Wonder if EA will get the hint yet?

Today internet history was made. EA has the highest downvoted comment in Reddit history. Currently sitting at just over -500k downvoted.

It all started over a guy who was pissed he payed $80 for SWBF2 only to find out that Darth Vader will require purchase or upwards of 40 hours of gameplay to even be a playable character.
Below is their response:
Screenshot_2017-11-13-17-47-18.jpg

This has led to massive uproar and people being upset. One developer is reporting receiving death threats.

How long until this bubble finally bursts?

Feels like to me that they are preaching how useful their right hands are WHILE eating their right hands still attached to their arms.

It would have been a valid response if Vader was either 40H unlock char or a paid char, but not when it's both, especially not the way he writes it.

I am not sure why the original poster is mad at it being an unlockable (I would find 40 hours of play time unlock to be perfectly fair IMHO), but the response is a little face palmy.

Whether they'll learn their lesson, as long as the money is acceptable to them, I honestly don't think they think there is any lessons to be learned. After all, companies only ever follows the money.

Last edited:
Reactions: N4CR
like this
I am not sure why the original poster is mad at it being an unlockable (I would find 40 hours of play time unlock to be perfectly fair IMHO), but the response is a little face palmy.

Because hey paid a premium price for a game, $80, to have content locked behind a pay wall or am unrealistic goal. Most people were saying if it took say 2-3 hours to unlock that would have been near acceptable.

EA, Activision, Ubisoft, and many others keep pushing the people who are paying for the product closer to the edge. It's only a matter of time before they pay a little to far and send them off the cliff.

Others have noted as well since Disney owns the rights to Starwars will they want this massively negative PR that is sure to come with this.

Well nobody can arguevthey only due what's best for their wallets, but there has to be a breaking point.

Eventually, but until that point is reached publishers are going to keep pushing things. Considering how much money these tactics bring in they will be around for a long time.

Well nobody can arguevthey only due what's best for their wallets, but there has to be a breaking point.
Breaking point? Star Wars still sells games and movies. People still defend Rogue One, a mediocre film product that made serious money. The most profitable Battlefield mod will continue to sell, and sell well. This isn't the Xbox One, where the whole console was overpriced and underpowered from the get-go, nevermind their "anticonsumer features" (which MSFT did a complete 180 on). This is a well polished, licensed game being sold for $60, right before a major film event (STAR WARS Episode 8) and in the thick of the holiday season.

He doesn't seem to mean the franchise, but rather the business practice.

Is this about multiplayer or single player? Do the servers empty out, otherwise they could just wait to buy it for much less next summer?

Now 75% price drop for Vader and Luke?

I would like to think eventually the hammer will drop, but sadly there are thousands of people out there that will buy this shit regardless, and even vehemently defend EA's anti-consumer, anti-gamer bullshit, against their own best interests.

So, we'll see, but I'm not holding my breath. I will just continue to not buy these games.

I refunded Battlefront II. Kind of sad, I was really looking forward to it. I pre-ordered it the day they said they weren't going to fragment the playerbase with paid DLC maps like they did with the first one. Normally I'm not one to mindlessly join the internet hordes - if you look back far enough in my history, you can find posts defending MW2 after they announced no dedicated servers, and I still think that one was the most fun I had in a COD game - but the truth is that I've only put a total of 5 hours into the first Battlefront (purchased on sale, but not a great sale), and 10 hours into BF1 (that was a pre-order). Just not worth it at that price, especially if it takes 40 hours to get to the point where you're deadly.

yes they will get the hint...the more people talk about the game (good or bad) the more $$ they rake in

Is this about multiplayer or single player? Do the servers empty out, otherwise they could just wait to buy it for much less next summer?

Now 75% price drop for Vader and Luke?

Yes, they cut the cost of in-game unlocks for the characters by 75%. It was 60,000 to unlock Vader and now it's 15,000. However, I believe there are rank requirements that go with that. I don't know off hand what those are. I don't remember it being all that outlandish. I'll have to look.

Last edited:
The sad thing, is that they will still look at how well they are able to monetize this game, and any game going forward and base their decisions off that. Even with massive vocal hate around the internet, the liklihood is that EA will still make bank of this title and its microtransactions because people are suckers and this wont ever stop.

I don't mind having the ability to purchase content as long as that same content can be acquired in the game without purchasing it.

A few years ago when Battlefield Hardline came out, I bought the standard edition. I then found out that the weapon in the deluxe version can only be obtained with the purchase of the Deluxe version.
I wanted to see if the gun was any good so I went ahead and bought the Deluxe version as well, weapon was decent, but not worth the $20 extra for the Deluxe version, so I went ahead and requested a refund for the Deluxe version.
After they gave me my refund, I went and played the game and I still had that weapon from the Deluxe version. I was like, sweet, a free gun, lol.

origin-games.jpg

I gave up on anything EA and multiplayer with BF4, never again, shooters are dead to me.

