Wolfenstein/Doom3 deals at GMG: New Order $24, Wolf 3D $1, RTCW $2, Doom 3 BFG: $4

KarateBob

Gawd
In honor of Quakecon, GMG has a 24 hour 75% off sale on some Wolfenstein and Doom
http://www.greenmangaming.com/wolfenstein-doom-deals/

Use code P36EYA-K5JYKT-ABO7X9 at checkout for 20% off

Wolf: New Order for $24
Wolf 3D for $1
Return to Castle Wolfenstein for $2
Doom 3 for $2
Doom 3 BFG for $4
and Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil for $2

activated on Steam
thanks to Discombobulated at slickdeals

I picked up New Order during the Steam summer sale for $30 and it was worth every penny I highly recommend it for $24.

is doom 3 a better buy than the BFG edition? I heard that the bfg edition has worse graphics and can't be modded.

is doom 3 a better buy than the BFG edition? I heard that the bfg edition has worse graphics and can't be modded.

BFG has RoE included as well as doom/doom2 and some graphical updates but no mod support which can make vanilla doom 3 look better.

BFG has RoE included as well as doom/doom2 and some graphical updates but no mod support which can make vanilla doom 3 look better.

That sums it up pretty well, although despite the graphical enhancements it does take a step back with respect to the flashlight. They incorporated a version of the duct tape mod to assuage those who bitched about the "equip a weapon OR the flashlight -- not both" gameplay in 2004, but it comes with a drawback:

IGN said:
You'll be thankful that the flashlight in Doom 3 is now a toggle instead of a separate weapon you need to equip, but it no longer casts dynamic shadows, even in the PC version.

Stupid consoles. They should have fixed that for PC and not been lazy...unless it was a limitation of the engine (but that seems like going backwards from the 2004 version).

I think even vanilla Doom 3 without mods looks better than BFG. The motion blur they added looks really out of place and is distracting. The "duct tape" mod for the flashlight completely ruins a key gameplay mechanic that I thought made the original interesting. Textures in BFG, while they look higher res, look more blurry. I think the character models look worse... Even the 3D implementation is junk in my opinion.

The list goes on and on for me. Vanilla D3 and RoE is just a much better and less infuriating experience.

Oh one more thing to point out: you can't customize the myriad settings with your own autoexec.cfg like vanilla. This means not being able to unlock the framerate. You're stuck with 60 or 120 FPS with the in-game options.

I think even vanilla Doom 3 without mods looks better than BFG. The motion blur they added looks really out of place and is distracting. The "duct tape" mod for the flashlight completely ruins a key gameplay mechanic that I thought made the original interesting. Textures in BFG, while they look higher res, look more blurry. I think the character models look worse... Even the 3D implementation is junk in my opinion.

The list goes on and on for me. Vanilla D3 and RoE is just a much better and less infuriating experience.

Oh one more thing to point out: you can't customize the myriad settings with your own autoexec.cfg like vanilla. This means not being able to unlock the framerate. You're stuck with 60 or 120 FPS with the in-game options.

Interesting. I remember reading some comments that the graphics in the BFG Edition were worse than the original, despite being updated / higher-res. Now I know what they probably meant by those comments.

As for Doom and Doom II, are those really built-in to the game or are they available from the menu and it just launches them in DosBox or something? I already have them separately in Steam; just wondering for kicks and grins.

Interesting. I remember reading some comments that the graphics in the BFG Edition were worse than the original, despite being updated / higher-res. Now I know what they probably meant by those comments.

As for Doom and Doom II, are those really built-in to the game or are they available from the menu and it just launches them in DosBox or something? I already have them separately in Steam; just wondering for kicks and grins.
There is a menu in-game where you have to choose which game to play, and this includes Doom and Doom ][. They do not run in DOSBox. I believe that these versions are based on the Xbox 360 Arcade versions.

There is a menu in-game where you have to choose which game to play, and this includes Doom and Doom ][. They do not run in DOSBox. I believe that these versions are based on the Xbox 360 Arcade versions.

Thanks. What I wouldn't give for full version remakes of Doom and Doom II using the Doom 3 engine.

According to SD, the deal is dead, but Steam is also running a sale on these games for a slightly higher price. For example, RTCW was $2.50 there vs. $2 @ GMG.

Is the Wolf game that came out a few years ago abandonware now? It doesn't seem to be on sale anywhere.

Get BFG. It runs at 120 Hz, runs slightly more fluidly in general, has tighter latency and is overall a more solid experience.

Actually, just get both and decide which you like most :)

Is the Wolf game that came out a few years ago abandonware now? It doesn't seem to be on sale anywhere.

Same question. I know that Steam used to sell it. Most people thought it was very meh but I personally wouldn't mind having a copy of it just to say I played it.

Bah, I just noticed that it's a GFWL title.

Same question. I know that Steam used to sell it. Most people thought it was very meh but I personally wouldn't mind having a copy of it just to say I played it.

Bah, I just noticed that it's a GFWL title.
What? Wolfenstein 2009 is not a GFWL title.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It is just a "games for windows" title not "games for windows live". So basically all it has is a logo on the box and no silly game client to worry about.

Whoops, you're right. Sorry, I had forgotten that there was a distinction there. Long day and I'm about to fall asleep typing this.

Good news, then! And now we return to your regularly scheduled thread...

It's not on sale anymore because the multiplayer stopped being supported, even though the game has a good sized single player campaign... Which pisses me off because I wanted to buy this game at one point... But hey, if the publisher really doesn't want my money...

My Steam wishlist still has a bunch of games on it listed at the top that they no longer sell. It's my little way of advertising that people still want to buy those games.

My Steam wishlist still has a bunch of games on it listed at the top that they no longer sell. It's my little way of advertising that people still want to buy those games.

Which ones do you have in your list? I knew about Prey, Wolfenstein, Ghostbusters, Fuel, Crysis 2, Deadpool, Blur, Stubbs the Zombie, Cryostasis, and Bulletstorm (recently added back to the store).

Then there are other cases where they took an older version down and replaced it with an upgraded version, such as with Divinity II, Deus Ex: HR and the first two Batman Arkham games...but that's a bit different obviously, as most of the time no one wants to buy the older games as long as they're replaced with something better.

Which ones do you have in your list? I knew about Prey, Wolfenstein, Ghostbusters, Fuel, Crysis 2, Deadpool, Blur, Stubbs the Zombie, Cryostasis, and Bulletstorm (recently added back to the store).

Then there are other cases where they took an older version down and replaced it with an upgraded version, such as with Divinity II, Deus Ex: HR and the first two Batman Arkham games...but that's a bit different obviously, as most of the time no one wants to buy the older games as long as they're replaced with something better.
Can't think of them all off the top of my head. I know Neverwinter Nights 2 is on there... I wanted to try Bloodstone, that Activision Bond game because I read good things about it, but it never went on sale before it was taken down. A couple others I'm forgetting. Crysis 2 Maximum Edition was put on Steam after the original had been taken down. Pretty sure I saw it on sale during the Christmas sale, too.

Back