Wondering if there are any other AMVA panel fans out there?

alpharalpha

Weaksauce
I really like this panel--think most made by auo. It just feels right; I came to it looking for deep blacks which it delivers, but also just beautiful colors; good for both as a computer monitor as well as for movies etc. I just recently managed to find a 43" AMVA3, but wasn't easy. Just wondering what others think of this tech' as far as I know auo are the only ones still pursuing this panel type.

I really like this panel--think most made by auo. It just feels right; I came to it looking for deep blacks which it delivers, but also just beautiful colors; good for both as a computer monitor as well as for movies etc. I just recently managed to find a 43" AMVA3, but wasn't easy. Just wondering what others think of this tech' as far as I know auo are the only ones still pursuing this panel type.
I think that AMVA is only an AOU version of VA Panel.
There are lot of AMVA panels in production, if fact, totally 71 different 4K (3840x2160) models from 43" to 85".
https://www.panelook.com/resmodlist...te=1&display_mode_lc_family=2&brand_family=11

Finding TV:s and/or monitors using these panels is a totally different question...

Yeah. VA is VA. Just like the different names for IPS have the same characteristics.

I like VA for TV because of the high contrast, and sitting far enough away to not be bothered by Viewing angle shifts.

I like IPS for monitors, because sitting close I can't handle the VA viewing angle shifts...

I think that AMVA is only an AOU version of VA Panel.
There are lot of AMVA panels in production, if fact, totally 71 different 4K (3840x2160) models from 43" to 85".
https://www.panelook.com/resmodlist...te=1&display_mode_lc_family=2&brand_family=11

Finding TV:s and/or monitors using these panels is a totally different question...
I was looking for 1920x1080 and it was finding a larger monitor/tv that had an amva panel inside what was difficult; this 43" NEC specified AMVA3.

I find gamma shift even on good VA panels unacceptable and ruining blacks for me and gamma shift on bad VA panels is so bad I cannot fathom how they even passed QC and did not get -1 points in reviews...

Actually AUO produced one of the worst VA panels ever. Thankfully they improved a lot in recent years. I would however to be wary of this quality difference and do not blindly recommend random A-MVA monitors to people without doing some serious research. If possible check reviews which do photos of subpixel structure. Anything with S-PVA pixel structure should have improved viewing angles to the level you expect
2672173433_071641aa3f_o.jpg
On the left is the original MVA pixel structure and on the right S-PVA-like pixel structure. It is visibly worse for font rendering and this is its flaw but even considering that flaw it is better type. Most new AUO A-MVA based monitors/TV's should have this pixel structure but it is not guaranteed.

I have 8 devices with IPS panels and nothing with VA or TN, one PDP (plasma) and one S-AMOLED phone (my main phone has 2560x1600 IPS panel though and I love it). If not for plasma I would rather get IPS HDTV. When I compared VA TV's to Panasonic IPS HDTV I liked the latter better. I went with plasma and despite its own quirks it at least has perfect viewing angles.

Back