Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

This is such a very weird thing if you think about it. I mean what possible difference would it make? Like are the Germans that ashamed of the past that heaven-forbid someone shows Hitler and they get riled up about it?

Pretty much. IMO it's a national level coping mechanism. Sure, anyone that wasn't a nazi or had anything to do with them (or weren't even born in the correct era FFS) shouldn't feel any guilt, but I'd guess it's a little like PTSD-by-proxy or something. A crazy fucker like Hitler could have come from anywhere. Just happened to come from Germany. Not their fault as a whole, just the ones who joined his cause and committed crimes against humanity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much. IMO it's a national level coping mechanism. Sure, anyone that wasn't a nazi or had anything to do with them (or weren't even born in the correct era FFS) shouldn't feel any guilt, but I'd guess it's a little like PTSD-by-proxy or something. A crazy fucker like Hitler could have come from anywhere. Just happened to come from Germany. Not their fault as a whole, just the ones who joined his cause and committed crimes against humanity.

Hitler is Austrian.

Hitler is Austrian.

That's great, but it was not the point I was making, nor was I referring to his actual heritage. I was more just referring to Nazi Germany, and the fact that someone like Hitler could have come from pretty much anywhere.

Still haven't seen a fix come out for the "crash dump" error. Couldn't even load the game and I did every tweak and fix currently online. Once that's fixed I would like to play the game.... Though I could play it on PS4 if I really wanted.

I got about 7 hours in (to the first Manhattan level) and it ran flawlessly, never a single issue. But since then, it will randomly crash on the cutscenes. I've had to start saving before I trigger a cutscene because I can never tell if it's going to crash or not. And by "crash" I mean the screen goes black and I can't move the cursor or anything. I have to bring up the task manager and end the task. And even then, it's reluctant to launch again, sometimes taking 30 seconds to a minute before the game starts. Since it started crashing, I've installed the latest Nvidia drivers and updated the game to the DLC that just came out. I thought one or both of these items might correct it, but they have not. I never had an issue with any of the previous Wolf games, and it's really disappointing that I keep having to stop and save the game because of these crashes. I'm pretty much resigned now to living with them until I finish the game! :(

So... there's an overall balance patch -
And then there's Episode 2 of the Freedom Chronicles... and I'm a little disappointed to be honest. I'm not expecting these to be massive levels, but it was so short - three missions - that I was done within 45 minutes. Stealth levels, no less, where those usually pad out the time to completion - but this one just flew by. At least I didn't get stuck in every - single - doorway - like Gunslinger Joe in Episode 1.

Sorry to hear it's so short, but looking forward to trying it regardless.

Been taking my time with the game, trying to enjoy it and not speed through it. Just now finishing up with the aggravating enigma codes and killing the ubercommanders. I should unlock the Riverside level tonight and then I'll be onto the DLC.

I recently finished the main campaign which was mostly enjoyable, but tedious and anticlimactic in several respects, and just not as good as New Order and First Blood. The DLC episodes on the other hand are atrocious so far.....insipid plots and characters, recycling of assets that would make Activision blush, unpolished and buggy, etc. If there was ever a good example of why you should never buy season passes, this would be it.

The biggest problem with this game was the level design. It really just all felt like a slog.

These are my sentiments exactly. I enjoyed New Order more for whatever reason, although it wasnt GOTY or anything.

I can replay through new order no problem because the levels are varied and just well done.

I’ll never touch this game again. I only stuck through it because I like BJ as a character so much.

These are my sentiments exactly. I enjoyed New Order more for whatever reason, although it wasnt GOTY or anything.

I think it's more attributed to the story than anything. The beginning was a little too depressing for me and then the whole "all white people are OK with nazis and the south is ran by the KKK" was a little too social justice'y for me. That was actually about the time I turned it off and haven't played it since.

Wolfenstein games were always fun and campy....not dark and depressing and toeing the PC narrative.

Just finished DLC 3.

I'm... eh. I guess I'm done with the game.

Without giving anything away- all three DLC were short. The plots were interesting enough, but the actual gameplay was very short. Very short.

