Woman Is Live-Tweeting Her Father's Death

HardOCP News

[H] News
Is this what things have come to? Live-tweeting the death of a loved one to complete strangers on the internet? What's your take on this?

Laurie Kilmartin's father is going to pass away soon. Diagnosed with lung cancer, Mr. Kilmartin was admitted to hospice on February 20th. Laurie, a comedian and finalist on Last Comic Standing, has been live-tweeting her experience watching her dad die before her eyes.

'a comedian and finalist on Last Comic Standing'

does she consider the death of her father a skit?...sad what the world has come to

comedians grieving and handling the situation the best way they see fit

People cope in many weird ways. I did a lot of weird things when my mom was dying when i was 17.

We had an old family friend die of lung cancer, if she could have broadcast her death to the world she would have. Like so many she was scammed in the 60s by companies that swore Tobacco was good for you. She had a lot to say about corporate agendas and the destruction they have wrought over the last centuries.

I think people on their way out have might have more to say than most because their personal agendas and leaning stop mattering as much.

My father died a couple weeks ago and my sister was on Facebook writing about it before his body was even cold. That shit is fucked up.

That shit is just wrong.:mad:

There are some things you just don't share with strangers.

According to you. Death fucks people up in different ways. Don't read it if you find it disgusting, but don't shit on others for how they cope with death.

Yea. While I wouldn't do it, nor do I think it's really appropriate, people cope in different ways. I've seen people just go on like nothing happened, never shedding a tear for months, then suddenly break down like they just realized that they are never coming back. Some people never get rid of their belongings, keeping everything like a hoarders house.

If this is how she copes, fine. If it's an attention grabbing thing (which it's getting a lot of attention), then I'd change my outlook on her and she can burn in hell. But, I just hope this is her legitimate way of handling the situation.

Seems morbid and in bad taste, but she's probably dealing with her father's impending death the only way she knows how (ie comedy and story telling....she's a comedian after all). I can't really fault anyone for that.

If he's okay with it, what's wrong about it? This is an experience people are rarely prepared for because no one talks about it. My grandfather hid my grandmother away when she was dying and I didn't see her once for the last year and a half of her life. When he was dying four years later, I had to drop everything, move back across the country and care for him 24/7 until he went to hospice. He died a year ago, almost to the day. I was a wreck, and in some ways, I still am.

If I had a little more exposure to the process of dying before I had to take on that responsibility, I might have coped better.

Hiding death beyond a veil of secrecy is no more noble or "good" than being open about it. It's just a choice.

While lung cancer can hit also on people who don't smoke, nor even passively, I'm glad I quit smoking that crap.

Topic: While I don't really find this way of telling about death appropriate, I can respect that since dying of loved is quite frustrating situation and some people just want to get that sadness out of them.
Technically same thing happens on youtube since it started, various people just broadcasting after someone close to them died, or that they are sick with terminal illness and more, again to complete strangers on the net.

Obviously I'm sure no death is exactly the same as another. But, there wasn't much to tweet about when both of my grandparents died. Near the end, one had been totally unconscious, and the other was pretty much out of it. It wasn't like the TV's or movies where you get a last moment. They were 'gone' before they were truly gone.

That said, I'd still not share it on the internet. :(

If this is how she is dealing with her pain and it helps, no problem.
If this is an attention grab them screw her.

My family, we were taught to keep things bottled up and just "suck it up and deal with it like a man." That only works for so long before you snap and break down.
It can be tears, laughter, depression, murder or suicide, but we all break down if we refuse to face what we're feeling and deal with it however works for us.

I'm sorry, but there is no way I see this as anything other than something an attention-whore would do.

I feel for her for losing her father, but really, how does broadcasting his death help his passing in any way?

