Woman Looking at Apple Watch Found Guilty of Distracted Driving

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Chupachup

Chupachup Limp Gawd

Based on this, I've been breaking the law for decades as I checked my REAL watch and fiddled with the radio and flipped CDs in and out- all while stopped. Beyond ridiculous!

2. Incontentia Buttocks

Incontentia Buttocks [H]Lite

You sir, are either (a) not old enough to drive; (b) a troll; (c) an idiot.

Possibly all three.

GoldenTiger, vegeta535 and auntjemima like this.
  3. rezerekted

rezerekted 2[H]4U

If that is considered distracted driving then so should looking at the GPS display also be.

4. /dev/null

/dev/null [H]ardForum Junkie

or the radio...

5. DKS

DKS Limp Gawd

The evidence in Ontario suggests otherwise. The stupid are those who continue to engage in distracted driving, becoming the singular highest cause of accidents in the province, above everything else. Not the laws. Evidence supports the law. Calling it stupid is, well, stupid. Here is more information. Ontario's laws are similar to distracted driving laws in other provinces across Canada. https://www.thinkinsure.ca/insurance-help-centre/distracted-driving-in-ontario.html

6. DKS

DKS Limp Gawd

In Canada, it is.

auntjemima likes this.
  7. aokman

aokman Gawd

So what does advertising on the side of the road / billboards = then?

8. DKS

DKS Limp Gawd

Same thing. Notice how little of it there is, though?

auntjemima likes this.
  9. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ [H]ardForum Junkie

that's what happens when you have 3 times the debt of california and a third the population.

you gotta make non-sensical laws to increase revenue to pay the bloated public sector to attempt to make ends meet.

10. NickM

NickM Limp Gawd

Nah, we're just like the U.S. in that regard. Guilty until proven innocent. Big difference is we don't shoot people when they "resist" arrest like they do in the U.S. :)

Stop resisting...stop resisting, while the person is rolling around on the ground from a taser shot. LOL...

Sure-because that's how things are here in the US-everyone is guilty till proven innocent and cops go around shooting people for no reason whatsoever.
    FFS :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    auntjemima likes this.
  11. One2Zero

One2Zero n00b

https://www.coastaletech.com/synclockpick.htm

Fixed that issue with this.

12. kirbyrj

kirbyrj [H]ard as it Gets

If you really believe that is what happens, you're just proving the whole notion of fake news. Tens of thousands of people have police interaction every day and a small fraction have any issues at all, usually from their own stupidity. God forbid the police actually enforce traffic laws :rolleyes:.

GoldenTiger and DKS like this.
  13. MMitch

MMitch Gawd

Who said it was an issue ? I think it's normal that those be deactivated and dealers should do a routine check to find whom tinkered with this.
    Anyway, I suppose some will never learn.

14. aokman

aokman Gawd

Come to Australia. Freeways are covered in advertising.

15. DKS

DKS Limp Gawd

Guess you don't know much about Canada. And no, this doesn't raise money. It is intended to reduce collisions, reducing health care costs.

16. Master_shake_

bullshit.

and dropping speed limits in ontario isn't about health and health and safety either.

is the law

is a watch hand held? nope bluetooth.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/distracted-driving

they judge these things as to not set a precedent and make "loopholes" for other people to use.

like retrying that lady for stunt driving after she won.

so in closing bloated public sector nonsensical laws and bullshit judgements.

also by their own admission

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/do-distracted-driving-laws-cover-smartwatches-1.2769209

i mean she was looking at the time right?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  17. Vader1975

Vader1975 Gawd

This is actually why I think they will make people-driven cars illegal eventually. In a system where everything is synced then all the cars start going forward at once like a train. They will claim congestion and throughput is hurting the local economy and we would loose less time and make more money in x location and then poof we will lose the right to drive ourselves. I'm not saying this is next week. But eventually, it will happen. Sad though.

18. Exavior

Exavior [H]ardForum Junkie

Based on this you also have an issue with reading, so put that on the list.

19. DKS

DKS Limp Gawd

Having seen the public health data, it is.

A GPS isn't hand held. Neither is a tablet. But using them is still illegal while driving. You just don't like to be told not to do something that puts other people at high risk and is the leading cause of collisions in Ontario. If there is any conspiracy argument it might be that this issue is being driven by the insurance lobby who want to increase profits. Me? I'd rather see it as saving lives.

20. Master_shake_

She was looking at the time.

Prove she wasn't.

Also no it's not about health and safety. Get over it.

21. Olle P

Olle P Limp Gawd

No you wouldn't. Instead you'd get a serial collision as the first driver (with the intent to turn left) hits the brakes again after rolling into the crossing.

22. Kongar

Kongar Gawd

Two pages of media circus and people still fall for it. I love how the media twists every story for ratings & clicks. She was distracted, while driving. Enough to make a cop notice her distracted behavior. Therefore - distracted driving - and a ticket. The fact that she was playing with a watch was irrelevant per the details (buried) in the article. But the headline “woman gets a ticket for distracted driving” is not as sensational as “woman gets a ticket for using a smart watch while driving”.