This past weekend I ran through DLC 1 and 2 to get the collectibles that I missed on my first sweep. I did DLC 3 last night. I felt the quality of level design in DLC 3 was better than 1 and 2, and the level designer did some really cool stuff with lighting effects. The start of the episode where you've got the lighting under water, and lots of sections where they do cool stuff with lighting coming through grates and making cool effects in fog, or light rays coming through windows. Those lighting effects I felt were even above what was in the main campaign. Three had horrible voice acting, and the dialogue was below B-movie bad.

But yeah, all three episodes were short, and weren't really challenging. They definitely phoned it in on the first two, and other than the lighting design in episode three, even that wasn't great.

I can replay through new order no problem because the levels are varied and just well done.

I’ll never touch this game again. I only stuck through it because I like BJ as a character so much.
Yup. It was also more challenging. Wolfenstein 2 was mostly a cakewalk. All of the DLC was a breeze to play through.

I'm finishing up the DLCs as well before FC5 is released.

I need to free up the space on my tiny 120GB SSD! LOL!

I'm still chugging along on my playthrough of The New Colossus that I received for Christmas. Got through the courtroom stage last night -- wow. That was pretty intense, and the game is an emotional rollercoaster. Overall, I agree...this game doesn't feel quite as fun as TNO, but it's still pretty damn good in the grand scheme of things.

I'll probably play the DLCs even though by most accounts they're mediocre...I'm damn sure not paying the separate full $9.99/each so I'll catch `em on sale. The season pass with all 3 is 40% off ($14.99) right now if anyone is interested.

For those who have played them, I know they're short and somewhat lackluster...would you say they're worth it at $15 for all 3 or should I wait? Now would be a good time for me to steamroll the DLCs after I finish up the main story and am still in Wolfenstein mode...but if $15 is too much I'll pick them up later and start another game after I finish this.

I'm still chugging along on my playthrough of The New Colossus that I received for Christmas. Got through the courtroom stage last night -- wow. That was pretty intense, and the game is an emotional rollercoaster. Overall, I agree...this game doesn't feel quite as fun as TNO, but it's still pretty damn good in the grand scheme of things.

I'll probably play the DLCs even though by most accounts they're mediocre...I'm damn sure not paying the separate full $9.99/each so I'll catch `em on sale. The season pass with all 3 is 40% off ($14.99) right now if anyone is interested.

For those who have played them, I know they're short and somewhat lackluster...would you say they're worth it at $15 for all 3 or should I wait? Now would be a good time for me to steamroll the DLCs after I finish up the main story and am still in Wolfenstein mode...but if $15 is too much I'll pick them up later and start another game after I finish this.
It's difficult to say - everyone's view of value is different.

I enjoyed TNC not to the gushing praise I've seen in some reviews/videos, and the DLC was more of the same - I feel it was a missed opportunity (plot/story) more than asset recycling (and other technical details). In that way, the DLC quickly became unmemorable - nothing new was introduced (each DLC protagonist has one of the gadgets), and the situations/maps didn't do more than give you more of the same gameplay.

I've been trying to describe just how short the DLCs were, and I can sort of say this: all three together felt no longer than doing all the Enigma missions.

That’s really my biggest complaint with the game - the level design across the board just sucked.

That’s really my biggest complaint with the game - the level design across the board just sucked.
And they recycled some of it in the DLC. The gunplay was solid, but the story and game world was mostly a borefest.

interesting to me how the general sentiment seemed to change gears over the course of time for this game.

LOTS of love for it at launch - now mostly "meh" feedback is all I see.

interesting to me how the general sentiment seemed to change gears over the course of time for this game.

LOTS of love for it at launch - now mostly "meh" feedback is all I see.

That's because based off the first game I think folks wanted to give this game a chance, and we hoped as you moved through the game it would excite with later level design and cool plot devices.

It did none of that, and that's what made the first game so brilliant.

That's because based off the first game I think folks wanted to give this game a chance, and we hoped as you moved through the game it would excite with later level design and cool plot devices.

It did none of that, and that's what made the first game so brilliant.

If you recall - the early reviews of the game were stellar. I'll agree with your sentiment to the masses and I think that's reflected in all of these posts --- but what happened to the early game reviewers who had access pre-launch? Shills?

If you recall - the early reviews of the game were stellar. I'll agree with your sentiment to the masses and I think that's reflected in all of these posts --- but what happened to the early game reviewers who had access pre-launch? Shills?

