Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

Also, I hate how hitting E does not always pick things up, or you have to try 2 or 3 times.

I just got through the acting tryout portion of the game and I agree more and more with this. Also, the auto pickup ability is annoying. I will stand on the armor blinking and won't pick it up, try to press E and it takes a few tries while strafing around. It usually happens when there is a lot of other graphical trash on the ground, ie: killing large armored soldiers who drop the armor shards. Yet when I purposely try to avoid the large health packs (when I am at 95 HP and don't want to waste a +80 until I need it), it auto picks up 10 feet away.

Side note - I'll get crap for this: But it still can't separate my mind from Blaso knowing so much german. In New Order he completely understodd all of Frau's interview questions in the train. In NC, he can understand all the german from the acting scene. As a young American soldier that flew over in a bomber, I find this hard to accept. Petty I know and the story would break if he didn't know it but it's hard to swallow.

Also, whoever came up with the name "Terror-Billy" needs a face slap. Annoys me every time I hear it in game. /pettyrant

This game is hard as fuck, wtf.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that your "normal" health amount is 50. But yeah, I am playing on medium-hard-ish and you die extremely quickly.

Pro tip: manual save A LOT, because the checkpoints in this game suck and are quite far apart - I've ended up having to replay large segments because I died and a checkpoint never happened.

This game is hard as fuck, wtf.

Which difficulty level? I went with Terror-Billy but had to dial it back one for that ridiculous final battle. This is not a spoiler, it's just ridiculous.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that your "normal" health amount is 50. But yeah, I am playing on medium-hard-ish and you die extremely quickly.

Pro tip: manual save A LOT, because the checkpoints in this game suck and are quite far apart - I've ended up having to replay large segments because I died and a checkpoint never happened.

I've found that the game will load your manual save sometimes after dying, and then other times, it ignores it entirely. The icon for saving is hard to spot sometimes so I forget when/where the game checkpointed me.

As for the health, I would have to say that vs TNO/TOB, the hit indicators have been toned down and there's less of a flash when your health is decreasing. That and the enemies have some ridiculous aim and armor seemingly does nothing. The damage mitigation is a bit flawed.

I didn't shoot the dog either. I really hated that scene and the game didn't even start yet! I guess since my dog had passed away recently that scene really was emotionally damaging to me. I know it's just a game but damn..... I shot away from the dog and then had to walk away from the computer for a while after that.

Otherwise, yeah it was a hard and frustrating game but overall I enjoyed it.

+1 to the manual save often tips!!

0d24df30-0609-4681-888e-70243b647b72.jpg

Get this error after 5 minutes of gameplay. Freeze and COULD NOT WRITE CRASH DUMP.

Then ctrl alt delete and kill process. Checked event viewer and uf that was not driver crash.

After that one single crash,able to play fine 6 hours without problems.

I am on 388.13 drivers. On 388.00 never get this error of 12 hours of gameplay.

I think its the drivers. My card Gtx 1080 Ti Founder Edition, no oc
Any ideas? Like i said on 388.00 no single crash during game. After i install 388.13 it crashed with this after 5 minutes. But after that crash i am 6 hour in game and no crash . Any ideas?

Last edited:
I get that error every time I exit the game or try to alt+tab out. I am able to play as long as I want to when I start the game though. same drivers, 388.13 but I only have a 970GTX.

I do notice a lot of memory faults in the game console at load.

I get that error once, after 5 minutes when i start game. After this i am whole few hours without that crash. So propably game related or drivers?

I get that error once, after 5 minutes when i start game. After this i am whole few hours without that crash. So propably game related or drivers?

The 388.13 drivers brake the game for me. I get hard reboots and game freezing. Used driver cleaner and went back to 388.00. Runs perfect now.

As for the health, I would have to say that vs TNO/TOB, the hit indicators have been toned down and there's less of a flash when your health is decreasing. That and the enemies have some ridiculous aim and armor seemingly does nothing. The damage mitigation is a bit flawed.

I didn't really think about it until you mentioned it but you're right - part of the problem is that you don't always know when you're taking damage until you're pretty much dead. The enemies do still have some insane aim and as you said, armor doesn't seem to really do much if anything, but half the time you don't even realize you're being shot.

