Wondering who has burnt up a S939 X2 cpu?

Has anyone actually burnt up a S939 dual-core cpu ?
Just out of curiosity, why do you ask?
I got into a bad car accident a year or two ago, and had a 3800+ in my pc at the time, and the impact of the crash caused the mounting pins on the cpu heat sink to basically explode (which I didn't notice).
When I finally arrived to my destination I set up my pc and eventually started gaming. After about 15-20 mins my pc started crashing and restarting and wouldn't stay booted. I was panicked that I had totally jacked up my system, but when I opened it the heat sink was just laying at the bottom broken. I was pretty surprised I didn't damage my CPU by running it oc'ed to 2.4ghz without a heat sink.

Lian-Li cases ftw :p The impact caused the case to become lodged into my dash (a V1000b w/ the beveled edges) however it did no damage to the case, only the dash :p
Sadly a Raptor HD was permanently damaged (and replaced for free :p ) and a 6600gt ate the dust as well :p

Had an Opty 185 with a Zalman 9700 on it. The fan sheared off at some point. I don't know how long it was still running (the computer was frozen but didn't shut down). Mounted a new heat sink and fired it right back up with no problems.

They shouldnt really burn up though. The thermal diodes (assuming aren't defective) should prevent damage to the cpu.

I ran a 3500+ O/Ced to 2.6 for a long time, and although my 4200+ replacement for it wouldn't clock as high they both went strong for a long time. My 4200+ is still running in a rig (I need to start folding!) and I even used El Cheapo coolers on both of them!

The 3500+ is now sitting in a cardboard box full of stuff, I need to slap it in a mobo and try and make it flame.

I have an opteron 148 that I ran at 2.75ghz @ anywhere between 1.525 and 1.54v, at constant full load (F@H) for about 19 months, still works, I am thinking about unlidding it actually. and I have my dual core 4200+ running at 2.85ghz all day for the last 11 months.

I doubt your going to find many fried AMD CPUs unless they were being suicide overclocked on phase or LN2, or of course physical damage. On air and water, A64 chips seem to go the distance if ran properly.

They shouldnt really burn up though. The thermal diodes (assuming aren't defective) should prevent damage to the cpu.

I was performing an unattended install of Windows XP on a brand new build with an X2 4800+.

Every time I returned, the PC had shut-down mid install, and XP was all screwed up. I reformatted the HDD and started again. Did this about 6 times before I got smart enough to stick around and see wth has going on.

About 5 minutes into XP install, the system just shut down. Restarted the board, and it shut down in less than 30 secs. Now, I'm pissed thinking I've got bum hardware.

That's when I noticed that the HSF was smoldering hot. Turned out that the fan wires were jammed in the fan blades. OOOPS!!

I'm not sure if it was the CPU or the Mobo that saved me, but I knew I was dang lucky that thermal protection existed! That system still ran like a champ once the fan blades were cleared.

I was playing around with a Duron 800 once and turned on the PC while I held my finger on the CPU Core, I had a nice square blister on my finger the next day. That was the only CPU I ever "Burned up" But I have chipped a core once also.
I have an opteron 148 that I ran at 2.75ghz @ anywhere between 1.525 and 1.54v, at constant full load (F@H) for about 19 months, still works, I am thinking about unlidding it actually.
With performance like that why would you want to mess with it?

I was playing around with a Duron 800 once and turned on the PC while I held my finger on the CPU Core, I had a nice square blister on my finger the next day.

Absolutely LMAO :D

I would ask you wth you were thinking, but I'm sure you'va asked yourself that same question time and again... :p

never had any problems with AMD X2's. Hell, I think they are cooler than the old P4 dual cores...

it still is a solid design for its time.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess,

YES - someone has actually burnt up a S939 dual-core cpu

but it wasn't me.

What do I win?

I still have an X2 3800+ running on my s939 DFI Ultra-D. It's not a great overclocker. 2.5GHz max but for now I'm at 2.4GHz.

