceramic portion of the cpu, and having read that it could be slightly conductive, I used Goof Off and 91% alcohol (recommended on their website) to clean the core and the ceramic area around it. It looks fine. I applied the new paste, reassembled, switched on the power and I get the green light on the MB, the CD lighting up, no start up test beeps, nothing on the monitor, no access to bios. I've reset the CMOS, disconnected every peripheral, hard drives, etc. I had another duplicate MB by chance, I configured it and installed it and gained the hard drives powering up but everything I stated above remained the same. I feel the power supply is working fine. Did I short the CPU? Is there a definitive test to know that a CPU is fubared? A new Athlon XP 2400 is only about $70 but I'd like to know this one is truly shot before I spend more on a system that is, for all intents and purposes, somewhat ancient. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks Tom
Asus A7V266 E
3X256mg CORSAIR PC2400 DDR
Swiftech MCX 462 Heatsink
Sanyo Denki Fan
Swiftech Rheostat
Arctic Silver II
2XIBM 60GB 7200rpm Deskstar GXP Raid 0
Plextor 24X10X40 CD-RW IDE
Pioneer DVD-116 Atapi16X/40X
V8200 T5 Pure Geforce3 Ti500 Nvidia Titanium
Creative Audigy Platinum
250MB Zip Drive
3COM 3C905CXTM PCI 10/100
Teac FD235HF(704) 1.44MB
Sony CPD-G420S Monitor
MS Windows XP Pro Edition

have you tried cleaning the cpu off again? i doubt you killed it, just make an unintentional boo-boo somewhere in all that

Your sig is 9 lines too long.

Did you try a different video card? Or try the CPU in a totally different setup?

pull the actual processor out, and try re-seating it again. check for bent pins

In the words of the old ECW fans..

You F***ed up! You F***ed up!

No worries man. Take it all apart and try again.

Just cpu, memory, and video card. Out of the case. See if you can get it to boot.

I doubt that it was the CPU in the 1st place, you may want to check if the PSU or RAM are the things fooked up once you see if you didn't fook the CPU up :p

I think it is entirely possible that you damaged the core reinstalling the HSF. That's my own opinion, but given that it worked before, that seems a likely culprit, if everything else (loose cables, cards, etc) checks out.

Does the CPU smell burnt? Does the core look crushed? What heatsink was on it.

Core looks perfect, my heatsink is in my novel of a signature. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a new cpu, but one last quick question. I'm down to power supply connected to motherboard, processor installed with heatsink and fan, no peripherals, 95 % sure all jumpers are correct, hit power switch, get green light on motherboard, cpu fan turns and then absolutely nothing. Can I safely deduce that the problem is the cpu if the motherboard was new out of the box (assuming it is OK)? Thanks again Tom

sounds like something's shorting out. perhaps in the installation process you dropped a screw that's shorting out the mobo somewhere?

just in case, i'd take the whole thing apart, reassemble the bare minimum rig (pcu, mobo, cpu, ram, video card) on something non-conductive, and see if it boots up

I doubt the core died, get a brush, clean everything, clean everything again, double check, "borrow" a PSU if you can, try again.

(cf)Eclipse said:
sounds like something's shorting out. perhaps in the installation process you dropped a screw that's shorting out the mobo somewhere?

just in case, i'd take the whole thing apart, reassemble the bare minimum rig (pcu, mobo, cpu, ram, video card) on something non-conductive, and see if it boots up

Also, try resetting the CMOS.

Back