I really like the new laser gun btw. Vaporizing Nazis is so satisfying

Ok . I left running game for 9 hours when going to work. I Call to my mother from work and ask....Is game running on a screen? She said yes. So not crashed anymore. So dont worry about that single crash? COULD NOT WRITE CRASH DUMP.

0d24df30-0609-4681-888e-70243b647b72.jpg

Get this error after 5 minutes of gameplay. Freeze and COULD NOT WRITE CRASH DUMP.

Then ctrl alt delete and kill process. Checked event viewer and uf that was not driver crash.

After that one single crash,able to play fine 6 hours without problems.

I am on 388.13 drivers. On 388.00 never get this error of 12 hours of gameplay.

I think its the drivers. My card Gtx 1080 Ti Founder Edition, no oc
Any ideas? Like i said on 388.00 no single crash during game. After i install 388.13 it crashed with this after 5 minutes. But after that crash i am 6 hour in game and no crash . Any ideas?
I got the same exact crash last night!

Just got what I assume is mid-way through.. I really like what they did with this game. Decent replay value with the different choices they give you gameplay wise.

I didn't want the pour dog to starve

Id say around a solid 8.5 out of 10 if your a fan of the series
Think i have to revise my Rating for this game UNFORTUNATELY..I have never in my life had so many driver crashes trying to play a game. I had to try many ideas in lower settings, and disabling settings like gpu culling and async compute just to make to the Manhattan level...It would freeze up every time i would open the door to check on Wyatt to enter the next level. Either my GPU is failing or this game is extremely Alpha. Either option looks very bad for AMD for me. I work 50+ hours a week every week and dont need the headache this card and game is giving me. I played a 300+ hours of DX12 gaming in DeusEx, The Division and several other DX11 games and had maybe 2 crashes. I have had around 30 FUCKING crashes in just this game!

The game is fun and looks good but trying to play it on an rx580 is turning into a disaster. How my card can pass firestrike stress test while even overclocked but cant make it 30 min in this game at default clocks? Is it a faulty card, driver or game? lol My guess is its the driver! but it still sucks

Think i have to revise my Rating for this game UNFORTUNATELY..I have never in my life had so many driver crashes trying to play a game. I had to try many ideas in lower settings, and disabling settings like gpu culling and async compute just to make to the Manhattan level...It would freeze up every time i would open the door to check on Wyatt to enter the next level. Either my GPU is failing or this game is extremely Alpha. Either option looks very bad for AMD for me. I work 50+ hours a week every week and dont need the headache this card and game is giving me. I played a 300+ hours of DX12 gaming in DeusEx, The Division and several other DX11 games and had maybe 2 crashes. I have had around 30 FUCKING crashes in just this game!

The game is fun and looks good but trying to play it on an rx580 is turning into a disaster. How my card can pass firestrike stress test while even overclocked but cant make it 30 min in this game at default clocks? Is it a faulty card, driver or game? lol My guess is its the driver! but it still sucks

Likely you have a hardware issue. Driver crashes like that are usually a result of hardware problems. I find that a lot of benchmarks don't actually stress the system on all fronts. I had a perfectly stable overclock on my 5820k, but for some reason BF1 kept locking up. It was the only game locking up so I thought it was the game. Dropped my overclock a little and it ran stable.

I would take a hard look at your system.

Likely you have a hardware issue. Driver crashes like that are usually a result of hardware problems. I find that a lot of benchmarks don't actually stress the system on all fronts. I had a perfectly stable overclock on my 5820k, but for some reason BF1 kept locking up. It was the only game locking up so I thought it was the game. Dropped my overclock a little and it ran stable.

I would take a hard look at your system.
the crashes are ALL AMD driver crashes! Not system lol The CARD could be going bad though!

Log Name: System
Source: Display
Date: 11/5/2017 11:49:09 AM
amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Last edited:
the crashes are ALL AMD driver crashes! Not system lol The CARD could be going bad though!

Like I said, just because a GPU benchmark runs fine doesn't mean there is something else in your system while running the game that is causing instability. It could be the card itself, or maybe your PSU is having issues at full system load thus causing the GPU to cause the driver to crash.

All I can say is that these days GPU driver crashes are almost always due to unstable hardware.