Got it used, had it for about 1 year now. Pretty happy with it still.

Two opty 165's here, both overclocked to 2.4GHz for 3 years. No problems.

Good luck finding cases of actual burnt A64s.

I burnt one up..

You'll be amazed at what a propane torch can do for ya!

LOL, one time I forgot to put a heatsink on an Athlon XP rig, I got into BIOS, to OC it some (140FSB x 10.5), saved and exited, it just shut down.. I waited for about 20 minutes, and turned it back on.. looked in temps.. like 84c, and wasn't on more than 15 seconds! It didn't last past that BIOS entry. It shut off again, and I was like "oh shit".. I figured my fan wasn't plugged in, cause i didn't hear it. What do I realize.. the heatsink was on the desk, under some cables. The CPU was pronounced dead. Death of cause -->> no heatsink + overclock

I just recently killed an A64 3500+.

Got a used motherboard in the mail (from another [H]'er). Brought it to the test bench. Took the 3500+ and RAM from the system I had already set up on the bench.

Power the board... nothing. Reset BIOS... nothing. PCI code reader... FF (which translates to brain dead). OK, so motherboard must be junk.

Reassemble the original test rig, but it won't boot now. :eek: WTH??!!
Throw in a different cpu, and boots up. Now, I'm thinking "CRAP, that mobo fried my cpu!".

Well, I'm a stubborn SOB, so I grab an old 3000+ and shove it into the mobo in question. Well, wouldn't you figure it boots right up. Several CPU's later and that board still runs fine.

Granted this was not a temperature-fried CPU, but I still have no clue why that 3500+ "gave up the ghost". Oh well.

Strange. Are you sure the CPU is dead? You don't say which board caused the sudden chip death, but on most of the boards I have used post code FF indicates a successful POST.

However, if you tried BIOS reset a few times, then maybe it really is dead. Maybe electrostatic discharge?

I considered ESD as the culprit, but I am pretty cautious and work on an established workbench. Plus, there was very little handling of the cpu between boards.

Yeah, it's definitely dead though. :p

Mines still running solid. I managed to get it to prime stable at [email protected] for 24 hours however I had to run my ram at a slow speed to do that and I don't really like high voltage so I bumped it down to [email protected] for a long time until recently where my ac died on me and my computer was acting funny in the heat so I primed it and sure enough after about 20 minutes 1 core failed the test so I went down to [email protected] and just kept it at that since I really don't care about the 50mhz loss if it means my computer will stay stable even in a 90F degree room.

I still have an X2 3800+ running on my s939 DFI Ultra-D. It's not a great overclocker. 2.5GHz max but for now I'm at 2.4GHz.

Got it used, had it for about 1 year now. Pretty happy with it still.

I have one of these running in my second rig. Funny thing is that one core is always 10C hotter than the other one. Stock HSF and it's been seated properly several times. I don't recall the spreader being jacked up or not really flat but hey...who knows.

I've fried several Socket A processors but no 939 (or newer) YET! I say yet beucase I've got a 4400+ that has degraded over time. I can't OC it as high and needs more voltage at the lower speeds to remain stable.

With 939's it's more likely to see the board go bad then the CPU. Where I work we use 3200+ 939's and Nforce motherboards. The CPU's are always fine, but the motherboards always seem to burn out. It sucks cuz it's near impossible to find a replacment 939 board, everything is AM2. Hell, I still see 754 boards for sale. Why has everyone forgoten about 939?

I once let the magic smoke out of a Socket A. At least I *think* that's what went down as it seemed to me that the heat sink wasn't properly mounted... it could have been DOA for some reason (I never actually got it working, it started to post once, then never again).

However, I have a 4400+ 939 that I've never OCed (I actually meant to and never got around to it) and will likely try OCing it soon (tonight) as I just got back around to fiddling with the BIOS on that machine. It's been running for 2.5 years just fine, if I burn it out, I'll let you know!

Back