Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

another weird Friday release for Wolfenstein (and AC: Origins)...is Friday becoming the new Tuesday for game releases in the USA?

The Friday releases are pissing me off because if you don't purchase digitally you aren't getting the game for the weekend as they typically don't ship it out until the day it releases.

another weird Friday release for Wolfenstein (and AC: Origins)...is Friday becoming the new Tuesday for game releases in the USA?

I believe the US is one of the few countries with Tuesday releases. So doing Friday makes more sense when doing a worldwide release.

I'm pretty excited for this at least from a technical standpoint. Given that it will likely run as good as Doom does means it will make this game that much better. While New Order / Old Blood were also awesome games they both just don't run that great and would have been better games without the 60 FPS frame cap.

I've been firing up The New Order and the amount of jank in that game is driving me crazy. I forgot that I had never gotten it working right and it kind of pisses me off.

The frame cap can be lifted with id 5 tweaker, but... sigh.

I think The Old Blood ran better, and I'll probably play some of that tonight.

Reactions: dgz
like this
Yeah, they just kind of appeared. The requirements are up on the Steam store page though so it all looks legit.

MachineGames made a post on Steam about it: http://steamcommunity.com/games/612880/announcements/detail/3023465048843443977

• RECOMMENDED:
    • Processor: Intel Core i7-4770/AMD FX-9370 or better
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB/AMD Radeon RX 470 4GB or better
That seems pretty easy in terms of a new game to me. Will be interesting to see what becomes of it.

interesting...I'm going to miss those mega-textures

"The New Colossus version of the id Tech engine is no longer mega-texture based, which means we have a lot more control over when and what textures are being streamed in," he explained. "With that said, there will always be texture streaming, but in a way that will cause a lot less risk of noticeable issues."

Last edited:
Updated specs: https://bethesda.net/community/topic/115527/wolfenstein-ii-pc-specs-features

Minimum

CPU: AMD
AMD Ryzen 5 1400 or AMD FX-8350

CPU: Intel
Intel i5-3570 or Intel i7-3770

GPU: AMD
AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB

GPU: NVidia
NVIDIA GTX 770 4GB

RAM: 8GB
Operating System: Win7, 8.1**, or 10 (64-Bit versions)

** AMD GPU drivers no longer support Windows 8.1

Hard Drive Space: 55GB available hard drive space

Additional Requirements: Steam account and broadband internet connection for activation and installation

Recommended

CPU: AMD

AMD Ryzen 5 1600X or AMD FX-9370

CPU: Intel
Intel Core i7-4770

GPU: AMD
AMD Radeon RX 470 4GB

GPU: NVIDIA
NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB

RAM: 16GB

Operating System: Win7, 8.1**, or 10 (64-Bit versions)

** AMD GPU drivers no longer support Windows 8.1

Hard Drive Space: 55GB available hard drive space

Additional Requirements: Steam account and broadband internet connection for activation and installation

Not a big divide between minimum and recommended at all. ~10% difference in CPU and ~15% in GPU.

So how do these releases usually go? Will it be unlocked at 12AM Thursday night? Preload before that? I did the pre order from CDKEYS.

So how do these releases usually go? Will it be unlocked at 12AM Thursday night? Preload before that? I did the pre order from CDKEYS.

Pre-load is already live. Exact launch time is up to the publisher. I don't remember if Bethesda does midnight or noon launches.

I've been firing up The New Order and the amount of jank in that game is driving me crazy. I forgot that I had never gotten it working right and it kind of pisses me off.

The frame cap can be lifted with id 5 tweaker, but... sigh.

I think The Old Blood ran better, and I'll probably play some of that tonight.

Thanks. I didn't know id 5 tweaker existed. Looks like this person has found a way to enable high FPS without braking the games. It's time to replay RAGE. Then Wolfenstein 2009. If only that mod worked with id4 too :)

Thanks. I didn't know id 5 tweaker existed. Looks like this person has found a way to enable high FPS without braking the games. It's time to replay RAGE. Then Wolfenstein 2009. If only that mod worked with id4 too :)

I've been playing little chunks of RAGE here and there over the course of the last several months. I haven't played Wolf09 for a long time though. I need to install that again. Maybe I'll do it after I play the new one.

I've been playing little chunks of RAGE here and there over the course of the last several months. I haven't played Wolf09 for a long time though. I need to install that again. Maybe I'll do it after I play the new one.

I wish Wolf09 was still for sale on Steam. I'd love for Bethesda to either buy the publishing rights from Acti or work out some kind of deal so it can go back on sale.

I wish Wolf09 was still for sale on Steam. I'd love for Bethesda to either buy the publishing rights from Acti or work out some kind of deal so it can go back on sale.

Probably an oddball situation there. I enjoyed the game. Looking forward to playing it again sometime. However, it really wasn't that well received when it came out. I'm guessing they don't think many people would buy it, or they probably would have grabbed it by now. Quake 4 is available and it was published by Activision too if I remember correctly. I'm guessing quite a few people would buy it, (especially after that recent Prey / Wolf09 thread on here) but maybe not enough to offset the cost of getting the property back? Not sure, total speculation on my part. I hope they do acquire it though. Maybe GOG would have better luck.