Game 'journalists' seemed to gush over it simply because of the very heavy political messages and look at how racist all the white people are portions. They didn't give a crap about the poor map design, and lacking story.

I'm bumping this thread because I'm playing through this right now immediately after playing through New Order. I haven't beat it yet, but pretty sure I'm near the end; just had BJ's birthday party and thought that was somewhat comical and entertaining.

I'm really enjoying the game actually; almost as much as the New Order in terms of story and pacing, but definitely more in terms of technical/graphical quality and performance. One thing that really annoyed me with TNO was that it was basically capped at 60 FPS because if you forced it past that, then it actually made the game speed up instead of just increasing the frame rate.

Now with TNC I'm have a different performance issue; I can get nearly 200 FPS with everything maxed (at 3440x1440, 21:9 ultrawide) in most scenes on my RTX 2080, but most of the time the game starts up and for whatever reason my FPS will only be around 60 FPS, then I found that if I go into the video settings and switch it to 720p for a few seconds it will bump up to 200+, then I can revert back to 1440p UW and it will stay there in the game. Most of the time this works, but sometimes it keeps going back down to around 60 FPS when I revert back to native res and I either have to keep toggling the resolution and/or restart the game and repeating this until I get the appropriate frame rate again.

I figured maybe my GPU for whatever reason was stuck at 2D clocks or something because I've seen that before on previous hardware, but I verified that my GPU is running at around 2000 MHz as it should be. Enabling the max detailed tech stats in the game show it the game way under-utilizing both the CPU and GPU when I'm having this issue of course, so I'm not sure if it's just a bug in the game, my drivers (which I've udpated since playing the game), or a setting I need to force somewhere either in game or the Nvidia control panel or what.

Any tips are appreciated. Oh, and I've used that 3rd party Ultrawide app (forgot the full name) that patches games for you that don't natively support UW or has issues with it even if they do. It didn't seem to help in this case.

If it matters, here's my specs:

Ryzen 2700X at stock
X470 Asus Strix F-Gaming Mobo
Zotac Extreme Amp RTX 2080 (though I manage it with EVGA's tool)
32 GB RAM at 3066 MHz (rated at 3200 but I can't get it to boot past 3066 no matter what voltage, timings, or settings I've used).
Alienware 34" UW 3440x1440 monitor.

I'm bumping this thread because I'm playing through this right now immediately after playing through New Order. I haven't beat it yet, but pretty sure I'm near the end; just had BJ's birthday party and thought that was somewhat comical and entertaining.

I'm really enjoying the game actually; almost as much as the New Order in terms of story and pacing, but definitely more in terms of technical/graphical quality and performance. One thing that really annoyed me with TNO was that it was basically capped at 60 FPS because if you forced it past that, then it actually made the game speed up instead of just increasing the frame rate.

Now with TNC I'm have a different performance issue; I can get nearly 200 FPS with everything maxed (at 3440x1440, 21:9 ultrawide) in most scenes on my RTX 2080, but most of the time the game starts up and for whatever reason my FPS will only be around 60 FPS, then I found that if I go into the video settings and switch it to 720p for a few seconds it will bump up to 200+, then I can revert back to 1440p UW and it will stay there in the game. Most of the time this works, but sometimes it keeps going back down to around 60 FPS when I revert back to native res and I either have to keep toggling the resolution and/or restart the game and repeating this until I get the appropriate frame rate again.

I figured maybe my GPU for whatever reason was stuck at 2D clocks or something because I've seen that before on previous hardware, but I verified that my GPU is running at around 2000 MHz as it should be. Enabling the max detailed tech stats in the game show it the game way under-utilizing both the CPU and GPU when I'm having this issue of course, so I'm not sure if it's just a bug in the game, my drivers (which I've udpated since playing the game), or a setting I need to force somewhere either in game or the Nvidia control panel or what.

Any tips are appreciated. Oh, and I've used that 3rd party Ultrawide app (forgot the full name) that patches games for you that don't natively support UW or has issues with it even if they do. It didn't seem to help in this case.