Well, it seems her world is much bigger than most people given that she is a comedian who works all over the country. Those who have chosen to follow her on Twitter, her audience (both of stage and Internet) have basically said, "We're with you." Most may be strangers but they do have a connection.

are there tweets of sex and birth? along with death these are the most normal aspects of humanity, makes sense people would tweet them. obviously privacy is an issue, and 99.9% of folks wouldn't do this, but it's to be expected some will.

According to you. Death fucks people up in different ways. Don't read it if you find it disgusting, but don't shit on others for how they cope with death.

Don't complain when I take a steaming dump in your mouth, I'm just coping with an immediate family members death. We all handle it our own ways bro.

Amazing the responses to this.

This generation is so screwed up. No respect for anybody or anything, even death.

I'm conflicted. Not something I would do, but I know death does have its unusual reactions. They look happy and that's all that matters. Doesn't always have to be a morbid black dress ending.

this is an effective way to be heard if you were simply trying to make a point about people in general using social media in stupid ways

Im not interest in streaming my funeral, but I repeatedly yell my wife Id rather not have a funeral if its going to be stuffy and depressing. Have a cookout in my memory or something. Im not setting aside 20 thousand bucks for people to come cry over me. Raise your glass, say a prayer, whatever floats your boat, but I don't the last memory they have of me to be miserable.

Don't complain when I take a steaming dump in your mouth

UcjGgIX.gif

As a whole, society is far too negative about death as it is. Death is death, nothing to be scared of, nothing to be sad about, nothing to feel awkward or shy about, and nothing to run away from. Dying of a terminal illness and in chronic pain and suffering with no hope of recovery? Sorry, we won't let you choose when to die here, go fly over to Switzerland.

Sorry, we won't let you choose when to die here, go fly over to Switzerland.

Maybe where you live. There's are "Death With Dignity Acts" in at least three states that I know of, including mine. You get a terminal disease and your life is a living hell? Go to the doctor and get a prescription. Suffering over. Just don't liveblog that shit.

This is the truth, we should bring an end to obituaries, names on tombstones, and other forms of public information about the dead. Death and dying should be anonymous.

I simply can't comprehend why people go out of their way to share all this personal shit. Like, people will get engaged and post photos of their significant others for complete strangers. The fuck?

I guess most people would shrivel up and die without feedback and validation from others.

better to die gracefully with the entire world in the light
than to die alone in the emptiness and darkness.

Yes, it won't be long until web sites will be charging for the privilege of receiving minute-by-minute Tweets on the "Execution of Prisoner #BR549," etc. There will be differing pricing tiers for gas vs. electric chair, hanging vs. firing squad, etc. We'll know the best "execution Tweetists" by name--at least by stage name--and charges will be assessed according to the Tweeter's commercial reputation for Tweeting such events dramatically and in an entertaining fashion.

All joking aside, I don't see the above as outside the realm of the possible. Personally, I think it's horrible to "Tweet" the death and dying of a close loved one because this will simply feed the prurient interests of those outside the family for whom the experience is no more personal than the latest horror flick on Netflix. But I think it goes to show the confusion and the hypocrisy of the folks who, on one hand, *believe* the imposter Snowden's sensational accounts and cringe in fear at an "NSA" so "disruptive" in their lives that before Snowden they didn't know how to spell "N-S-A," let alone what it meant. (Duh, is that like NAMBLA or NASA?)

And they obsess over an "NSA" that's never caused them to experience a single problem in their entire lives, and they obsess about *My Right to Privacy!* even as...even as they give up that privacy completely in their daily Tweeting adventures. Crazy man, crazy....;)

This is the truth, we should bring an end to obituaries, names on tombstones, and other forms of public information about the dead. Death and dying should be anonymous.

Obits in your local newspaper, in a community where you spent your life, knew folks and worked along side them is one thing......

Your grave marker, so your family and friends can visit your memories, is another thing.....

both are time honored traditions of the process of dying.

posting the minute by minute last breath of your father, on a medium like twitter is just not in the same vein......and to me is disrespectful.

Back