Woman Wearing Google Glass Attacked In Bar

A modest proposal

I am not going to advocate violence, but as a culture it is clear that we need to shame this behavior. I propose everyone present a stiff middle finger to any google glass they see, for as long as it is gazing on them. I think if that really caught on people would get sick of it and quit.

I propose everyone present a stiff middle finger to any google glass they see

Yeah and if you already had the misfortune to buy one in a land that obviously isn't keen about the use of google glass
and you feel you can get beaten, mugged, insulted or even shot wearing one i wouldn't mind to take that burden from ya; Hell i will even upload the footage of my local punk bar as a token and then some:D

She was demonstrating the glasses to the bartender, hmm, think maybe while demonstrating she demonstrated herself recording the two chicks that came over and confronted her over it?
Think maybe that was sorta how it went?
Does that sound at all like a reasonable explanation of how this shit started?

i might be wrong here, since im not a student of the US law

but as far i know you can be filmed at any time and any public place and the pub is public

You think?
VonGriffin, I am just curious, but have you reached a point in your life where you work for say, Corporate America so to speak? You know, you got a job and pull in say, at least 65K, got a wife and kids, a home, (mortgaged or not), you know, the usually collection of responsibilities and sundry collectables?

i fail to see how my financial or marital status has anything to do with the subject at hand. For the sake of the argument im just a bum with an access to the internet

That woman did nothing legally wrong, that was just another case of taking matters into their own hands pack mentality

last time a retired cop shot someone in the cinema because he was using a phone, next time it will be google glass; but hey you feel your privacy has been saved for another day in a country where NSA prolly even listens how people take a dump

i might be wrong here, since im not a student of the US law

but as far i know you can be filmed at any time and any public place and the pub is public

Yea, it's legal (although it's starting to be questioned). I don't think people are questioning the legality of it, nor are they saying the fighting was legal. Just that the response to someone filming you without your permission is not going to be a very passive one most of the time. Sure, if you're in the background of someone filming, you don't care. But, if you're the subject of the filming, you're going to be rightfully wondering why and wtf is going on. Some people take great offense to it, others are most passive.

I don't know how she was acting, or filming or whatever, but if people thought they were being filmed, that could go south quick. Even if they started with a simple and polite question "Are you filming me?" and she said something snarky or even "I'm filming everything!" all chipper. I don't know the situation, but I know it would be pretty tough of a situation. One that I would try and avoid.

Agreed, The more people I run into wearing it the less enthusiastic I am too see it. The tech is awesome, but people suck. We (the general public) cant be trusted to act in good faith, unfortunately.

“She was running around very excited … and people were telling her, ‘you’re being an *** take those glasses off.”

Sounds like either 1) She had a few too many to drink or 2) She is the WAY wrong type of crowd for that area with or without Google glasses.

I do find like that she uploaded a video inside the bar, but not of the altercation that lead up outside. While from a legal standpoint she didn't deserve to get hit, maybe she did some shit that made her seem like she SHOULD have been hit. It's like paparazzi getting in the face of celebs, yeah they're celebs but back the fuck off a bit, someone is literally in my face saying they're recording me, and I ask her to stop, my next step might be to rip that shit off her head if she doesn't, regardless of how legally wrong it might be. I wouldn't punch her, I wouldn't take her purse, but grabbing the glasses and tossing them on the roof of the place... yup.

If you wear a video camera on your face in a bar, you deserve to be harassed for it.

Fighting in general is for stupid people and even though I think Google as a company should totally die in a fire for all their scammy Trojan stuff they're doing to society, that's no excuse to beat up someone. Still though, I hope this works as a warning to anyone who's an awful enough human being to buy and wear Google Glass to stop wearing it in public or around other people. Seriously, there should be laws that ban the use of cameras except for government employees doing legitimate work. Putting a camera on every single device is a stupid dumb head thing to do.

One of these days, Google is going to announce StreetView 2.0. Using video from all the Google Glass wearers, you'll have a lot more coverage and a lot more views. Public areas only, of course.