If it matters, here's my specs:

Ryzen 2700X at stock
X470 Asus Strix F-Gaming Mobo
Zotac Extreme Amp RTX 2080 (though I manage it with EVGA's tool)
32 GB RAM at 3066 MHz (rated at 3200 but I can't get it to boot past 3066 no matter what voltage, timings, or settings I've used).
Alienware 34" UW 3440x1440 monitor.
If I recall correctly this is a common issue. An alt+tab usually fixes it. It doesn't help that Microsoft is forcing fullscreen optimizations in all games since the 1809 update, ignoring all user preferences, meaning the game is running in a borderless window whether you want it to or not.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
I am working actually in office. So not in home. But i can work in home if i decide. Imagine that,playing on pc + sitting on laptop+ music+game MMO. Heaven

Ok, I just finished this game and am surprised at all the critical assessments of the game here. I thought the story and characters were pretty much along the same vein as the first one and a great continuation of it. I never got board with the game play for sure even though despite it being more of the same of the first one and pretty much like any traditional shooter. I didn't have an issue with any of the levels being confusing or too repetitive either. I do with the end had an actual last boss, as even on medium difficulty I had a challenge on The New Order's last boss while I beat this last section on medium on my 2nd try just by grabbing that laser turret on the side and mowing everything down with that. But I thought it was perfect how you got to execute General Engel on live TV just like she did to you, and then after the decently written speech to the camera, BJ pulled his ring back off of dead Engel's hand and then proposed to Anya.. very touching, lol. The way they killed Caroline was pretty brutal and dramatic too; I'm not sure how they could have done it in a more "meaningful" way or why they needed to. I also enjoyed the scene with BJ's dad and how BJ tried to reason with him, but of course he was too ignorant and tried execute his own son ("Daddy, I'm your son" kind of got to me) only to inevitably have BJ kill him instead.

Edit: Oh, and I almost forgot one of the most crazy come backs of all time; BJ being revived after being beheaded, lol. I was just laughing when I got to this part because I didn't know if I was somehow already at the end of the game so soon or if I did something wrong and was totally starting to get really disappointed with the game. Then it showed them catching his head with the drone and putting it on that new body and I was just completely surprised and then realized that it was actually completely foreshadowed with that cat-monkey pet that Set has. Then it just completely fit in with the setting of the game for me and was solidified later when you can just fast-travel to Venus within a day it seemed, lol. There's just hardly any limitations to the creativity with this game and I kind of like that about it.

I am also kind of disappointed that we didn't get to kill Hitler too though, but I can see why that is since I'm sure they're setting that up for the next game in the series probably (hopefully they're not dragging it out longer than that).

Anyways, not sure if I'm going to try Youngblood yet now or even Old Blood since I haven't played that yet either. But I'm still looking forward to this games direct sequel since Young blood looks to be more of a spinoff like Old Blood is.

Last edited:
Ok, I just finished this game and am surprised at all the critical assessments of the game here. I thought the story and characters were pretty much along the same vein as the first one and a great continuation of it. I never got board with the game play for sure even though despite it being more of the same of the first one and pretty much like any traditional shooter. I didn't have an issue with any of the levels being confusing or too repetitive either. I do with the end had an actual last boss, as even on medium difficulty I had a challenge on The New Order's last boss while I beat this last section on medium on my 2nd try just by grabbing that laser turret on the side and mowing everything down with that. But I thought it was perfect how you got to execute General Engel on live TV just like she did to you, and then after the decently written speech to the camera, BJ pulled his ring back off of dead Engel's hand and then proposed to Anya.. very touching, lol. The way they killed Caroline was pretty brutal and dramatic too; I'm not sure how they could have done it in a more "meaningful" way or why they needed to. I also enjoyed the scene with BJ's dad and how BJ tried to reason with him, but of course he was too ignorant and tried execute his own son ("Daddy, I'm your son" kind of got to me) only to inevitably have BJ kill him instead.

Edit: Oh, and I almost forgot one of the most crazy come backs of all time; BJ being revived after being beheaded, lol. I was just laughing when I got to this part because I didn't know if I was somehow already at the end of the game so soon or if I did something wrong and was totally starting to get really disappointed with the game. Then it showed them catching his head with the drone and putting it on that new body and I was just completely surprised and then realized that it was actually completely foreshadowed with that cat-monkey pet that Set has. Then it just completely fit in with the setting of the game for me and was solidified later when you can just fast-travel to Venus within a day it seemed, lol. There's just hardly any limitations to the creativity with this game and I kind of like that about it.