Nope, EA did not get the hint at all. They're pulling a DNC and doubling down on the stupid. I posted this in the Anthem thread, but they took the article down and I neglected to archive it. It was basically the CFO of EA saying that they are expanding live services and subscriptions to all of their future products to enable "uncapped monetization" from its consumers. I guess EA didn't like this being out there with everyone focused on the shitshow that is Battlefront 2 right now.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...us-subscriptions-equals-uncapped-monetization

EDIT: Nope, they just changed the 'z' in "monetization" in the link to an 's'.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...us-subscriptions-equals-uncapped-monetisation

Archive, just in case:
https://archive.fo/Euldo

EDIT 2: Nope, autocorrect just changed the URL...

Last edited:
500k people out of the expected 14 million to be sold in the first five months (per a quick google search/gamerant.com) are upset. If I can still do math, that is 3.5% voicing concern. EA doesn't care. There will be 13.5 million other people buying the game. And I bet some of those 500k complaining still buy the game too.

Nope, EA did not get the hint at all. They're pulling a DNC and doubling down on the stupid. I posted this in the Anthem thread, but they took the article down and I neglected to archive it. It was basically the CFO of EA saying that they are expanding live services and subscriptions to all of their future products to enable "uncapped monetization" from its consumers. I guess EA didn't like this being out there with everyone focused on the shitshow that is Battlefront 2 right now.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...us-subscriptions-equals-uncapped-monetization

EDIT: Nope, they just changed the 'z' in "monetization" in the link to an 's'.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...us-subscriptions-equals-uncapped-monetisation

Archive, just in case:
https://archive.fo/Euldo

EDIT 2: Nope, autocorrect just changed the URL...
A public company demonstrating they believe that profit > people.

The stock has to plummet and their quarterly reports have to see significant impact otherwise no, they won't get any hints and they will continue on as the arrogant, overbloated Borg like juggernaut that they have become.

People need to stop buying their games. It doesn't matter how much bitching and whining happens otherwise.

Speaking of which, anyone try BF2 yet? Think I'll play this with my cousin.

The stock has to plummet and their quarterly reports have to see significant impact otherwise no, they won't get any hints and they will continue on as the arrogant, overbloated Borg like juggernaut that they have become.

People need to stop buying their games. It doesn't matter how much bitching and whining happens otherwise.
Mass Effect Andromeda is and will be the last EA game I purchase. Really, Bioware games are the only things EA had that still interested me, but after Andromeda they are dead to me. Fuck 'em. Take Two can also suck an exhaust pipe for all I care. Bethesda is on its last legs after the Creators Update.

Breaking point? Star Wars still sells games and movies. People still defend Rogue One, a mediocre film product that made serious money. The most profitable Battlefield mod will continue to sell, and sell well. This isn't the Xbox One, where the whole console was overpriced and underpowered from the get-go, nevermind their "anticonsumer features" (which MSFT did a complete 180 on). This is a well polished, licensed game being sold for $60, right before a major film event (STAR WARS Episode 8) and in the thick of the holiday season.

People thought Rogue One was bad? I think it's the best Star Wars movie out at the time of this posting.. TFA was an insult to SW fans everywhere imo.

But anyways on topic. Good to see EA stopping the pay2getitem ways.. Hopefully other popular games like LoL and HotS and stuff do the same. I hope these haters take there pitchfolks there too. But I am sure they won't.. Cause they just like to bash EA cause.. It's EA nothing more.

I don't mind having the ability to purchase content as long as that same content can be acquired in the game without purchasing it.

Well, a lot of free to play games allow you to get the same content without purchasing it, eventually. That's the problem though. How many hours are you going to really put towards a game? If it was only one or two characters, sure, 40 hours to unlock that one would be fine. But way too many games now require thousands of hours (if not tens of thousands) to unlock everything, which is absurd. For me, I'd have to place a cap at around 200 hours of game time. If you can't unlock everything within that time, it's a greedy business model.

Ars said:
Venturebeat cites "sources familiar with the situation" in reporting that the major change comes after Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson conducted a phone call with Disney CEO Bob Iger about the game.
They got the attention of Daddy Disney. The last thing you want to do is piss them off.

It's nice and all, but this is just to sucker people in for the launch. I'm sure they'll bring them back shortly with little to no change. Maybe allow people to buy certain items instead of gambling for them. In my view, the only way for them to turn this around is to get rid of the loot boxes altogether.

After they get done making BF WWII I'll give them another chance they should just scrap BF WW II

I still think a decent solution is to offer the game for free (with unlimited spending on loot boxes and such) or $60-80 with everything. Give people a choice based on what they think they'll end up spending.
I only hate paid content when it's on top of the $60 I already dropped. Video game prices haven't gone up in like 30 years so if they're really in deep need of $ - maybe it's time to charge $10-20 more per game instead of shooting for the moon with paid DLC.

That last mass effect game was my hope of redemption for EA and it was my last straw never again but maybe in a few years but im getting more prone to resist as i get older..

Back