Probably an oddball situation there. I enjoyed the game. Looking forward to playing it again sometime. However, it really wasn't that well received when it came out. I'm guessing they don't think many people would buy it, or they probably would have grabbed it by now. Quake 4 is available and it was published by Activision too if I remember correctly. I'm guessing quite a few people would buy it, (especially after that recent Prey / Wolf09 thread on here) but maybe not enough to offset the cost of getting the property back? Not sure, total speculation on my part. I hope they do acquire it though. Maybe GOG would have better luck.

I recall not hating Wolf09 and wouldn't mind giving it another shot. I recall the gunplay feeling pretty good and the powers being fun. Can't remember a darn thing about the plot though.

Old Blood's performance is better than New Order, I'm not just imagining it. It's got to be frame pacing.

Wolf09 wasn't bad, but it wasn't that great either. It had this semi-open world aspect that was interesting, but it just wasn't that great overall.

Classy.

itc6si1ah4uz.png

Game runs similar to DOOM apparently.

Yep, idtech6. While other developers are still farting around with DX11 and ignoring DX12, these guys are embracing the future with Vulkan - great to see another showcase for it.

God forbid we eventually see Linux versions of both TNC and Doom2016.

does AMD still have a major advantage with Vulkan or has Nvidia closed the gap a bit?

I recall it not being much better over OpenGL for nvidia. It helps AMD but it doesn’t make it any better then nvidia in OpenGL anyways.

Yeah, I think it more or less levels the playing field a bit. I'm not sure about raw performance, as I didn't do any heavy testing, but when I played Doom originally, it seemed to run more smoothly in OpenGL on my 1070. I think the actual performance was fairly similar, but something about it felt a little more consistent in OpenGL on the NV hardware at least.

Considering picking this up, sort of wondering how long the campaign is though. No reviews have really mentioned it as far as I can tell.

Considering picking this up, sort of wondering how long the campaign is though. No reviews have really mentioned it as far as I can tell.
Long enough. I'd say the length of the previous games provide a pretty good estimate.

Long enough. I'd say the length of the previous games provide a pretty good estimate.

Yeeahh...I don't remember how long they were, lol. :p I do remember them being fun, though, so I will probably grab this one.

Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus Polygon review- score 9.0
https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/26/16551274/wolfenstein-2-the-new-colossus-review

This sequel successfully builds on what made its predecessor great...The New Colossus feels like it welcomes multiple playthroughs where you try to do things a different way, or take a different path with your upgrades and loadout selections...I was also asked to make a narrative decision early in the game that changed certain aspects of the story. I want to play through at least once more to see everything there is to see

PCGamer- score 81
http://www.pcgamer.com/wolfenstein-2-the-new-colossus-review/

from the PCGamer review...

" It took me 14 hours to finish The New Colossus, while taking the time to explore environments properly and do extra missions, and depending on the difficulty, methodology and the type of player you are, I imagine it would take most people 11-16 hours"

from the PCGamer review...

" It took me 14 hours to finish The New Colossus, while taking the time to explore environments properly and do extra missions, and depending on the difficulty, methodology and the type of player you are, I imagine it would take most people 11-16 hours"

Must have missed that one, thanks.

Waiting for a 75% off sale for this one for sure. Reviews seem positive, but getting a bad vibe from the way it was marketed.

Waiting for a 75% off sale for this one for sure. Reviews seem positive, but getting a bad vibe from the way it was marketed.

Of course you're free to do that, but it's good enough to play, but not because they didn't market it enough to your tastes? If you hadn't watched any of the promotional material, then played it because it's historically an excellent franchise, would it be worth it then? That doesn't make sense to me.

Of course you're free to do that, but it's good enough to play, but not because they didn't market it enough to your tastes? If you hadn't watched any of the promotional material, then played it because it's historically an excellent franchise, would it be worth it then? That doesn't make sense to me.

I enjoyed the previous games a lot. But I'm not liking the vibe I get from their twitter feed and the trailers. Maybe it's just how the state of the US politics is, IDK.

I enjoyed the previous games a lot. But I'm not liking the vibe I get from their twitter feed and the trailers. Maybe it's just how the state of the US politics is, IDK.

I find it hilarious...I think they are really playing up the "punching Nazis" thing just to continuously troll the folks who thought a game about killing Nazis was ever "political" for some reason.

News flash...Wolfenstein has been around for a long, long time and it's always been about killing Nazis.

I find it hilarious...I think they are really playing up the "punching Nazis" thing just to continuously troll the folks who thought a game about killing Nazis was ever "political" for some reason.

News flash...Wolfenstein has been around for a long, long time and it's always been about killing Nazis.

yeah if someone played the previous games then I don't see how they could be offended by this new one...it's just more of the same over the top craziness

I don't let US politics decide what I'm going to play, nor some publisher's misguided attempts to appeal to... ...who knows who really... I do know that the game looks incredibly fun, and that is what I buy a game for. Sure, I'll take it at a mild discount via CDKeys or something, but they deserve more than 25% a copy for making a good game. Machine Games made the game, not Bethesda's marketing department or Twitter-Monkey.

Back