I am also kind of disappointed that we didn't get to kill Hitler too though, but I can see why that is since I'm sure they're setting that up for the next game in the series probably (hopefully they're not dragging it out longer than that).

Anyways, not sure if I'm going to try Youngblood yet now or even Old Blood since I haven't played that yet either. But I'm still looking forward to this games direct sequel since Young blood looks to be more of a spinoff like Old Blood is.

I agree with most of this. I didn't like the story as much as The New Order, but I don't really mind the outlandishness of it either. The whole entire series has been outlandish, with sci-fi and occult themes, and just being over-the-top since Wolfenstein 3D for DOS. There's nothing terribly out of place, nor do I think there could be much that would be in this series.

I really liked the shooting in all of them though.

I may eventually try Young Blood at some point. However, the acting of BJ's daughters that I saw in one of the pre-release videos made me embarrassed to even try it because it was so awful. :D It still appears to have solid shooting though.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
The problem with new colossus is the level design, really. If it had better level design it would have been on-par with New Order.

But it didn't, and IMO it's not a great game. It's average, but I didn't enjoy it like I did new order.

I replay through New Order all the time, because to me it's that good. I'll never touch colossus again.

And yes, colossus has the improved idTech so it runs better, but you can't get around boring/bad level design.

The problem with new colossus is the level design, really. If it had better level design it would have been on-par with New Order.

But it didn't, and IMO it's not a great game. It's average, but I didn't enjoy it like I did new order.

I replay through New Order all the time, because to me it's that good. I'll never touch colossus again.

And yes, colossus has the improved idTech so it runs better, but you can't get around boring/bad level design.

I also play TNO every so often. I probably won't replay TNC for quite some time, but I think I will eventually.

I also play TNO every so often. I probably won't replay TNC for quite some time, but I think I will eventually.

Do you all happen to have ultrawide monitors? If so, did you get that constant glitch in TNO where popup events on the HUD get stuck on the right side of the screen where it's supposed to slide off the side of it? Also, were you all able to play it past 60 FPS? The methods I found online would make the game run too fast if you unlocked the frame rate, so I had to just live with 60 FPS throughout it, which sucks when I'm used to 120+ Hz on my monitor, which TNO ran at perfectly (around 150-200 FPS on my RTX 2080 completely maxed 1440p UW).

It doesn't make sense that BJ's father is an American bigot. Since his Polish name is not Americanized to Blaskovich, it's most likely he would be a first or second generation immigrant. It's likely he would also face racism himself. In the early 20th century immigrants from Poland or Italy still faced racism in America. The storyline probably has bigger flaws but it's something that was strange to me.

In general I don't think the devs have a good knowledge of history. Otherwise in TNO they wouldn't have a secret Jewish society as part of the storyline.The Nazis used the Jewish Bolvshevism conspiracy theory to justify the persecution of Jews. By having a powerful secret Jewish society in the game, it subtly legitimizes various anti-Semitic conspiracy theories that persist to this day. It was a bit insensitive to have that in the game.

It doesn't make sense that BJ's father is an American bigot. Since his Polish name is not Americanized to Blaskovich, it's most likely he would be a first or second generation immigrant. It's likely he would also face racism himself. In the early 20th century immigrants from Poland or Italy still faced racism in America. The storyline probably has bigger flaws but it's something that was strange to me.

In general I don't think the devs have a good knowledge of history. Otherwise in TNO they wouldn't have a secret Jewish society as part of the storyline.The Nazis used the Jewish Bolvshevism conspiracy theory to justify the persecution of Jews. By having a powerful secret Jewish society in the game, it subtly legitimizes various anti-Semitic conspiracy theories that persist to this day. It was a bit insensitive to have that in the game.
It was garbage to fit the narrative they were trying to build. No rich ass old school racist Texan would have ever married a Polish immigrant. If he did, he likely wouldn’t have been the stereotypical racist that we see in the game.

Yeah, it felt shoehorned in there for the sake of being woke, and was a bit off-putting.

I enjoyed the other games more for other reasons.

Wow, old thread. Also, the story in these games is usually just window dressing and I don't think it's intended for most people to read that much into them. I mean, I don't know anyone who watches a porno for the plot.

Back