How’s that old nightly news saying go? If it bleeds, it leads?

23. Chupachup

Chupachup Limp Gawd

Comprehension might be added to yours.

24. freeloader1969

freeloader1969 2[H]4U

Half the traffic laws are nothing more than cash grabs.

25. kirbyrj

So distracted driving laws shouldn't be enforced?

26. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

If we banned everything that can be used to do stupid shit we won't even have a stone flint to fall back on.

So looking at your FREAKING clock or even phone at a red light should be fine. It's not a solution to ban everything that some stupid idiot got hurt by once somewhere.

27. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

In the UK they can do you in for drink driving even for having the keys to a car when you're drunk. It's called being in charge of a motor vehicle. Completely stupid. You shouldn't be considered a driver until you put the car in gear and start moving it.
    Hell after christmas parties I used to idle the car to not freeze my ass off, and to defrost the window while waiting for my driver. Am I a drink driver then?

It's the same insidious strechinging of law they use to fine you for looking at your phone when the car is stationary.

28. Uvaman2

Uvaman2 2[H]4U

I think us is the same though.

29. kirbyrj

They look for "operational control" as in you have the ability to move the vehicle. If you're in the driver's seat, you're a drunk driver. If you're in the back seat, you're not a drunk driver.

30. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

I understand how they define it. It's still asinine.

Provided its not improperly parked or blocking traffic or something, there should be no way you can get in trouble with traffic laws in a vehicle that is not moving.

31. kirbyrj

Unfortunately, MADD convinced legislators that your opinion is the asinine one.

32. Zarathustra[H]

I'm as opposed to drunk driving as anyone, but a charge of drunk driving should actually have to - you know - involve driving.

33. BSmith

BSmith [H]ard|Gawd

I got rear ended by someone because the person in front of me was "checking thier shit" at a red light which had turned green. The person who hit me was remorseful but did not understand why I was just sitting there at a green light.

A fine? Take away their damn drivers licensse and tow their car! I am sick of the clueless arseholes screwing up traffic.

1) My car radio is never turned on.
    2) I only program my GPS unit before I start out on a trip. Never have to look at it as the verbal instructions are very clear and concise.
    3) My A/C is permanently set and never has to be touched.
    4) I never look at anyone in my car. I rarely engage in conversation with them.
    5) I never use my cell phone while in the car.

I wish cars had a kill switch for cell phones (or any wireless device as far as that goes) which would instantly go off whenever the engine is running.

I do agree we are a nanny narcissistic country.

34. Zarathustra[H]

Sounds more like "driver was an asshat" than a justification for banning checking your shit while sitting still.

He should have been. When you rear end someone it is always 100% your fault, unless it occurs immediately after having been cut off.

All drivers are responsible for leaving enough space to the car in front of them that they can come to a complete stop without hitting them no matter what happens.

I agree this should be the approach for people who use devices while their vehicle is moving. People get killed this way. I'll vociferously defend checking or sending a quick "traffic is building up, I'll be late" message when sitting still though. I do it all the time, I have never caused an accident or caused a delay (I have enough peripheral vision to spot a light turning green or traffic starting to move) and I will never stop doing it, regardless of what the law says.

I obey my own higher sense of right or wrong, regardless of what the law says.

35. One2Zero

One2Zero n00b

What do you expect the dealers do once they find that I've tinkered with my property?

36. Zarathustra[H]

The dealers have no business enforcing the design of their vehicles on the owners of vehicles.

The states, however - very much could make this a part of regular inspections and enact huge fines if they find that they are overridden, and I wouldn't have a problem with that.

37. MMitch

MMitch Gawd

They could start by voiding warranties related to those tinkered system... Sync,GPS, etc... That should prevent a lot of people from doing it.
    I know those locks are annoying but they're there because people think they're OK doing stupid things while driving and that it won't happen to them... until it does happen and someone gets hurt.

38. Master_shake_

they call it care and control in canada.

they used to be able to nail you with it until a landmark case in quebec that went before the supreme court of a canada the driver who was sleeping in his car at the time proved that he wasn't going to drive and that he called someone to come get him also because he was asleep behind the wheel.

madd was in a tizzy about that.

http://www.communitylegal.mb.ca/wp-content/uploads/Boudreault-2016cz.pdf

they set a precedent that day.

Zarathustra[H] and MMitch like this.
  39. KarsusTG

KarsusTG 2[H]4U

This is bullshit, if you are on a public street you should be paying attention to driving. Sitting through a light because you were on the phone or running a light because you were on a phone, or drifting across lanes and/or hitting someone because you were on a phone. They are all the same thing, avoidable and dangerous incidents resulting from people not doing what they are supposed to be doing.

Honestly, at this point I would be for a law that allowed anyone that saw a phone in your hand while driving to beat the piss out of you.

40. Zarathustra[H]

You are welcome to try, keyboard tough guy.

If the car isn't moving, you aren't driving and should be able to do whatever the fuck you want. End of story.