Woman Breaks Text Message Record

HardOCP News

[H] News
Some lady, out shopping with her boyfriend, stopped by the Samsung roadshow tour and broke the text message world record by almost 10 seconds.

Ms Thompson, from Salford, Greater Manchester, was using Samsung's new Galaxy S smartphone when she shaved a huge 9.6 seconds off Mr Page's record, also achieved on a Samsung device. The record, which remains subject to Guinness approval, was smashed by Ms Thompson using the Galaxy S's "SWYPE" key pad, which enables users to input text without their fingertip leaving the screen.

Kyle has been using Swype for awhile now on his EVO and he loves it. Check out the video of it in action.

Isnt that sorta like cheating since the old record was done without swipe?

This article = FAIL b/c there's no video of her breaking the record. :(

I wonder how long it takes the average person to type "the razor-toothed piranhas of the genera Serrasalmus and Pygocentrus are the most ferocious freshwater fish in the world. In reality they seldom attack a human" with a regular computer keyboard. I'd hope much less than the 25.94 sec. it took the woman to Swype it.

I have swype on my new galaxy S for Tmobile, aside from the phone being amazing, swype is freaking awesome!

Pathetic that 'texting' speed has reason to the level of metric of competency.

Goes along I guess with a culture that overpays game players while underpaying and undervaluing educators.

America, land of the FAIL.

BREAKING NEWS: I just broke the 26mile marathon record of 2 hours 3 minutes and 59 seconds by driving it in 32minutes and 14 seconds. Beat that foo!

Again, breaking of this record is stupid and pointless if it's not done the same way the original record was done.

This article = FAIL b/c there's no video of her breaking the record. :(

I wonder how long it takes the average person to type "the razor-toothed piranhas of the genera Serrasalmus and Pygocentrus are the most ferocious freshwater fish in the world. In reality they seldom attack a human" with a regular computer keyboard. I'd hope much less than the 25.94 sec. it took the woman to Swype it.

To type that without any typos on a normal keyboard i would say it takes a regular computer user 30-45 seconds. I did it in about 28 seconds and consider myself an above average typist, at least for speed.

I dunno but Swype looks like a great idea. To me it looks like touch interfaces should always have been able to do this. Very intuitive, it even reminds me of LCARS accepting this type of input lol I wonder how this would fare on a full sized touch keyboard versus classic keyboard?

Took me 22 seconds to type that out. Didn't go at my maximum pace though since I haven't had coffee yet.

is it really a shame that women... who have a hard time shutting up would also be known for "texting" a lot too?

(lack of edit)

*is it really surprising* (not a shame... have no idea WTF I was thinking).

Goes along I guess with a culture that overpays game players while underpaying and undervaluing educators.

Lighten up. I see good things coming from Swype. Hopefully it'll bring to an end the horrible shortcuts, abbreviations and jargon everyone fall back to because typing on a phone has gotten to be less of a chore to do.

SWYPE is awesome!

Wait, it's not for the iPhone? SWYPE is lame!

Took me 22 seconds to type that out. Didn't go at my maximum pace though since I haven't had coffee yet.

Took me ~17.. which is ~90wpm...

Swype is cool but I don't own a fancy enough phone to use it. My Env2 is fast at texting if I don't have to use a symbols / caps.

Took me ~17.. which is ~90wpm...

Swype is cool but I don't own a fancy enough phone to use it. My Env2 is fast at texting if I don't have to use a symbols / caps.

18 here, around the same speed. Took me a few tries to get around the funny genus words, however.

I could probably do it faster once my fingers are warmed up though.

Heh, I just tried it once. My nominal sustained typing speed is only around 80WPM though so I doubt it'd get much better.

Still, for Swype to enable someone to get this close to typing on a keyboard is impressive. I use Swype on my Nexus One and I'm nowhere near that fast (although still a lot faster than I can go on an iPhone and WAY faster than the rather poor stock Android keyboard).

I don't understand why people are being catty bitches and comparing the speed to a regular computer keyboard or disputing whether or not it should count as a new "record". I think it is good to see innovation for text input on mobile phones and similar small screen devices and this is an example of the possible speed improvements.

I was a master at Palm's Graffiti. What a wasted talent that turned out to be. This will have the same fate someday.

I have swype on my new galaxy S for Tmobile, aside from the phone being amazing, swype is freaking awesome!

Same. Its a nice phone. Everyone comments on the clarity and brightness of the screen.

Swype is one of those few products out there that actually works as advertised.

I dont know I go any faster then using the keyboard on my G1, I however do not feel at a disadvantage for no longer having a physical keyboard.

To type that without any typos on a normal keyboard i would say it takes a regular computer user 30-45 seconds. I did it in about 28 seconds and consider myself an above average typist, at least for speed.
Wow, then Swype'ing is really impressive. My phone doesn't have it so I've never used it. But the next time I go to my phone store, I'll check out a phone that has it.

I had MS Word to a character count on those 2 sentences. It says it's 135 characters w/o spaces and 159 characters w/ spaces. That comes out to 5-6 characters per second! Goddam!! :eek:

I thought Swype would be pretty lame but after following the tutorial on my new phone (Droid X), it really is impressive. Using often now, but I doubt I'm as fast as this lady.

Clearly you missed the first sentence of the article, here are the first three words; "A British woman".

Other then that I agree with you.

About 5 seconds here ... select with mouse, CTRL + C, CTRL + V. :) Sorry - couldn't resist.

I wonder what the T9 texting record is for that sentence. I assume over a minute.

I thought Swype would be pretty lame but after following the tutorial on my new phone (Droid X), it really is impressive. Using often now, but I doubt I'm as fast as this lady.
Forget about Swyping as fast as the British chick. Can you Swype faster than type w/ the touch screen or a phone QWERTY keyboard?

About 5 seconds here ... select with mouse, CTRL + C, CTRL + V. :) Sorry - couldn't resist.
You are a slow copier and paster. :p

You should probably change it to Britain since this article had nothing to do with an American.

Back