I don't think I'll ever forget the time period when ATi cards seemed to suck with OpenGL, with Vulkan being 'the next generation' of OpenGL, I'm never surprised when people complain that their AMD cards are having issues with games built on OpenGL or Vulkan.

I don't think I'll ever forget the time period when ATi cards seemed to suck with OpenGL, with Vulkan being 'the next generation' of OpenGL, I'm never surprised when people complain that their AMD cards are having issues with games built on OpenGL or Vulkan.
Certainly cant argue with this! lol
Im going to try and update to known good OLDER driver 17.7.2 and disable driver check in the game with latest patch....I have heard this idea works for certain rx580's...The simple truth is the latest AMD drivers have major issues with my xfx rx580....A few driver revisions back and everything was GOLDEN....I know its just a dumb fucking driver issue!

I could swear that Vulkan on Doom 2016 was pretty amazing for AMD cards.

I could swear that Vulkan on Doom 2016 was pretty amazing for AMD cards.
So far installing the older 17.7.2 driver over the top of the newest works like a charm! Also it appears the newer driver under volts the gpu quite a bit compared to the older 17.7...if it were not for RTSS running i might not of noticed....I wonder if thats all it was?
Its just some bad coding with the newest driver and my polaris card dont mix well it appears! To early to tell but performance and stability is amazing well after disabling the gosh dam driver check and using an older driver!

Other people were having same issue here: So the FIX works great! There wasnt a fucking thing wrong with my hardware lol!

Originally posted by N2OBagus:
Originally posted by Rockford Stone:
I'm now running AMD crimson 17.7.2 and all is good using the Disable Driver Check. Previously, after updating to 17.10.3 to game was freezing then crashing to desktop. I'm running Win 10 1709. AMD RX580. Just thought I would tell you.
Thanks a lot bro, i had your own problem and i solved it. I too have AMD RX580 and WIN 10 1709.Yep...This worked for me as well! AMD's newer driver are complete garbage on rx580's!

My gripe is the game originally was forcing me to use a faulty driver on my card! Thank god they added the "disable driver check in latest patch"

Last edited:
6C41E3E74C1427490113DE6BE264BE07F4B36250

Older working driver

14FF7644945FF8B3DCC4D977831C8992D4B6CE3E

AMD's newest SHIT driver! Notice the GPU voltage difference! As well as the GPU usage! Fuck it, it works now!

How is this compared to The Old Blood? I couldn't get more than a couple hours into that one... did finish and thoroughly enjoy The New Order though.

How is this compared to The Old Blood? I couldn't get more than a couple hours into that one... did finish and thoroughly enjoy The New Order though.
Seems like more of a new order part 2 to me!

Reactions: w35t
like this
yes way more like New Order than Old Blood. It's very much story driven. OId Blood, didn't have much of a Story IMO (and I too thought it was just a mediocre game - but I loved New Order)

I personally find Wolfenstein II dark and very intense, - so much so that that I'm not finding it as hard to put down as New Order. Actually, I have to put it down and take breaks regularly. It's probably the darkest/heaviest game I've ever played.

It's also very difficult. I started at one difficulty above default, because I enjoy a challenge -- then after NY section I dropped the difficulty to default because while I enjoy a challenge, I don't enjoy beating my head against the wall. I recently just dropped the difficulty again tonight to 2nd easiest in the Courtroom where you are facing the judge - because it's just so darn unforgiving. The game doesn't take it easy on the player. I die often, and it's always impactful.

My heart is getting a workout from the intensity of the action. The music, the mood, the dialogue -- everything is heavy and very intense. It's a thrill ride to be sure.

Nobody has yet to answer me so i'll try again. I am curious if anyone else has these issues...

1. Muffled sounding sound effects. They don't sound as crisp as they should be.
  2. Screen tearing no matter what I do whether in Nvidia control panel setting VSync, or in-game I still get screen tearing.
  3. Large horizontal black lines through ALL cutscenes
  4. fucked-up skybox textures missing
I am on the latest Nvidia drivers on a brand new install of Windows 10 Pro.

The muffled sound effects drove me nuts! It’s like every enemy has a silenced weapon...

Muffled sound yes, sometimes I die from being shot and had no idea they were right behind me. No hit indicators, no shot sounds, nothing. To me, it seems this issue only effects the soldiers. The super robot soldiers I can hear without issue generally.