I wouldn't hit her or smack her or whatever, but I'm a pretty gentle guy. I'd tell her it wasn't cool and she should turn them off or whatever, but that would be it. There are a lot more people out there that would get a bit more upset than I, though.

yeah i bet she asked for it that google glass wearing wench

Wearing the device? No. Jumping in your face screaming "HEY I'M RECORDING YOU" "OOOH LOOK AT THAT, I'M POSTING THIS ON MY YOUTUBE PAGE" "HEY LOOK HE'S TRYING TO HIT ON THAT GIRL THAT'S FUNNY"...

then yeah

Here's an easy solution.
Just allow businesses to designate themselves as a no Glass area.
Just post the following sign above the entrance:
You get caught with Glass, you're out on your ass.
That way, some ditz pulls Glass out and starts recording, NO ONE feels sorry as she takes a bar stool to the face or gets beaten half to death by an enraged midget with a pool stick.

Some people are really too full of themselves... Glass only has ~1 hour of battery life when recording video. What makes people think that their lives are so interesting that it is worth wasting battery life to film them as random strangers?

its interesting really

every time you hear of news like those, when someone got assaulted in one form or another because he wasn't doing something that was illegal but rather what is to some considered rude or a danger to their personal space, you always get two types of responses from our American friends as seen in this thread:

-violence as a deterrent, to show the rest how to behave, righteous self justice

-not advocating violence but.....if you are filming people in public you might get a violent "response"; just like a woman wearing a mini skirt might get raped scenario

the irony might got lost to me, if we where not talking about a country who moves to one surveillance fiasco to another

Yea, some guy comes up and rips the glasses of a girl I'm with? I would beat his ass to.

And nowhere does it say she was recording.... Why does everyone assume that people with google glass are recording at all times?

Quote from the article for people too lazy to actually read it before replying:
"But then, the witnesses said some people inside the bar got upset about the possibility of being recorded by the glasses."

Actually, from the article, it seems to imply she was only being verbally abused before the guy she was with "retaliated with fists". But either way, I defend my friends in a bar fight even when my friends were the ones who started it, that's what friends are for... getting you in to fights because they are idiots when drunk :D Doesn't change the fact the friend is an idiot for starting a fight.

At the end of the day, I think people just don't want to be recorded all the time and having a recording device strapped to your head is a bad idea. Even if they're prescription glasses, I'd be having a 2nd pair on me to swap out when I go in to a bar or in to a board room meeting or whatever.

Being recorded all the time sucks, just ask those paparazzi who get beaten up by famous people.

Here's an easy solution.
Just allow businesses to designate themselves as a no Glass area.
Better still designate the themselves as a no-video area. Don't even pick out glass owners, every fucking body who thinks that "ooh look at this fancy drink or plate of chicken wings I need to post a picture of it on my facebook!

Truth is, there is no expectation of privacy in a public place.

In places like these anyone can legally record you or take pictures, perfectly legally, and then use the pictures audio or video any way they see fit, without any input or permission from you.

This is the law.

The only exception is that they can not do it for commercial purposes, like putting you in an ad without your consent. As long as it is for news purposes, there is no expectation of compensation, and the courts tend to come down on the side of artists who sell their artwork containing photographs and videos as well.

This also raises a philosophical question. How, exactly, do you define a "recording?"

If I see an event and remember it, does that count? I can run back the event to myself at-will, and recount it to those around me. Eye-witness accounts are good enough to count as legal evidence. Is this not a recording?

What if we start considering medical optics, like those being tested on the blind? The camera built into their glasses is literally the ONLY way they can see, and the video feed is being sent (and "recorded"?) by the patient's brain.

Such a device could have external memory storage as well, you'd never really know, and I'm not so sure the distinction even matters.

Zarathustra[H];1040656805 said:
The only exception is that they can not do it for commercial purposes, like putting you in an ad without your consent.
One might argue that if she's a blogger, she might be bringing in some sort of ad revenue and as such she is doing it for commercial purposes. Or if she's a "fancy" youtube user where she gets paid based on number of views, she also is receiving compensation for it.

This also raises a philosophical question. How, exactly, do you define a "recording?"
Easy, recording is the act of storing sound or visual images on a medium that allows replay to a third party. Voila, philosophical problem solved.

Unless you have a USB3 output on your brainz, you're good to go.

Easy, recording is the act of storing sound or visual images on a medium that allows replay to a third party. Voila, philosophical problem solved.

Nope, no brains allowed either! :mad:

Already covered that. I can repeat things I've viewed with my eyes and recorded in my brain.

Furthermore, information recorded and repeated in this manner is permissible as evidence in court. Obviously the line isn't so clear.

Apparently a USB output isn't needed. Like I said, I already covered this point.

Back