Woman Dies For A Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.
edit: Know what, nevermind. You made it obvious you don't really have a clue and you're just sticking to the "Gatorade is not good if you're not active" claim because you're attached to that claim, not because you actually know anything whatsoever about the subject.

My last reply covered the bases. If you care to respond to the claims, go ahead. I don't anticipate that happening.

I just responded:cool:

if this were Genmay i would take it farther.. but i should probably stop ;)

I just responded:cool:
The answer to your question is easy.

When physically exerting yourself, rehydrating yourself quickly is crucial to maintaining your level of performance. Gatorade, as formulated, has no problem rehydrating your body, but its concentrated nature makes it take much longer.

When you're at rest and not losing water quickly, your body is very good at adjusting its own salt concentrations through use of the kidneys. The problem during activity is that the kidneys are relatively slow.. but when inactive, they are more than fast enough to keep up.

The only real contents of Gatorade are salt and sugar. Gatorade has *much* less of both than a typical American's diet. There's nothing bad or dangerous about it.

That radio channel was really irresponsible. What a bunch of douches. Anyone could have told them that someone could have gotten hurt doing something like that. It's not like the food-eating contests. When that much water enters your system, it has to go somewhere and people can ingest a lot more water than they can food. If you're forcing yourself not to go, your kidneys can get backed up and then there's all sorts of mess.

What an incredibly sad story though. To think someone died over something like getting a Nintendo Wii...

Nobody forced the morons to participate and they were even warned beforehand.....sadly, no single person is responsible for their own actions anymore so the station and their parent company will get sued all to hell. It's the American way!:rolleyes:

Dude.. i said.. GAtorade is not good if you're NOT active.. so if an active person has to dillute it.. why would it be good for an inavtice person?

The bodies of an active and inactive people work differently.

In an inactive person everything not immediately used is stored for later use and released slowy as it's needed.

An active person's body discard's what it doesn't need. So if it didn't need the electrolytes in Gatorade is would be discard along with the water they are suspended in. Which would lead to dehydration. Diluting it lowers the electrolyte levels in the Gatorade. Doing this the body had a better chance to keep the electrolytes is needs discarding what it doesn't need without dehydrating itself because there is more water than is really needed.

At least that's my understanding... I'm not a doctor though.

Now, back on topic, very very sad that those kids are now motherless.

The family should sue and have a good chance of winning. And this isn't about "suing at every chance you get."
The radio station held a contest without researching about the dangers and this is the outcome.

Tragic.

The family should sue and have a good chance of winning. And this isn't about "suing at every chance you get."
The radio station held a contest without researching about the dangers and this is the outcome.

Tragic.

I think any radio station employees that anything to do with this promotion should be charged with involuntary manslaughter and possibly fined and the station's broadcast license revoked.

But I don't think the familiy should sue because it was the woman's own conscious decision that caused her death. The radio station didn't force her to partake in the promotion. Americans need to start taking responsibility for their own actions and quit blaming others for things like this.

Nobody forced the morons to participate and they were even warned beforehand.....sadly, no single person is responsible for their own actions anymore so the station and their parent company will get sued all to hell. It's the American way!:rolleyes:

Oh please. There were many people here, on this very board, who didn't know about water intoxication either. People might have been warned, but nobody was told there was a chance of death. I assure you the #1 health hazard on everyone's mind was whether or not he or she was going to puke or pee his/her pants. The fact that someone died doing something dangerous that the station endorsed and was involved in makes it their fault. Being ignorant doesn't mean you should die. Real life isn't like the darwin awards.

And next person who says people not taking responsibility for their own actions is an American thing... needs to eat a cookie. :)

Good riddance, it's only too bad she didn't do it BEFORE she'd passed on her clearly flawed genes.

How stupid do you have to be? I'm not sure who's more retarded, this dumb bitch who killed herself for a *toy* or the radio jackasses who held such a contest without doing a single minute's worth of research into the possible problems they could invoke. Jesus Christ.

Oh please. There were many people here, on this very board, who didn't know about water intoxication either. People might have been warned, but nobody was told there was a chance of death. I assure you the #1 health hazard on everyone's mind was whether or not he or she was going to puke or pee his/her pants. The fact that someone died doing something dangerous that the station endorsed and was involved in makes it their fault. Being ignorant doesn't mean you should die. Real life isn't like the darwin awards.

And next person who says people not taking responsibility for their own actions is an American thing... needs to eat a cookie. :)

While I agree that the station is liable and didn't do their damned homework, the notion that "being ignorant doesn't mean you should die" is just plain naive. That's the *Natural Order*, buddy. You live to the best extent that your mind and body can sustain you, and when you face a situation where your capabilities aren't enough, nature takes its course. Whether she knew the risks or not, the bottom line is that she CHOSE to take those risk--whether ignorant or not is irrelevant--and she paid the price.

