Women Who Play Games Shun ‘Gamer’ Label

news flash -- calling a woman anything other than what she approves of in her mind is offensive.

Call her pretty -- offensive
call her a gamer -- offensive
call her a bitch -- offensive

and when nobody wants to hang out with her or date her, she has no earthly idea WHY.

From those numbers that means the majority of men who play games don't label themselves as "gamer" either. Maybe most people just think there is more to their identity than a single hobby?

They want to be worshiped by the "gamer" boys but not one of them all the while getting rough rode by Alpha jock. Once they need a beta to pay for their love child they can have their pick of beta orbiters pay for it.

Probably because of those interviewed, the percentage who didn't aren't gamers. Duh...

Playing stupid shit on your phone doesn't make you a gamer.

Perhaps media perception has a lot to do with how the term 'gamer' is perceived?

Or perhaps because most self-proclaimed grown-ups see 'gamers' as immature and childish, and that boozing oneself is the grown-up's way of having fun...

Explains both drinking problems and the vicious cycle of the term.

The movies always shows the gamer as a fat loser living at their moms basement with no job and no future. lol

A gamer implies that someone is a gaming enthusiast, and spends a considerable amount of their time/resources towards that hobby, something that is unicorn level of uncommon among females.

This, although it is becoming more common. Most girls I know who game do so because their boy friend plays games. They hardly play games alone and don't pick up new games unless their bf/husband gets them into it. For most it just seems to be an activity to get closer to someone they like, but won't engage in the activity on their own. On the other hand most guys decide to play lots of games on their own.

I've always shunned the term gamer.

I'm a 35 year old male, who has played games since I was at least 6 years old, and has had my own PC with games since I was 10.

I've always hated the term gamer, because playing games does not define me. I also watch movies, but it doesn't define me as a "movie" . I drink tons of coffee, but I am not a "coffeer"

I'm a normal, well adjusted adult who does many things, including play games, and none of them define me or label me.

Gamer usually means "hardcore gamer" not "filthy casual." Most women don't have the personality-type for the former. Anyway, unless the woman is making moves in terms of marketing herself as a "gamer girl," they usually don't want that label attached to them unnecessarily.

This thread makes me question how many of the guys responding in here have actually met real-life women...

I'm a proud gamer and I know lots of other women who are like-minded. We love games, grew up with them and are more than happy to associate ourselves with it :)

This thread makes me question how many of the guys responding in here have actually met real-life women...

I'm a proud gamer and I know lots of other women who are like-minded. We love games, grew up with them and are more than happy to associate ourselves with it :)

So you have a lot of women who shoved you in the friend zone? Congrats.

So you have a lot of women who shoved you in the friend zone? Congrats.

She's "a girl," but not representative of most women at all. So I don't really see her point.

You didn't get banned for the spoiler? You must have friends in high places.

In my years as a fan of games on the PC platform I have met, known and dated many girls. I even married (and later divorced) one of them. Only one of them, back in my Counter-Strike days in College (whom I never dated) had any interest in games (outside of the likes of Farmville and candycrush)

Most women seem to see video games (or car enthusiasm, or really any interest outside of work and taking care of them home and kids) as childish play/escapism and a waste of time when there are more important things to do.

To them, a man worth being with is supposed to be fulfilled entirely by work and family and nothing else.

My fiance falls in this category but "light". She knows I still play games, and is OK with it. I just tend to do it when she is not around or sleeping, in order to not rub it in.

Zarathustra[H];1042042906 said:
In my years as a fan of games on the PC platform I have met, known and dated many girls. I even married (and later divorced) one of them. Only one of them, back in my Counter-Strike days in College (whom I never dated) had any interest in games (outside of the likes of Farmville and candycrush)

Most women seem to see video games (or car enthusiasm, or really any interest outside of work and taking care of them home and kids) as childish play/escapism and a waste of time when there are more important things to do.

To them, a man worth being with is supposed to be fulfilled entirely by work and family and nothing else.

My fiance falls in this category but "light". She knows I still play games, and is OK with it. I just tend to do it when she is not around or sleeping, in order to not rub it in.
Some studies I have seen seem to conclude that men on average tend to be more single-minded and more prone to addictions as a result. It could very well be that this has an effect on their interaction level with video games as well.

While I call myself a gamer, I don't play games just for the experience, but see it more as a medium which is at its most interesting when it has a purpose. There has to be a point to what I am doing in a game, whether it is to experience the story, learn new skills or simply explore new ideas.

She's "a girl," but not representative of most women at all. So I don't really see her point.

Do I really have to honour this comment with a response? I think it's pretty self-evident what the problem is with it.

Do I really have to honour this comment with a response? I think it's pretty self-evident what the problem is with it.

Statistics is about trends, not how special you think you are.

Hurr-durr you don't know any women because my girlfriends and I are all gamers doesn't really mean anything.

Statistics is about trends, not how special you think you are.

Hurr-durr you don't know any women because my girlfriends and I are all gamers doesn't really mean anything.

I'm gonna have to agree with you on this. The numbers in the article (6% of women who play games that would fall into the "gamer" label of titles are willing to adopt the identity) are very telling of opinions of how normal girls feel about trying to proudly wear that identity. Even among men, it's very unappealing to admit to that sort of thing. There's huge social stigma associated with it. The moment someone utters the words, "I'm a gamer," among normal people, they're pretty much done for when it comes to being taken seriously. When a woman does it, she's just asking for unwanted conversation surrounding things like explaining what happens when she speaks in voice chat in multiplayer stuff or, even worse, having to then fend off the nerd guys that suddenly dote over some fantasy idea they already had built in their mind about their perfect "gamer girl" mate having just thrown herself in their BO-stink lap by not showing disapproval over playing video games. I'm only speaking in general terms here, but the less often you talk about video games to other people, the better your social interaction tends to be because of who you connect with when avoiding that particular hobby (which also applies to anything to do with cars and anything to do with professional sports as well).

Zarathustra[H];1042041375 said:
I've always hated the term gamer, because playing games does not define me. I also watch movies, but it doesn't define me as a "movie" . I drink tons of coffee, but I am not a "coffeer"

I'm a normal, well adjusted adult who does many things, including play games, and none of them define me or label me.
You can be multiple labels. I am a gamer, but I am also into motorcycles and ride religiously and so am a biker too. I'm sure Jared had lots of hobbies, but because he likes kids he's a pedophile. ;)

Being a gamer doesn't mean you can't have other hobbies. And, dude, use your words... if you are huge into movies too, as in you know all the directors, the actors, where the films were shot, and really get into it, then you're a cinephile (not a "movie").

Back