Wolfenstein: The New Order Performance Review @ [H]

aw man I'm getting horrible performance in this game. I have a 4770k, 290x lightnings in CF, 14.6 beta's, and Win 7 64 bit @ 1600P. At all settings max'ed out, I struggle to flatline at 60 fps. Currently, hyperthreading is ON - should I turn it off? Disabling CF seemed to result in worse performance. Where is this smoothness that other AMD users are talking about? :confused:

Have you tried this? http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1820026

I have 290Xs in Crossfire and I get pretty smooth gameplay, but even using this guy's forced profile I only get 45 FPS using EyeFinity (three 24" 1920 x 1200)

I don't think there is a Crossfire or SLi profile yet that works well. There's no reason I shouldn't peg this game at 60 FPS. I can't get it using SLi'd GTX 780s either.

Anyone know how to give a console command that would skip a level or two? Lost my save game. Thanks.

I would like to know how to transfer my Save Games from one computer to another.

I copied and pasted from the user/savegames/machinegames/wolfenstein:TNO file, and it doesn't allow me any benefit??

Have you tried this? http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1820026

I have 290Xs in Crossfire and I get pretty smooth gameplay, but even using this guy's forced profile I only get 45 FPS using EyeFinity (three 24" 1920 x 1200)

I don't think there is a Crossfire or SLi profile yet that works well. There's no reason I shouldn't peg this game at 60 FPS. I can't get it using SLi'd GTX 780s either.

i'll give it a shot... will I be able to use 14.6?

aw man I'm getting horrible performance in this game. I have a 4770k, 290x lightnings in CF, 14.6 beta's, and Win 7 64 bit @ 1600P. At all settings max'ed out, I struggle to flatline at 60 fps. Currently, hyperthreading is ON - should I turn it off? Disabling CF seemed to result in worse performance. Where is this smoothness that other AMD users are talking about? :confused:

If you're using Crossfire, then that's why. For CF, turn off Screen Space Reflections. It makes the game hiccup and lag horribly.

Have you tried adjusting various settings in the graphics menu?

I can run the game just fine with CF disabled on my 7990 (essentially a single 7970) @ 1440p with a few tweaks to the graphics (lower shadow resolutions and such). Also make sure you're not using VSync. I got terrible input lag with it.

From all the tweaking and stuff I did on Wolf, it actually runs better with CF off (for me) and IQ looks great.

I've really liked this game.

Too bad it get's compared to rage due to texture popin, it has a far superior story. I've played both timelines, and I am now playing through one last time to get all the collectibles/enigma codes.

I run an [email protected], gtx680, 1920x1200, and do see some texture popin but its very quick when it happens, like 1/4 second for it to draw in. I've gotten used to it.

It seems that users with crazy fast hardrives (4 ssd's in raid 0) have ziltch texture pop-in, but users with 6gb vram still can. Probably this game suffering a bit from being a console port, that yet again isn't always fully utilizing the pc hardware (ram layout to be exact), because It seems like a 6gb vram card should have no issues with texture popin (or it should be really rare). My card has only 2gb and I see it intermittently, or when turning very fast on purpose to try and make it pop.

Can any 6gb vram users tell us what amount of the vram is used when playing Wolfenstein? evga precision can display that in the corner during gameplay.

I've really liked this game.

Too bad it get's compared to rage due to texture popin, it has a far superior story. I've played both timelines, and I am now playing through one last time to get all the collectibles/enigma codes.

I run an [email protected], gtx680, 1920x1200, and do see some texture popin but its very quick when it happens, like 1/4 second for it to draw in. I've gotten used to it.

It seems that users with crazy fast hardrives (4 ssd's in raid 0) have ziltch texture pop-in, but users with 6gb vram still can. Probably this game suffering a bit from being a console port, that yet again isn't always fully utilizing the pc hardware (ram layout to be exact), because It seems like a 6gb vram card should have no issues with texture popin (or it should be really rare). My card has only 2gb and I see it intermittently, or when turning very fast on purpose to try and make it pop.

Can any 6gb vram users tell us what amount of the vram is used when playing Wolfenstein? evga precision can display that in the corner during gameplay.

I agree about the game. I had a ton of fun with it myself. I plan on giving it a few months and then want to go back through it again to get all the enigma codes and stuff.

