Woman Killed By Tree, iPod to Blame

My consumption of alcohol last night led to my senses being impaired to the point that I didn't hear the approaching velociraptor from the bushes. Yes, I was aimlessly walking about the back yard, but still., Killian's Irish Red clearly to blame. :p

HA HA!

Killian's... good shit. Have not had it in years, now have to have one.

Yeah, this is insane. I don't even think there need be any "explanation" regarding it not being the fault of the iPod that she died. Hell, with such a freak accident, and idiots not paying attention, it probably would have hit her anyway.

A female jogger was killed by a falling tree branch while listening to her iPod. Why is the iPod important? Because supposedly it impaired the victims ability to hear the warning signs when the branch broke off and fell.

It's her fault for setting the volume to a high enough level that she would be unable to hear her immediate surroundings.

Either way, at least one of the lawyer involved will get paid. Our legal system is messed up.

i blame god, mother nature, and the random forces of the universe..

what ever happened to accidents??? ACCIDENTS just happen, no rhyme or reason. No conspiracy no one to blame but freakish coincidence lol

I don't understand running with ear buds on. I tried it once and it made me paranoid; because I couldn't hear what was going on around me. Heck I don't even like wearing them when I'm walking around. Your sense of hearing in very important in keeping your butt out of harms way; Since you can only see about 30-40% of what's going on around you at any given time.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, I once worked as a surveyor. This is a real problem in untouched wooded areas. It's called a dead man for a reason. I can remember at least two times where I had to make a mad dive. In thick woods you can usually hear the branch coming because of the other trees. If the area was residential and sparsely wooded, I doubt you would hear anything until it is too late. :(

Hullooooo.....

She was jogging along Forbidden Drive.

What do you not get about that??
:p

I don't understand running with ear buds on. I tried it once and it made me paranoid; because I couldn't hear what was going on around me. Heck I don't even like wearing them when I'm walking around. Your sense of hearing in very important in keeping your butt out of harms way; Since you can only see about 30-40% of what's going on around you at any given time.

Exactly. It's almost like being deaf. When working with powertools I often wear ear protection and with it on someone could just be walking behind me and I wouldn't hear a thing. If I were to walk around like that on the street I'm quite sure I'd get hit by a truck the first time I tried to cross a road :eek:

I would not blame the ipod directly... this was just bad luck and perhaps many other forces which led to this.

I would argue that she stood a better chance of getting killed without the earphones. Imagine she's running along, hears a crack, stops and looks around, eventually looks up, whimpers, and dies. The fact that it hit her in stride is beyond unlikely.

You guys seem to have gotten so jaded that without the slightest evidence to support your claims - such as what sort of earphones she even had - it's clearly her fault for not paying attention. Sometimes these things just can't be avoided.

I would argue that she stood a better chance of getting killed without the earphones. Imagine she's running along, hears a crack, stops and looks around, eventually looks up, whimpers, and dies. The fact that it hit her in stride is beyond unlikely.

You guys seem to have gotten so jaded that without the slightest evidence to support your claims - such as what sort of earphones she even had - it's clearly her fault for not paying attention. Sometimes these things just can't be avoided.

I'll repeat that her chances of survival with headphones on were lower than without anyway, as it would cut her off from her environment. You don't realize how much we humans depend on auditory cues from our environment until we have to do without. I have worn headphones while listening to music at school a few times, and the effect is profound. You can't follow any conversations anyone is holding, you don't hear background noise, you can't hear someone calling your name (yelling works). Basically you can't hear a darn thing.

Doing this outside where fast-moving stuff can hit you is suicidal.

A female jogger was killed by a falling tree branch while listening to her iPod. Why is the iPod important? Because supposedly it impaired the victims ability to hear the warning signs when the branch broke off and fell.

You choose this one to make a retarded and completely out of context titled article link based on a completely out of context quoted that was an insignificant part of the actual article? Lets have a little bit of credibility... now this thread is going to be filled with jackasses bitching about teenage girls not paying attention to their surroundings.

I think we're all missing the point here. The trees are attacking!!! They're starting with our strongest and fastest first. Don't risk going outside...and....enjoying nature. Nevermind, I think all of us here will be fine.:D

We must eradicate this species of tree before it realizes that killing humans is a real possibility for it.

There was trouble in the forest,
And the creatures all have fled,
As the maples scream "Oppression!"
And the oaks just drop on heads

Back