Tragic.

It's equally true that this woman leapt blindly into a "challenge" without researching the dangers. She's every bit as much at fault as the radio station is, and her family should get the Wii and not a cent more.

There's a good chance she didn't even know about "Water intoxication" and the radio station probally didn't tell the people about it, just said a little blurb about health reasons and nothing else.

You would be amazed at how many NORMAL average people don't know about drinking too much water leading to death, etc. It's somethin that the radio station should have said before the contest.

Even then, this was still a dangerous contest in the first place, I mean chances are the radio station/people that thought about it didn't know about water intoxication as well and thought the worst thing that could happen is someone peeing their pants.

There's a good chance she didn't even know about "Water intoxication" and the radio station probally didn't tell the people about it, just said a little blurb about health reasons and nothing else.

You would be amazed at how many NORMAL average people don't know about drinking too much water leading to death, etc. It's somethin that the radio station should have said before the contest.

Even then, this was still a dangerous contest in the first place, I mean chances are the radio station/people that thought about it didn't know about water intoxication as well and thought the worst thing that could happen is someone peeing their pants.

Chances are that it was all 100% complete ignorance of the potential hazards on the part of *everyone*, I completely agree. That doesn't take away the fact that that's still how nature works: when you're knowledge/skill/capability isn't enough and your life is at risk, you die. It's just the way it is. Sure, it sucks for her kids, but she made the choice.

Chances are that it was all 100% complete ignorance of the potential hazards on the part of *everyone*, I completely agree. That doesn't take away the fact that that's still how nature works: when you're knowledge/skill/capability isn't enough and your life is at risk, you die. It's just the way it is. Sure, it sucks for her kids, but she made the choice.

IMO though the radio station/offical contest people should have been the ones that should have known the risks/told the people playing of them. Through her daily life it's not something that she was really at risk of, and likely even without knowing of it it's not likely she would have ended up dying from this, until she entered a contest and it become the main risks which she never knew of probally.

IMO though the radio station/offical contest people should have been the ones that should have known the risks/told the people playing of them. Through her daily life it's not something that she was really at risk of, and likely even without knowing of it it's not likely she would have ended up dying from this, until she entered a contest and it become the main risks which she never knew of probally.

I agree, but at the same time if she's going to enter into a scenario like that, doesn't she have a responsibility to educate herself on the potential hazards? If you go hiking in the wilderness, for example, isn't it *your* responsibility to identify the potential hazards and take appropriate precautions? Or would you say that it's, say, the Forestry Department's responsibility to make the forest "safe"?

My point would be that, in the end, *Life* isn't safe. There's risk in every step you take, every single day. Some can be mitigated with a little research (and in the days of the internet, that's easier than ever before), some can't even be guessed about. In this case, I think the radio station should have had better research and possibly some health warnings or a nurse or something present, but at the same time, the woman should have popped on google and looked up possible risks of drinking too much water.

While I agree that the station is liable and didn't do their damned homework, the notion that "being ignorant doesn't mean you should die" is just plain naive. That's the *Natural Order*, buddy. You live to the best extent that your mind and body can sustain you, and when you face a situation where your capabilities aren't enough, nature takes its course. Whether she knew the risks or not, the bottom line is that she CHOSE to take those risk--whether ignorant or not is irrelevant--and she paid the price.

Natural order?

You see, there's the problem: people should look out for each other. In the case of the radio station, they were the ones running the contest. They spent who knows how much effort getting it set up (trust me, in order to start any kind of contest at a radio station, at least if they're at all like the ones I know of, you have to do a lot to get it approved), and yet they didn't know of water intoxication. I bet if one single person at that entire station did his or her homework and looked up what could actually happen to you if you ingested large amounts of water, this wouldn't have happened.

It's like at rock concerts. There's always something on the ticket about how going to it might cause hearing damage and blah blah blah, but if someday you go to a concert and it is so loud that it actually causes permanent damage to the members of the audience (or even worse, for anyone to become extremely sick), it is lawsuit time. The guys running the concert didn't do their homework.

What I'm getting at is that looking up the effects of drinking too much water on Google is not something the people in the contest should need to do. If there was any risk that someone could die, the contest shouldn't have happened, period.

This isn't like a wilderness hike where you're the one who made the decision and got everything set up. If the national park service had a contest called "How many wiiks can you survive for a Wii" (there's another horrible idea for you), where you're supposed to camp out in the wilderness for a Wii, it would also be lawsuit time there if someone gotten eaten by a bear on the national park service's watch.

By the way, just because something is natural doesn't mean it's right. There are plenty of messed up things that are completely natural. Think about that one for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back