As for GPU vram usage, I saw texture pop-in maybe twice during the entire play-through on a 3GB card, so I'd guess that it doesn't use much more than that. I can test it later for ya though.

edit: And I don't think the performance has anything to do with a console port. It's just how the engine is designed. Its OpenGL, doesn't officially support more than 1 GPU and is locked to 60fps

slightly OT... but whats the general consensus on 14.4 whql vs 14.6 beta?

There were a couple of things in the beta that were interesting.....

1) the new Eyefinity that allows different types of monitors or mixed monitor support.
2) Watch Dogs CF profile.

Nothing for this game unfortunately.

I agree about the game. I had a ton of fun with it myself. I plan on giving it a few months and then want to go back through it again to get all the enigma codes and stuff.

As for GPU vram usage, I saw texture pop-in maybe twice during the entire play-through on a 3GB card, so I'd guess that it doesn't use much more than that. I can test it later for ya though.

edit: And I don't think the performance has anything to do with a console port. It's just how the engine is designed. Its OpenGL, doesn't officially support more than 1 GPU and is locked to 60fps

Me, too.

I had great fun with this game. The textures and levels do suck sometimes, but the game and the story were top notch. I mean come on, it's an old school shooter, but taken about as far as you can. I am about to play it again......:D

I think I've seen texture pop-in maybe two or three times and literally out of the corner of my eye.

man. this game is FUN. despite the shitty performance on my AMD system. the shooting is great, and makes FC feel clinical in comparison.

man. this game is FUN. despite the shitty performance on my AMD system. the shooting is great, and makes FC feel clinical in comparison.

I had crappy performance on my two machines (surprisingly) until I turned off "screen-space reflection" .

Now I use Ultra settings otherwise and laser flat at 60 FPS.

On my second play through.....fun,fun,fun.:D

I had crappy performance on my two machines (surprisingly) until I turned off "screen-space reflection" .

Now I use Ultra settings otherwise and laser flat at 60 FPS.

On my second play through.....fun,fun,fun.:D

argg! my specs are very similar to yours but I don't flatline at 60. Think I should try 14.4 instead of 14.6's? and yes I turned off screen-space reflection which yielded an improvement, but still not flatlining.

Textures in this game blow. There is no difference between compressed and uncompressed in neither quality nor performance. This game needs an HD texture mod like Doom 3 to look good. How hard could it have been to make textures at LEAST 2x more detailed and optimally 3x would be perfect for Ultra-level quality. Aside from that, its a decent game. Worth playing through a friend's copy :D... and then get your own of course!

Last edited:
Yeah, SLI/CFX simply doesn't work in this game. At least with my 2x 290x setup any forced CFX performs worse than a single card. Multi-GPU didn't work in RAGE either so no surprise since they're using basically the same engine. That said, performance is pretty good for me when I disable Crossfire completely, otherwise it stutters a bit.

Great game but I really couldn't get great performance out of my Tri-SLI Titans @ 7680X1440.. eventually had to settle on somewhere between High-Medium levels to get it to smooth out enough so I didnt feel too many "hitches". As well the distance where textures turned blurry was very odd.. far to close to be reasonable given the details I was pushing.

There was a similar cvar in idTech 4, but I think it was disabled in one of the patches for Doom 3 (com_fixedTic "-1"). I wonder if the idTech 5 version works in Rage.

Great game but I really couldn't get great performance out of my Tri-SLI Titans @ 7680X1440.. eventually had to settle on somewhere between High-Medium levels to get it to smooth out enough so I didnt feel too many "hitches". As well the distance where textures turned blurry was very odd.. far to close to be reasonable given the details I was pushing.
The driver profile for New Order forces single-GPU. You can try forcing an AFR mode in the driver control panel, or setting a compatibility bit with nVInspector. But it was made clear by the developer that mGPU configurations would absolutely not be officially supported by the game.

I just bought this game and am late to the party. I'm trying to play it with an AMD Fury X at 2560x1600 and I feel the experience is very choppy! This is not something I'd expect. I have a core i7-4770k overclocked to 4.5Ghz with 16GB of RAM. My Firestrike 3dmark score is about 13.5K. So my machine is operating as it should be.

Any suggestions? Any of you have an R9 AMD card you could fire up the game and see if you have poor framerates with the current AMD drivers?

Last edited:
Just played a couple of minutes of the opening mission and I'm in the bunker already. Was smooth as butter for me. If I remember right this game loves a SSD because of the continuous streaming of textures. Also does the R9 Fury downclock if presented with an easy load? New energy management feature. Guys are running some program to keep it from doing that.