Nobody has yet to answer me so i'll try again. I am curious if anyone else has these issues...

1. Muffled sounding sound effects. They don't sound as crisp as they should be.
  2. Screen tearing no matter what I do whether in Nvidia control panel setting VSync, or in-game I still get screen tearing.
  3. Large horizontal black lines through ALL cutscenes
  4. fucked-up skybox textures missing
I am on the latest Nvidia drivers on a brand new install of Windows 10 Pro.

1080TI here:
1) I experienced muffled sound for the first time in the courtroom scene - where you were being found guilty and there was the dream sequence. It wasn't overwhelmingly muffled, but it was muffled -- but when I figured out it was a dream sequence I bet it was intentional to have the change in sound?.?.
2) not when I enabled adaptive sync at 60Hz.
3) no
4) no

you guys with the muffled sound issues - are you using onboard sound or some dedicated soundcard?

1080TI here:
1) I experienced muffled sound for the first time in the courtroom scene - where you were being found guilty and there was the dream sequence. It wasn't overwhelmingly muffled, but it was muffled -- but when I figured out it was a dream sequence I bet it was intentional to have the change in sound?.?.
2) not when I enabled adaptive sync at 60Hz.
3) no
4) no

I have a 1080ti as well. Are you enabling adaptive sync through the Nvidia Control Panel and leaving Vsync set to off in-game?

I have a 1080ti as well. Are you enabling adaptive sync through the Nvidia Control Panel and leaving Vsync set to off in-game?
everything is default in NVidia control panel. (except digital vibrance is turned to 55* and I enabled 10 bit for my monitor).
I chose adaptive sync in the in-game menus.

I was getting tearing before I enabled adaptive sync.

everything is default in NVidia control panel. (except digital vibrance is turned to 55* and I enabled 10 bit for my monitor).
I chose adaptive sync in the in-game menus.

I was getting tearing before I enabled adaptive sync.

I will try it again when I get home, but I just don't understand how after trying all those in-game settings as well as through Nvidia control panel that I could still be getting screen-tearing. Just doesn't seem possible.

I will try it again when I get home, but I just don't understand how after trying all those in-game settings as well as through Nvidia control panel that I could still be getting screen-tearing. Just doesn't seem possible.
are you using a freesync monitor with your NVidia card?

you may be seeing frame skipping?

for instance - if you have a 75Hz freesync and try to run 75Hz with an NVidia card a great number of the freesync monitors out there will frame skip. to get the 75Hz the graphics card has to be AMD.

not all monitors - but probably more that do - than don't.

my freesync based HP Omens are that way. 75hz with an AMD card and Freesync works great (my former AMD Fury X). 75hz on Nvidia (1080TI) is a frame skipping nightmare. I have to run them at 60hz. I don't know your setup - but just an idea.

Try this test to see:
https://www.testufo.com/frameskipping

or this one:
https://www.testufo.com/stutter

Someone pointed out on another forum that the character models were much better in New Order.
I definitely agree.
I wonder what happened?

left New Order Anna
right Collosus Anna

26345382349_4111bcb579_b.jpg

Lest you forget --here is a cinematic with Anna from the New Order game. New order had way better models. Anyone read why this is? Is it setting we need to flip? I noticed the character models were clunky from the very beginning - but it's forgivable because the environments are so good. I guess I didn't realize how bad they were compared to the 2014 models until you see them side by side.

New Order

Last edited:
are you using a freesync monitor with your NVidia card?

you may be seeing frame skipping?

for instance - if you have a 75Hz freesync and try to run 75Hz with an NVidia card a great number of the freesync monitors out there will frame skip. to get the 75Hz the graphics card has to be AMD.

not all monitors - but probably more that do - than don't.

my freesync based HP Omens are that way. 75hz with an AMD card and Freesync works great (my former AMD Fury X). 75hz on Nvidia (1080TI) is a frame skipping nightmare. I have to run them at 60hz. I don't know your setup - but just an idea.

Try this test to see:
https://www.testufo.com/frameskipping

or this one:
https://www.testufo.com/stutter

I am actually using the Samsung KS series TV in my sig. Not sure about the specifics, but I know it does 4K @ 60hz.

Back