Woke up to a dead video card? (7970)

mkrohn

2[H]4U
This morning I woke up to a system that wouldn't turn on. I traced it down to a 7970. I put in a different card and the system fired right up. I've put this 7970 into a different system as the second card and windows doesn't pick it up and no video output when I plug into it.

Any other steps? The fans spin so the card powers on and it was working in the system just last night.

Most likely the culprit. Have to watch the VRM temps and volts going to your card (heavily overclocking while mining is not a good idea).

Wasn't heavily overclocked or over volted. I opened everything up and it did have heatsinks on everything that needs to be cooled I think.

Anybody have the screws for a reference cooler? bought it with the accelero on it already

Hmm, accelero & vrms can be problems. Especially if the fan rpm doesn't get high enough because the gpu temp is ok, the vrms probably aren't. Careful of the vrm temps, especially for mining.

Hmm, accelero & vrms can be problems. Especially if the fan rpm doesn't get high enough because the gpu temp is ok, the vrms probably aren't. Careful of the vrm temps, especially for mining.

yeah I was wanting to put the reference blower back on but just didn't have the screws so I would bet on that being the issue here.

Mining does not kill cards. Excessive temps at some place on the card do. Mining does a good job exposing these sorts of issues is all.

Indeed mining does not kill cards, but it does expose flaws in them. I have cards which have been going 24/7 for years now. Careful monitoring and maintenance such as greasing the fans is all that is needed in my experience.

Was going to put an accelero on my 6950 and noticed the VRM temps were higher than with the stock cooler, needless to say the accelero went back to the box, the fans were inconsistent, another vote for vrms being dead

Wasn't heavily overclocked or over volted. I opened everything up and it did have heatsinks on everything that needs to be cooled I think.
Given the crap VRM heatsinks the Acclero's come with, it may not have been needed to be overclocked to still fail.

Back