Here I found the thread on Clockblocker.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1888515

thank's cageymaru. I did a bit more research after I posted and found out it's an issue with v-sync. turn it off and it runs full speed. With Vsync on (for some reason) it limits it to 30FPS. Problem is with vsync off I get massive screen tearing.

So pick your poison - massive screen tearing with 60FPS (monitor limit) or 30FPS with vsynch.

I'll keep looking into it. Currently I'm playing with 60FPS and screen tearing - but it's hard on the eyes.

use the built in framelimiter in the amd menu OR use the framlimiter in riva tuner osd......the latter will do the trick if for some reason the one built into the driver is having issues

Does AMD have a tech similar to adaptive Vsync on Nvidia? Seems like that would solve the problem.

Ok one more time....
Capture_zpsqlmrloqn.png

As i already said before...you have 2 choices being: use the (built in) frame limiter already built into the driver or use the frame limiter feature built into Riva Tuner osd program. Some cases work out better using riva tuner.....some work better selecting it in the driver menu. AMD is constantly making changes to the newer drivers, unfortunately they sometimes make mistakes and add a bug or 2. Thats the nature of code these days so if one has issues, use the other. The only reason you see them both turned on is for demonstration purpose..i usually just stick with riva tuner because i use the built in osd all the time anyway.

Honestly i cant remember when exactly the added the built in limiter into the drivers...was about a year ago? So if your using an ancient driver, you will need to uninstall it and update to a recent version.

Last edited:
I don't have an AMD card to test with, but I force VSync in the driver on my 970. Works perfectly.

actually hes using a fury x card...so i think they enabled frtc even in the older catalyst drivers....was like one tab beneath over drive tab? I cant remember tbh....IF its not there then its easily fixed by installing the new style drivers and using my screen shot as reference to find the correct option. Regarding the game itself...shit i loved this one....real old school fun!

The global settings in the catalyst driver I tried before it was even suggested here. That didn't work.

I do have the newest drivers -- Most any member here with the longevity we have knows that's the first stop. Besides that I can't imagine anyone owning a top tier card from red or green team and not keeping current to the newest drivers. But for the sake of troubleshooting I understood it had to be said.

Which version of RivaTuner are you using. When I websearched last night I only saw old versions for like windows XP mostly. Is there a version for Windows 10? Everything I came across was like 2009 timeframe at newest?

I web searched for an hour on finding a frame limiter from the Wolfenstein New Order console and didn't come up with the answer after reading through many threads - mostly on steam. Of course most of the threads are old - with AMD and Nvidia cards from a couple generations ago.

This apparently is not a unique or isolated problem. There are bad performance threads littering the internet. People fix it in the weirdest ways - uninstalling catalyst (didn't try - sounds counterproductive), renaming the EXE (I didn't try this yet - but I guess I might as well), using triple buffering settings in catalyst (I tried that one - didn't work). Lowering all graphical settings and playing at 720p (no thanks).

The game is super smooth with vsync disabled - but screen tearing is still a nuisance. Turn on vsync and it's a crippled disaster - nearly unplayable stutter.

Last edited:
Don't use global in the driver....you can manually (assuming its not already listed) by selecting the game.exe by clicking the browse....finding it and selecting it. Then again certain games using opengl or different api's could have issues with the driver frtc. Come to think of it..this is not the typical dx11 game. (very well could be the problem)

Anyways just get the newest version here. http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rtss-rivatuner-statistics-server-download.html Rivatuner Statistics Server Download v6.4.0 10/30/2015

I think your getting the name confused with the much older rivatuner app....that one went EOL years ago....Not sure if Unwinder will ever get that one updated.....He kind moved on to msi afterburner with BTW includes Rivatuner server as well (same app) You can very well just download the newest afterburner and have both install....there both handy to be honest. The primary reason a lot of us use AB/RT server is for all the hardware osd ability....you know like seeing your cards temp in real time

MSI Afterburner 4.2.0 Final 12/07/2015 http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/msi-afterburner-beta-download.html like i said it includes the riva tuner server that you need anyway...its up to you...you dont have to install both - if you dont want to

edit: just to give credit where its do...Only reason i know about the frame rate limiter built into RTSS Rivatuner Statistics Server is Araxie pointed it out one day...I used it for years and never knew it could do that:D

Last edited:
thanks for the help guys. Primetime - I installed MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner - thank you for the link.

The game isn't DX11 it's actually opengl.

I set up my wolfneworder_x64.exe as shown.

I see the pink FPS counter in game - it's set to 60FPS and I'm still getting tearing.

This is on a Dell 3014 monitor. Is it possible that the 60FPS cap on this game is not working well with the 75hz refresh rate on my Dell 3014?

To see if something like that is the issue I've tried changing the cap in RivaTuner to 59, 60, and 75. With 75hz, the game still stays capped at 60hz. (I've read the game is capped at 60hz and if you change the INI to a higher value - you actually speed up the game rather than just get more FPS with the same engine speed - not ideal)

At any rate - there is bad tearing with everything I've tried at the 60FPS.

This is why people go to consoles man. :) I don't have this problem with other games - so I guess I shouldn't get too particular - just annoying that this game is what I'm interested in playing and optimally can't.

8zjtz6.png

I guess I can turn this into AMD as a trouble ticket if the suggestion well has dried up - wouldn't be the first one I've submitted. (though I'm not sure I ever see any success from my submissions)

Last edited:
I also confirmed with RviaTuner that the global Frame Rate Target Control setting in the catalyst driver doesn't seem to do anything for Wolfenstein New Order. I set it to 0 in RivaTuner and 45FPS in the catalyst driver and it still stayed at 60FPS when I re-launched the game.

If I set it to something other than 60 with RivaTuner's framerate limit - that reflected in the game - but it won't go past 60FPS in game.

Weird that my monitor shows 75hz in the Catalyst control panel and 60hz in the Windows Control panel. In the Windows Control Panel I don't even have any other options than 60hz.

But of course Dell doesn't have a Windows 10 driver for their 2 year old flagship monitor. go figure.
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=J5F16
I just updated to Windows 10 this last weekend and didn't realize that until just now.

BTW - I just remembered to try gaming mode on the monitor instead of my normal Adobe RGB profile - same thing - tearing.

Frame limiter in AMD only works on DX11 as far as I remember.They were adding DX9, could have already, don't know.

So let me get this straight.....even when you limit the fps to 60 to match your current refresh rate...its still tearing? does your fps go no higher than 60? ive never had tearing when my fps stayed at or below my refreshrate. regarding the display not letting you select the right number...somtimes just unplug the cord and plug it back in works sometimes...course mine is hdmi...dp might be different. if all else fails try using cru to manually add the refresh rate you need...i been overclocking my display since i bought it to 75hz and before the crimson drivers was the only way i could do that http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU ...course it might not help at all since you showed its already listed in the amd menu

Yep,

No higher than 60. Apparently the game is capped there.

I tried triple monitor eyefinity (5138x1600) which drops my frame rate to 50ish fps average and most of the tearing goes away on the dell 3014, unless the fps goes over 60 in a lesser graphically demanding scene. But the cut scenes are all stretched badly across the three monitors, and thus this title doesn't seem particularly suited for eyefinity play with all the cutscenes intermixed.

I'll play with it some more tommorow.

You don't happen to have another screen attached to the card that's either in another graphics mode, or has some type of scaling enabled do you?

I have four screens attached but the others should all be disabled.

I guess as a test I could detach the other three monitors physically from the graphics card.

I didn't mess with it last night. I was feeling ill.

Last edited:
I installed this last night, and Clockblocker helped with the stuttering. SSD made no performance impact (I remember Cageymaru helping me to troubleshoot that a couple months ago). I get tearing horrible tearing as well.

I have always taken it as this engine is just not AMD friendly, and it probably goes back to the Doom 3 leak that was ATI's fault, at least according to Carmack. I mean, Rage is just as bad with regards to performance on Radeons (Rage didn't run all that well on my 7970 at the time I played the game). The game was smooth sailing on my 670s.

I think I'll try using RTSS for the game after work, see if that mitigates or eliminates tearing.

I don't think it's a throttling thing for me (clockblocker fix) because my frames are consistently at 60FPS (they don't dip at all) according to the RivaTuner program with a single monitor - but yet the tearing continues.

My best guess at this point is just some driver glitch - or a mismatch on my Dell 3014 75hz to the Windows 10 60hz - with no actual driver for the 3014 on Windows 10.

EDIT SCRATCH THAT!

Found one
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us...Code=dell-u3014&languageCode=EN&categoryId=DD

I hope this is my fix.

Back